Contact Lenses Question

Options
OspreyVista
OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
I just started wearing contacts for the first time. I really dislike having to wear glasses. However, is it normal to feel grumpy and irritated with them at the beginning of first wearing them? If so, does it get better and how long does it take? I keep wanting to rub at my eyes and take them out. At the same time, I really want to feel comfortable wearing them because, well, I don't want to wear glasses.

Thanks!

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    lasik
  • NorthernGRITS33
    NorthernGRITS33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My eye doctor had me wear my contacts for a little while each day when I first got them. So, when I wore them all day, my eyes were comfortable with them. Now, every once in awhile, they will get dry...but I'm pretty sure that's bc of where I live. (Thank you, desert wind.) If they REALLY bug u, maybe u should go back to ur eye doctor and get a different brand.
  • OspreyVista
    Options
    lasik

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not getting lasik. I'm asking about contact lenses.
  • OspreyVista
    Options
    My eye doctor had me wear my contacts for a little while each day when I first got them. So, when I wore them all day, my eyes were comfortable with them. Now, every once in awhile, they will get dry...but I'm pretty sure that's bc of where I live. (Thank you, desert wind.) If they REALLY bug u, maybe u should go back to ur eye doctor and get a different brand.

They are supposed to call me in a couple of days. I was just wondering if it was normal. The first contacts I tried didn't bother my eyes at all, other than I couldn't focus on anything. These ones the vision is much better, but they are irritating my eyes.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't remember. I'm sure you'll get used to it. Although, my dad tried and tried and he couldn't do it. I started wearing contacts at 14 and I've been wearing them ever since. I don't even need a mirror to put them in or take them out. Now, I've been trying to wear my glasses more often at home to give my eyes a break and it actually hurts my eyes and makes them water when I wear my glasses because it's been so long.

ETA: you may need a different type of contacts. They make different kinds. Talk to your eye doctor and see what he/she suggests. They would know best, after all.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    No, it could be the brand. Some lenses are more comfortable than others. Ask your optomistrist about getting a trial pair of another brand.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I know...it was just a shortened reply. Other than issues with irritation my perscription was so bad I could see when I took them out at night and it was so bad my glasses gave me headaches.

Just saying that if they continue to bother you I'd strongly consider the worth of the surgery.

I got contacts at 12 out of life necessity for the sports I played and it took me about a week to get used them.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    test them out for a little bit longer and see how it goes...if not have your eye doc give you a different brand because they shouldnt bother you too much or irritate. Are they turning red? what kind you have?

but the switch will probably make you a little moody. I wear contacts all the time. If I wear my glasses one day they make me feel super tired
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    No, it could be the brand. Some lenses are more comfortable than others. Ask your optomistrist about getting a trial pair of another brand.
    I went through three different brands and styles before landing on the right one for me. Also, I can't use *any* lens solution that has preservatives in it or my eyes get really red and itchy....try changing contact solution.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be conscious of them being in your eyes. I'd go back to the doctor and have them refitted or get a different brand.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's all about the brand. I wore uncomfortable contacts for a LOOOOONG time. They shouldn't be uncomfortable to wear. The sensation may take a week or so to get used to, but it shouldn't be uncomfortable. I used Air Optics now and they're the best I've tried in my 12+ years in contacts.
  • doctorwhome
    doctorwhome Posts: 59
    Options
    I agree with trying different brands or even different types. I thought I would really like the kind you could sleep in for 30 days. I wanted to rip my eyes out after the first 3 days.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I know...it was just a shortened reply. Other than issues with irritation my perscription was so bad I could see when I took them out at night and it was so bad my glasses gave me headaches.

Just saying that if they continue to bother you I'd strongly consider the worth of the surgery.

I got contacts at 12 out of life necessity for the sports I played and it took me about a week to get used them.

I had a few issues with contacts, but switching to different kinds/brands would usually help. Then I started having more problems after 15 years of wearing them and also had Lasik...so worth the money :)

However, talk to the dr and see if there is a different one to try.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It just takes a little while especially if you're not used to wearing them. I'd say if you go two days and they're still uncomfortable to go back to the eye doc and get a different brand. That's just my personal opinion though, nothing medical to support the two day limit.

Personally I hate wearing contacts. My prescription is good enough that I only wear my glasses if I need to see clearly at a distance (driving). My contacts I only wear when I have a race, and I'll usually start wearing them a day before so I'm used to them.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think its normal...I'd get back in and try another brand for sure. You really shouldn't feel them at all.
  • OspreyVista
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I did have a different brand before, and they felt fine in my eyes other than I had problems with vision.
  • beyourown
    beyourown Posts: 18
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone said, give it a few more days, but It is most likely the brand you are using. I would keep trying contacts until you find the right pair for you. =)
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I first got contacts when I was around 13 I think, and wore them every day until last year (I'm 25 now - so 10+ years), when I switched back to glasses due to cost (my insurance no longer covers anything, and I can get by on a pair of glasses for several years - whereas you have to get a new eye exam every year in order to buy more contacts).

I actually had similar problems switching back to the glasses! I felt more tired and didn't like it at all...but I got used it, and now they're fine (other than being annoying to excercise in).
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    This!

You should try other brands. One does not fit all.