Anyone successful with weight loss with a "cheat day"?

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
When I say "cheat day", I don't mean binge eating my any means. I mean say you've got a full time passive job and have a daily use of 1800 calories and are meant to eat 1300 a day, and you end up anywhere between there.

I have stayed within the limit the past few days, at around 1200. I hate the term "starvation mode", but I think the hunger has sort of "built up" in me over the past few days and now has taken over. 1300 a day is starvation to me, I have to go to bed feeling hungry. I get the good kind of calories - salad, vegetables, lean chicken or turkey or fish and eggs. Yet today I came home after a long day at work and was so hungry I thought I was going to faint. I have been low in energy all day. As a result, I have gone over my calorie limit by 200 kcals (it's 8pm here and I'm still hungry).

I am wondering if anyone else have had an experience like this occasionally and still managed to maintain their weight loss.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If 1800 calories is your maintenance level of calories, then anything less than that will cause you to lose weight...even if you have a cheat day...but I'm always confused as to what a "cheat" day actually is. When I was losing I regularly had days where I ate to a maintenance level of calories...it just means the process takes longer. IMHO, eating to maintenance isn't cheating...you're not over-eating...you're just not at a deficit of calories. Just depends on how patient you can be.
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week where I eat moderate amounts of whatever I want with no regard for calories or macros. The key is moderate. It's worked great for me so far.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i dont do cheat days
    i think they are a bad idea
    if i want something "bad' i eat it. record it and exercise
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days every Friday.

69 lbs lost. Any questions?
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was at a plateua, gained two pounds and was stuck again. I went over my calories by about 300 for three days and then dropped back down to my regular goal. 4lbs came off!!! Try it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eating to or slightly above maintenance every now and then is highly beneficial for multiple reasons (Google leptin). Plan it, and enjoy it.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days every Friday.

69 lbs lost. Any questions?

^^^^^This, I'll have two cheat days this weekend =)
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I cheat every Thursday and lost 12 lbs since early April. Although, my cheat "day" is only one cheat meal. I only call it a day because it's the day I go over my calorie limit.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    for some reason, when i have a cheat day, it helps me lose that extra pound.... it could just be all in my mind, but im always soooo terrified to get back the scale and everytime ive done it, ive lost weight (from 0.2lb to 1lb)... i really dont know if this really does work but it does for me!(:
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One day of bad eating here or there isn't going to ruin all your hard work the other days. As long as you're not eating a crazy amount over your regular calorie goal then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For me there is no cheat. I have changed my lifestyle and relationship with food. I eat what I want, when I want, and log it. Some choices will get me to my goals faster than others.
  • blakewellington
    Options
    I seem unable to avoid "cheat days." They occur at parties, when out with friends, or when the donut fairy visits my desk at work. I try to avoid them, but I think it's naive to think they will never happen. But we don't have to let them control us. Enjoy the donut, then walk a few extra miles after work. Ultimately, if you are constantly craving without satisfying, you will fail. We don't want that.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Don't cheat. Just eat.

IIFYM and portion control is the way to go!
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    On normal days I eat around 1700 calories. There are days when I am conscientious but don't log and I consider those my "cheat" days. Last weekend I had pulled pork, frozen yogurt, and spaghetti on my "cheat" day. I still lost 2 lbs in the past week :) ((I know it's not water weight because I drink water like crazy))
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I started this weight loss way of life August 2012. I have a "cheat day" every other week or so. As you can see it is working well for me. My cheat day sometimes is going over a little and other cheat days I full on binge. I usually save my cheat day for a time like this weekend when I know I will want to eat extra. (holiday cook out at parents). For me if I do not splurge once in a while I get crazy cravings that drive me nuts!!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating above your maintenance cals then it can't really be a cheat. Also, if you're eating the right kind of calories and are still hungry then eat some more. You've got to listen to your body or you'll make this more difficult than it should be. Are you exercising regularly? If so then this could be why you're hungry and need more. When I workout hard I can eating anywhere from 1800 (not often though) up to 2300 cals a day and still lose weight.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't "CHEAT" but I do "BUDGET." I "save" calories during the week to "spend" them on the weekend.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have a Couple Cheat Meals/Refeeds (whatever you feel like calling them) every week and have lost a few pounds..... Best of Luck
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a weekly "refeed day" where you go up on your total calories (I recommend approaching maintenance) for a day with a focus on increasing your carbohydrates. This not only keeps your metabolism in check, but it should also "refuel" you as well. You're already in a 500cal/day deficit plus whatever exercise you're doing, so you are naturally going to feel hungry like that. Depending on how vigorous your workouts are, you may want to bump that 1300 up to 1500 daily to see if that makes any difference. As far as cheat days go, that's a pretty loose term. I would avoid them as they can set you way back and sometimes the avalanche effect comes into play (one cookie leads to the whole bag!). Rather think about a "cheat meal" every once in a while that's yummy but not gonna put you 3000 cals over for the day. Good luck!
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    well lets see i havent had a cheat day in a month not a real one i do plan on going to my favorite restuarant and eating anything i want in a month from now i plan them that why i dont feel like im cheating!