Fiber One bars.. help! TMI warning :)

Options
2»

Replies

• christied829
    Options
    I've had major problems with constipation for a long time, like I could go for up to 2 weeks with no BM. I read on here about taking Magnesium Citrate to help. Well, I've been taking 400mg of Magnesium Citrate for about a week now and I'm now regular for the first time in YEARS! No amount of fiber/water helped me at all.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I purchased some Fiber One bars because they were on sale, they are low in cals, and figured I would try them as an on the go snack. Plus, hey! Who couldn't use a little more fiber in their life? (...fast forward...should have just stuck to my usual on the go snack of an apple)

For about a week I would have 1-2 a day.. Until I got tired of the gassiness it caused!

Its been over a week since my last bar and almost the same amount of time since I've had ANY "movement" in the bathroom. My lower stomach is appearing bloated.. I'm feeling kind of gross and full all the time, and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Before these bars I was completely regular... All they've done is cause problems! Ive been drinking tons of water and still nothing. :(

Any recommendations on what else to try?

OMG they did that to me too :blushing: Now I just stick with fresh fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, whole grain bread and oatmeal for fiber. For a treat - my go to's are - Nature Valley dark chocolate and peanut butter bars or Clif bars.
  • justdoit329
    Options
    i add psyllium husk powder from vitamin shoppe to my morning smoothie and it totally helps - also there a lot of "smooth move" or "get regular" teas out there that can help on occasion (but shouldn't be a regular habit).
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I purchased some Fiber One bars because they were on sale, they are low in cals, and figured I would try them as an on the go snack. Plus, hey! Who couldn't use a little more fiber in their life? (...fast forward...should have just stuck to my usual on the go snack of an apple)

For about a week I would have 1-2 a day.. Until I got tired of the gassiness it caused!

Its been over a week since my last bar and almost the same amount of time since I've had ANY "movement" in the bathroom. My lower stomach is appearing bloated.. I'm feeling kind of gross and full all the time, and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Before these bars I was completely regular... All they've done is cause problems! Ive been drinking tons of water and still nothing. :(

OMG they did that to me too :blushing: Now I just stick with fresh fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, seeds, whole grain bread and oatmeal for fiber. For a treat - my go to's are - Nature Valley dark chocolate and peanut butter bars or Clif bars.

i have the same problem. i dont like fiber one bars but activia and fiber one cereal works for me
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Those bars (and their cereal) are deadly. I had to stop eating them. They say your body adjusts to them, but I never did. Yikes!

Try a mug of warm prune juice before bed. That should help the old pipes get running again!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Also, when I'm really "Stuck" in that department, I find taking a magnesium supplement with a big glass of water at bed time helps get things going. It draws water into your digestive tract. But watch out - when it's ready, it will be ready fast! :) As a side note, It also helps with some of the muscle soreness associated with training.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I never realized that they were called "fart bars". I eat them or Special k granola bars or Kellogg's protein bars which are all pretty high in fiber because I personally am supposed to have 40-50grams of fiber a day. But I honestly wonder now if they contribute to gas or bloating. I'm going to have to pay more attention to that.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Not really your question, but I buy those Fiber One bars mostly for the chocolate - they're not exactly loaded with fiber. You'd be better off buying psyllium husk capsules or eating more veggies. http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/highfiber.htm
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

Glad I'm not the only one! I used to be a once a day kind of gal (sorry, TMI)... just from eating fruit.. almonds... protein shakes, etc. I'm going to steer clear of anything relating to the brand Fiber One going forward.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Those bars (and their cereal) are deadly. I had to stop eating them. They say your body adjusts to them, but I never did. Yikes!

Try a mug of warm prune juice before bed. That should help the old pipes get running again!
    Also, when I'm really "Stuck" in that department, I find taking a magnesium supplement with a big glass of water at bed time helps get things going. It draws water into your digestive tract. But watch out - when it's ready, it will be ready fast! :) As a side note, It also helps with some of the muscle soreness associated with training.

Thanks, I'm really looking into the prune juice and magnesium... sounds like a winner versus the violent aftermath of some of the laxatives I've read about lol
  • msliu7911
    Options

Not really your question, but I buy those Fiber One bars mostly for the chocolate - they're not exactly loaded with fiber. You'd be better off buying psyllium husk capsules or eating more veggies. http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/highfiber.htm

Exactly why I did it!!! I am (used to be) a choc-o-holic... and when I saw "Oats and Chocolate" I was sold. And actually... those bars taste pretty darn good compared to any other 90 calorie option out there!.. Just wish it didn't do this to me!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You may not have intentionally done so, but you can make your body dependant on any type of laxative/fiber supplement. I know you weren't eating those for those particular reasons, but they do have a lot of fiber in them. (Believe me, i know first-hand, too, lol.)

YOur best bet now, if you're still having probs, is to take something to help yourself "move". A fiber tab, or perhabs Colace. It's a stool softener, 100 mg. It's a stool softener.

I'm with you; I no longer try to indulge in those bars too much. -- To bad; those brownies are tasty! LOL
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's the chicory root (a/k/a inulin) in them that causes the gas and bloat. Lots of other foods with added fiber use the same ingredient. For me, the deadly breakfast combo was a Fiber One bar and Breakstones LiveActive lowfat cottage cheese. Both have the ingredient and whenever I ate it I was so gassy had to spend most of the afternoon in the office bathroom.
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them quite often for a snack, never had a problem. Probably because I generally have a lack of fiber that causes the same problem your having. That being said these days when I'm having that issue I use Metamucil. Cant stand the taste with just plain water so I take it with orange Gatorade, pretty mild but takes care of the problem :smile:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lots of people call them "Fart Bars".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's too funny! I thought it was just me! Those damn bars give me the stinkiest gases ever!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, try Magnesium Powder (Natural Calm) at night (preferably because it's a natural relaxant). The next morning, you'll have a gentle BM.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars made me so gassy, I was in pain.....Stopped eating them - I took the natural laxative called Senecot and it worked for me the next day. This was Dr. recommended to a friend of mine and she told me about it. Also, you can eat lots of fresh fruits according to my Dr. but that didn't work for me. Will never, ever eat a fiber bar again!!!:drinker:
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but I would say try the prune juice. If you've finished off a quart or two of that, you can mix epsom's salts with water (the package will have proportion recommendations) and drink it. It's fairly tasteless, though you could mix it with the last of the prune juice if you wish. Anyhow, that will help. You can also use epsom's salts in an enema. They are not as bad as they might seem, and definitely worth it if you haven't gone in a few days!
  • unicornlady77
    Options
    same thing happened to me,after getting regular again I tried the Fiber Plus bars and they do not make me gassy at all and I get results.