HELP! INDIAN RESTAURANT!!

Options

Replies

• vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken for protein.

Yup, if you don't want the curry sauce element, this is tops!

And don't forget the MUSHROOM RICE!!! :)

Yes, a good idea! Tandoori chicken is pretty much grilled chicken, onions, and spices. But watch out for the (mint) chutney that it is usually served with. It's lovely but it can carry a lot of calories. It might just be pureed veggies and such with yogurt but it could have oil.
  • anubhavsharma18
    anubhavsharma18 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Go for tandoori fish. Don't go with anything that has makhani in it like dal makhani, go for dal tadka as that do not include butter. If south indian food is served then go for idli sambar.
    In breads opt for tandoori roti without butter and not naan.
    Also give salted lassi a try
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken is one of my favorites and since it's skinned most of the time is relatively low in calories. I also have a fish curry at one of my favorite Indian restaurants. Their goat curry is good too. Both of those are red curries and not made with cream. Tika Masala is on the better side of calories. I also like the yogurt with onions and cucumbers in it. I never eat the naan, rice, fried stuff, daal, or carby things as they spike my blood sugars. I'm not giving up Indian food every once in a while. I make my own at home. That way I know exactly what goes in it. Good luck!
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We all deserve a to live it up once in a while. It's not going to send you backwards. If I know there is something special happening, and it will be hard to accurately log calories I a) ramp up my exercise during the week b) try and shave off calories during the week c) eat very minimal for bfast or lunch the day of...lots of fruits and veggies ( I do WW no points for fruit and veggies). Life is meant to be enjoyed. Doesn't mean you should purposely eat all the creamy fried stuff, but a small sampling of them with more of the healthier stuff is okay.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    There's lots of Indian food on the MFP database. Look them up, make up a couple meals in advance and see what it looks like. I say have a light breakfast and enjoy the lunch.
  • Anniecakesss
    Options
    This is what I eat: Tandoori Mix Grill chicken tikka, tandoori chicken, malai kebab, sheek kebab Straight from my favorite restaurants menu. With some jasmine rice and a little garlic naan. It's delicious!

I usually stick to the grilled foods. Also, ask what they suggest for a low cal/fat diet. They should get that question a lot!

Good luck! Delicious foods.
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Remember that whatever you will eat will be very salty. Expect to have some water weight from the excess salt for a few days. Drink plenty of water for the couple of days afterwards to help flush it out.

As others have said, bank some calories beforehand. If you're like me, MFP is a lifestyle change and I mean to maintain it. It's not a short-term diet. I need to find ways to enjoy life while eating sensibly. In that context, I would try to plan ahead and enjoy a cheat meal with no guilt.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    At Indian restaurants I tend to eat chicken tikka with salad :) It's delicious. If you want rice, I would just go for boiled!
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    Just don't bore your colleagues with your diet. As the other guys say, you're supposed to be enjoying yourself.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Get what you normally like but ask a co-worker in advance if you can share a plate. If not, then just take one helping of rice onto your plate and one helping of the meat/sauce dish onto your plate and that's it!!! Don't take home leftovers.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    mmm i love indian - pick something in a marinade, not a sauce or batter - like tikka or tandoori and loads of veg. or, just pig out, its not everyday after all - their stuff might be high cal but it is pretty fresh and natural.
  • pkul85
    pkul85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken all the way. Its baked and not fried.. doesnt have much sauce. Add some salad on the side and you're good to go! Stay awy from samosas, pakoras, etc. But seriously, just enjoy indianfood.. its not a daily thing anyhow!
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, it is okay as long as it isn't every night. I could just eat a channa & mushroom masala from Ravis.
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka with salad is pretty low cal (guessing in the US it's mainly called tandoori chicken, based on the other replies). Don't know if there is a north/south difference here too, but to clarify, I mean the dry chicken dish that's usually cooked on skewers over a charcoal grill, or in a tandoor oven. like this: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/chicken-tikka-recipe.html I know up here in yorkshire you can always have chicken tikka as a starter, and a lot of restaurants also serve a main sized portion too

have a couple of chapatis instead of rice or naan, or a small portiono of boiled rice

If you'd prefer a saucy dish, stick with chicken or prawns and avoid kormas, makhanis, masalas etc. Different indian cuisines from different regions of indian subcontinent cook in different ways, so it's hard to tell you which dishes might be drier, but avoid anything on the menu that's described as 'creamy'

Having said all of that, I'm also inclined to agree with what others have said in respect of allowing yourself a treat and not worrying too much about going over on one day, as long as you're 'under' to compensate over another couple of days during the week.

If you use the mobile MFP app, you can usually choose to see a 'weekly' view of your calorie intake, like a bar chart, which will show you your average daily calorie intake for the week (on the right) and also how many calories under / over you are for the week as a whole. I actually find this really useful, stops you worrying about 'one bad day' in a week if you can see you've made up for it elsewhere

Hope this helps

Rosey x
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Chicken or Beef Vindaloo seems pretty decent based on the recipes I've seen. No cream, no nuts, but some amount of oil in the base.
  • JaninaTolm
    JaninaTolm Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm so impressed with all the common sensical advice from the MFP community about this Indian meal. I agree with all the suggestions, especially staying away from or limiting alcohol! 1 glass of Prosecco is my secret weapon when I would like a glass of something celebratory. I've found that it also helps to drink green juice the day of and day after a special meal like that or the occasional feast of any sort. It helps with the higher sodium levels of the food (no matter what you eat) and helps get back on track after a slightly higher caloric intake.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Chicken or Beef Vindaloo seems pretty decent based on the recipes I've seen. No cream, no nuts, but some amount of oil in the base.

I wouldn't recommend vindaloo unless they knew what they were getting into with regard to heat. If the OP is up for something spicy then yeah, I love that dish and it's personally my default.
  • shastacrystal
    shastacrystal Posts: 262
    Options
    Chicken tikka kebab with veggies on the side!!! Even Chicken Tikka Masala wouldnt be too too bad but the kebab will be less oil or sauce.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I could make a BED out of Garlic Naan....and be happy just rolling around on that naan mattress for the entire weekend or more - - while eating Butter Chicken - - matter of fact, i think that's exactly what i WILL do this weekend!
  • shastacrystal
    shastacrystal Posts: 262
    Options
    Oh yes and Tandoori chicken legs, they are baked and AMAZING!