Eating small amounts often

Options
Just a quick one
In the last month or so i've taken to eating 5 or so small meals a day as opposed to the typical breakfast lunch and dinner.
I find myself eating much less this way as i'm always feel full and don't want to snack all the time.
My main question really is does anyone have any good small meal suggestions?

Today i had some cereal when i woke up, some homemade vegetable stew and rice in the middle of the day, the same again a bit later on with a sliced up birdseye chicken chargrill mixed in. (all very small portions i hasten to add!) Probably have one more a few hours before bed.

Also how would i go about logging that? it's not breakfast lunch and dinner, especially not on days with 5-6 very small meals being consumed.

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have been buying freshly made garlic hummus, tabbouleh and a corn and bean relish/salad at the Farmer's Market and eat it with some grilled mini pitas (whole wheat) from Trader Joes. I quarter the pitas - like they're chips - and dip in hummus, then the corn/bean OR the tabbouleh. It's my favorite small meal. Even if you are not near a Farmer's Market that has this - or Trader Joes - I would bet you can find some options like this!

I also enjoy a tuna sandwich on Oroweat sandwich thins with a little Hellmans/Best Foods canola mayo. Good luck!
  • aquavitae30
    Options
    You can change your food log names to reflect this. One of my friends has times (8am, 10 am, 12 pm ect), I have breafast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.

As far as small meals go, for my snacks I love having fat free greek yogurt or maybe some natural peanut butter and an apple. Maybe throw in a small salad also?
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    As for how to log them, I would go into your food and exercise settings and change the names of your meals. There are six slots that you can change. So you could put breakfast, AM snack, lunch, etc or you could just put the time of day that you eat the snack. Whatever works for you.

I have noticed that eating more often keeps me from bingeing, but I have to be sure to keep track so I don't go over. It's harder to remember everything that I ate. You might want to add more fruit into your diet. Maybe you just didn't put it, but fruit is a great thing to help with your diet. One thing I like to eat for an evening snack is cottage cheese and cucumbers or carrots. For some reason, it is so refreshing in this heat and keeps me satisfied.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Go to Settings - Diary Settings and you can call up to 6 meals/snacks whatever you want to!
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks i'll revise my diary as of tomorrow i think!
    It's fairly emtpy and not particularly healthy recently as i've not long been back from holiday and been ill and not been on track really! Waiting for this cold to go so i can get back to the gym again!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I srted doing this about a month ago and it's worked really well for me. I've been losing about a lb a week but most importantly my metabolism has sped up and my body fat percentage is coming down. Have a look at my food diary for food ideas (but to be honest I eat the same thing most days) :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have my food diary split into 4 hour increments: 4am, 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm, 12am
    This lets me keep track of when through out the day I eat most of my calories.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I saw another thread that had 300-calorie meal ideas, not sure what calorie-count you are trying to stick to, but they had lots of good suggestions, like low-cal tortilla, pita, or flatbread. (i use 100 cal. FlatOut brand), stuff with any veggies, and throw in some type of protein. a protein and veggie kabab, piece of fruit with 100-calorie piece of cheese and nuts, shrimp on salad with a little dressing is really low cal, a smoothie made with fruit and yogurt.
    Keep the ideas coming, I like to hear them. I haven't yet tried to go to 4 300-cal meals per day, but I want to try...
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day. I have lots of vegetables, fruit, cheese, nut butters, hummus, crackers, protein shakes, and more. I guess mine would be more like snacks instead of meals. I do find I am never starving which is good for me.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I pretty much do that too. I do it more like breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and evening snack. My dinner is most "typical" since I cook for myself and my husband, but pretty much never go over 400 calories for dinner.