ANY 40(ish) YEAR OLD WOMEN ON WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY??

Options
emmagsosa
emmagsosa Posts: 11 Member
In February of this year, I embarked on a weight loss journey. I'm 5'2" and started at 159.5lbs. I've lost 13 pounds (which I'm happy about). I've been stalking the posts regularly and see a lot of young women that are losing pretty steadily (congrats)!!!

Just wondering if there are any other women in their 40's that are out there. Is your weight loss slow??? If not, what are you doing to speed it up??? I'm eating 1200 calories a day and Im on my 2nd week of the couch to 5K running plan.

Appreciate all your suggestions!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

Replies

• emmagsosa
    Options
    Sorry, just realized i posted in "Success Stories" board. Probably not the right place.
  • flower147
    flower147 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just turned 43. I have been on this site for a while but never really try to loose weight. (and a lot of other bad habits) But since my birthday, I have really been trying (only a week) Feel free to add me and I will let you know about my progress.
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just turned 42 last week. I'm 5'2" & my starting weight was 271.5. I currently weigh 249.25 & started my journey in the first week of December 2012. No diet - just changed my views/thoughts on eating. I also started being more active - I joined a bowling league once a week (that ended in April, but will start back up again in September). I started taking Zumba in January for an hour once a week, but haven't gone the past 3 weeks due to starting softball & getting injured (calf muscle and now my ankle). I love softball (play double-headers on Thursday nights), but my body just needs to remember how to play (it's been 25+ years). I believe my daily caloric intake is 1730 & do my best to eat as close to it as I can. I haven't incorporated weights into my activity yet. I figure it took me YEARS to put on all the weight (21 years of marriage & 3 kids), so it's not going to come off overnight. Slow & steady wins the race! :wink:
  • Nenusky
    Nenusky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 40 and my weight loss is slooooow!But i'm plodding on. I have determined to lower my carbs further and jog 4-5 times a week; and kettle bell exercises thrice a week.
  • emmagsosa
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! i just need to be more patient!!! You would think that after 3 kids, i would have mastered that!!!
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and started on 4/22/2013. I have lost as of this morning 12.6 pounds, haven't updated my ticker yet. I have been eating anywhere from 1250-1400 calories .. each day is different probably. I do very little exercise at this point. Walking is all I do if I do anything. I need to get my food under control first and lose some weight before adding in exercise.

Good luck to you!
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In February of this year, I embarked on a weight loss journey. I'm 5'2" and started at 159.5lbs. I've lost 13 pounds (which I'm happy about). I've been stalking the posts regularly and see a lot of young women that are losing pretty steadily (congrats)!!!

Just wondering if there are any other women in their 40's that are out there. Is your weight loss slow??? If not, what are you doing to speed it up??? I'm eating 1200 calories a day and Im on my 2nd week of the couch to 5K running plan.

Appreciate all your suggestions!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

I'm 41. The first year the weight came off very steadily. This last year has been VERY slow, and for the last 6 months has stopped completely!! I had been eating 1200-1300 calories.

I started couch to 5k 4 weeks ago and increased my calories to 1400-1550 to see if I can get it moving again. Nothing moving yet , but I will give it time.
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    I am 44 and it is definitely harder to lose weight at this age. I have never been on a diet before. But, I don't really consider this a diet, just a healthier way to be aware. After my fourth child, I was not as thin as before, and in the last 4 years, I have gained about 10 pounds, but also some muscle. I have a black belt in Taekwondo, but did not continue as I kept tearing a groin tendon. I have only done this for 3 weeks, but lost 2.5 pounds. I am trying to eat more protein, less sugar and carbs, and less gluten carbs. I find this is working and helping with bloating also. I do Zumba 2-4 times a week and eat back some of my exercise calories, but not all. I also started the 30 Day Shred 4 days ago. I can already tell that it is helping. Clothes are fitting better and my arms are more toned. I need motivation too.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and I've lost 18 lbs (lost a couple before I started MFP). I can't tell you if it's harder in my 40's, because I never tried to lose weight before now. I will tell you that if I start to slip off the program, my weight loss stalls. Good luck!
  • littlenyama
    Options
    Hello. I'm 41. After doing many diets in my 30s and yo-yoing, I found that post-40 meant I couldn't keep doing the same and expect to maintain. Last year I put on 20 pounds in 1 year! Since the first of the year I've gone back to eating healthy, gluten-free and am exercising A LOT more. I track calories to make sure I'm getting enough fuel for the exercise I do. The extra sweat has made a huge difference.

