Exercise calories - poll!

Options
Hey all! I know this is a somewhat conroversial subject but I want to know ... do or dont you eat your exercise calories and how has this helped your weight loss?

Everyone has their own opinions on this but I am looking for simple answers!

Replies

• weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I try not to... but I also have thyroid problems.
  • ChrystalDutton
    ChrystalDutton Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body... if i am super hungry I will eat back some, but I never eat them all back. I feel it defeats the purpose.
  • bonniecarbtoo
    Options
    I do as long as I'm not feeling too full. Most of the time I am too full to eat them all back.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    no but if I'm hungry I'll eat even if I'm over in calories
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It depends on the day.
  • Jewles1285
    Jewles1285 Posts: 119
    Options
    I listen to my body... if i am super hungry I will eat back some, but I never eat them all back. I feel it defeats the purpose.
    I agree with her!! I do the exact same thing...even if its the next day. Sometimes im just super hungry the next day after a great workout the night before and i will eat a bit more!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi225.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd282%2FNine1215%2FJust%2520Funny%2FOH-BOY-ITS-THIS-THREAD-AGAIN.jpg
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I never lose weight when I eat even half of them back.

When I'm trying to increase muscle/performance: Eat them back
    When I'm losing weight: I don't eat them
  • steamtrain1999
    Options
    I agree with her!! I do the exact same thing...even if its the next day. Sometimes im just super hungry the next day after a great workout the night before and i will eat a bit more!
    [/quote

I totally agree with this.. I have noticed for me I feel and have energy.. then I don't I also feel like its wrong to eat back,, We r trying to lose right.]
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother tracking my calories from excercise. I just eat in a deficit as if I don't exercise. If I'm hungry, then I'll eat. It's been working like a charm!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi225.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd282%2FNine1215%2FJust%2520Funny%2FOH-BOY-ITS-THIS-THREAD-AGAIN.jpg

Honestly...let's beat the pulvarized horse some more
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's not a controversial topic. It's an easy topic that some people confuse the fvck out of because they don't know what they are talking about or how to give good, complete advice.

But since you don't really want to understand, only simple answers, I'll just say...

Yes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Always have, always will. For people who think it doesn't makes sense or seems like it defeats the purpose, let me explain.

When you set up your MFP profile, it gives you a calorie deficit based on your personal info (age, weight, height), activity level and how many pounds per week you said you'd like to lose. When you excercise, you create an even larger deficit and if you don't eat back enough of those calories to net at least 1200 every day (or better, your BMR), you are undernourishing your body. Doing it this way means you will lose muscle as well as fat and even if the scale says you've met your goal weight your body may not look the way you want to because you've lost muscle tone. Feed the machine!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I know this is a somewhat conroversial subject but I want to know ... do or dont you eat your exercise calories and how has this helped your weight loss?

Everyone has their own opinions on this but I am looking for simple answers!

Understand this. MFP is a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). What this means is that when you set your activity level, you do not include your exercise as part of your activity...you only include your day to day "NEAT"...exercise then becomes an additional activity that needs to be fueled.

You will find NEAT method calculators to be fairly common, particularly with individuals new to exercise and fitness. The NEAT method creates a calorie deficit in your calorie goal for weight loss, so no exercise is necessary. This is beneficial for people who are just getting into fitness because they are often inconsistent, miss workouts, have calorie burns all over the map, etc. The NEAT method allows the individual to still lose weight even when they are inconsistent in their fitness routine; the TDEE method is not so forgiving and you are pretty much screwed if you're missing a lot of workouts.

What you have to be careful of though is over estimation of calorie burn...especially if you're using the database. There's all kinds of crazy calorie burns in the database. The database is going to be the least accurate because there are just too many variables...the main variable being intensity. Someone may burn 800 calories doing 30 minutes of swimming...but I guarantee you the average person isn't doing that kind of intensity. People burn far fewer calories through exercise than they think they do...and way too many people on this site cheat themselves by over estimating calorie burn so they can eat more.

When I was doing MFP I ate back 70-80% of my calories burned per my heart rate monitor; I never ate less than 50% back. Your workouts will be better and more productive when they're fueled, plus your body will actually get more benefit from them.

Also...all of you who think it defeats the purpose or whatever and don't eat them back...do you have access to a dictionary? Look up the word GOAL and get back to me. You're all underachievers because you're not achieving your goals. Have you ever asked yourself, "hmmm...why does MFP up my calorie GOAL when I log exercise?"