Denied Job Advancement due to Body Size

Options
Has anyone not been able to get a job due to their size?

I have years of customer service under my belt and want to move from one department to another (marketing) but I feel I am not even an option because of my size.

Pretty hurtful especially when they approach me about using my Marketing test results as a base for all new hires in that department.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What makes you think it's due to your size?

(serious question)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I have years of customer service under my belt and want to move from one department to another (marketing) but I feel I am not even an option because of my size.

Pretty hurtful especially when they approach me about using my Marketing test results as a base for all new hires in that department.

So they didn't actually tell you this, you just feel it? Okay..
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Did they tell you that?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    did they seriously tell you that.

because that's a major HR no no and you could complain to the labor board.

just because you "feel" its your size doesn't make it true.

it just does not, it could be any number of factors including your capability.

just because they come to you for marketing advice doesn't mean they feel you are fully capable of the full scope of the job.

ask them why, and then fix what they need you to fix.

but I highly doubt that it's your size and they can't tell you that...that's discrimination
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I asked out a girl once. She denied me. Now, I thought she was being racist because she's white and I'm Asian.

Turns out that she denied me because I'm a creep and have terrible personality and asked her out by saying "I have been collecting your hair for a while. I think its time I get inside you"
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to be a jockey.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to be a jockey.

n500e6146ead07large.gif
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Have you even applied? You say you "feel" like it's not an option?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    With pretty eyes and a cute smile like yours?
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options

[/quote
  • AleshaRae82
    AleshaRae82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work in the yachting industry and the current hiring trend for Concierge/Marketing Team has been slender, attractive people yet they lack the brains.

For the marketing director to ask me today if he could use my results as a base really put everything into perspective.
    He knows my desire to work with him - and agrees that I can handle the job.

Yet I will not get the job because I do not fit the image they are looking for??

I haven't been outright denied the position but his action truly speak for him.
    Am I wrong for thinking this?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I work in the yachting industry and the current hiring trend for Concierge/Marketing Team has been slender, attractive people yet they lack the brains.

For the marketing director to ask me today if he could use my results as a base really put everything into perspective.

Yet I will not get the job because I do not fit the image they are looking for??

you will never know until you take a swing.....
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

grow some balls and grab that job. you can do it. just go in acting like its already yours.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Why not ask about the position? Why not ask him why you're not being considered. Communication is key in any job.
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I got the job where I work now at a big size 16. A fair number of my co-workers are also bigger. (This is what happens when you sit 8 to 15 hours a day staring at a computer screen.) I wouldn't assume that it is your body size.

If you really think they are discriminating, you're ready for more responsibility, or they're not giving you the opportunity to grow, then maybe you should think about looking for a new job.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    did they seriously tell you that.

because that's a major HR no no and you could complain to the labor board.

just because you "feel" its your size doesn't make it true.

it just does not, it could be any number of factors including your capability.

just because they come to you for marketing advice doesn't mean they feel you are fully capable of the full scope of the job.

ask them why, and then fix what they need you to fix.

but I highly doubt that it's your size and they can't tell you that...that's discrimination

Where I am (Canada) size is not a protected status. I went through this when my cousin was warned she would be fired from her job as a waitress if she gained any more weight.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I do think you have reason to feel upset. He's using your work, but not promoting you.
  • docdick9120
    docdick9120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have not hired people because of their size and the limited work space the job had to done in. Of course I never told them that their size was a factor.
    Most of us large people have felt the sting of discrimination in one way or another over the years.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I feel like you're making some big assumptions about what your boss is thinking and is likely to do. You may not get the job if you try for it. But if you don't try for it then you definitely won't get it.
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Maybe it's not your size he sees as your barrier, but your lack of "go-getter" attitude. I don't mean that to be rude, but he hasn't said that was the reason or even hinted at it (from the info you given) just because he knows you would love the position doesn't mean he sees the fire in your eyes to obtain the position.
    I think maybe you're projecting your negative body image on to him. I do the same thing I am my harshest critic.