So far I'm down 28 pounds.
  • kubbyj
    kubbyj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 44. Been trying to lose weight for a nearly two years, I had a hysterectomy and gave up smoking, and piled on 2 stone in the following months. Then I discovered Jillian Michaels and MFP .... So far I've lost 22lbs.
  • Jennjo322
    Jennjo322 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and the weight has been slooooowww coming off. I officially started in the end of March and lost 7.2 pounds and it took two months! I keep plugging along though.
  • brigidy
    brigidy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and decided to start losing weight in Jan. after seeing some photos of myself. I started at 155 pounds (I am 5'3) and lost 23 lbs. just by eating 1200 calories, eating more fresh fruit, veggies, whole grains and exercising on the elliptical. I still have about 10 lbs to go before I reach my goal. I wish you all success on your weightloss journey.
  • vrmqueen
    vrmqueen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 37+ years old in the Atlanta are. I started a 90 day health and fitness challenge on March 30, 2013 with 10 fabulous ladies, a few of whom are over 40. We've lost over 80 lbs together as a group. I have lost almost 20 lbs since then and ... I am not the biggest loser in the group.

I wish you all the best. If you need the support of a fitness pal. You are welcome to add me on!
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am 42 and I've lost 11 pounds since early January-- 5 pounds to go to get to my goal weight. It has been slow but I have learned a lot in the process as I am now more concerned about body measurements and fat loss/muscle gain than the numbers on the scale.

After the New Year, I jumped started my fitness with Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred"-- and it made a huge difference. I run 5K+ three times a week and I started lifting heavy three times a week. I also throw in ab workouts/barre workouts from FitnessBlender.com. I try to stay around 1400 calories/day but allow myself to eat exercise calories as I gain them. What I am doing feels great and I know it's a sustainable healthy lifestyle NOT a diet. (Yes, I enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner too!)

One issue I need to be careful about is overtraining and risking injury. I would run more but I get swelling in an ankle that previously suffered a stress fracture. Injury is more of a concern for me than slow weight loss, without a doubt.

Hang in there. You're doing great! Just stay healthy and strong throughout the journey-- enjoy every step of the way!
  • Pamella513
    Pamella513 Posts: 72
    Options
    I just turned 42 on May 13th and yes....it is definitely slower to lose weight at this age than it was when I was in my 20's. But....I didn't gain all this weight overnight so I know I'm not going to lose it overnight. I'm not known for my patience so it's not always easy on the mindset to see the scale change numbers so slowly.....but I'm sticking to it and not letting anything get in my way. 10 lbs. down since I started in March and I've lost one dress size. HOLLA!!!!!

I'm like the little engine that could. I know I can, I know I can, I know I can......

and you can too!!!!!!
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump! 44 years old, and looking for answers too... =)
  • ciarabubs
    ciarabubs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 soon. I have been doing MPG for 60 days and have lost 19lbs so far. I eat between 1600 and 2000 calories a day depending on how much exercise I have done. I have tried every diet but this seems to be working for me. This is the first time that I have exercised alongside a diet and must admit I am enjoying the exercise too!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I turned 44 in February. I'm 5'2½" - I lost ½" somewhere in my life in the last 3 years!

I actually started my weightloss journey in March of 2011. I hopped on the scale that day and I was #162, which was the exact same weight I was in May 2009 when I left the hospital after having my daughter. Depressing. I started out just walking and then added circuit training by doing some Wii Active sports workouts. I got down to #125 by July 2011. Almost #40 in 4 months. I maintained for several months and then got lazy. I quit exercising and quit coming to MFP logging my caloires. I was eating like the fat me again. In February of this year, I had my annual doctor's appointment, hopped on the scale and saw #144 staring me in the face. That day I decided I was going to do something about it.

I have completed Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred and Jillian Michael's Extreme Shed and Shred. I am currently dabbling in Jillilan's Ripped in 30 and started Insanity two days ago. I am now down to #133. I want to be down to #127 but will be happy once I am just back into the 120s. It is MUCH harder to lose the weight this time. I have a hard time eating back my calories because in a fast paced world, we want the weight gone NOW. I started out doing my own thing, figuring out how many calories I should eat if I burn this much, blah, blah, blah. Wasn't working. I'm back to MFP guided and the weight started coming off again!

Feel free to add me :)
  • tasteoheavn
    tasteoheavn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I just starting losing again and that makes me very happy. I'm staying under my goal everyday and if I 'm even close I will add in an additional workout. I know do any of the "normal" rules as I only eat when I'm hungry. I know it goes against most people to not eat breakfast but that didn't work for me. I know I'm still early on my journey but for now this works for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!