Workout schedule that worked for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My advice is a little different from what other people on here are suggesting, so please take it with a grain of salt and realize that motivation works differently for everyone.

Last year I decided I wanted to lose weight and get in shape. I was very serious and dedicated. I bought a cheap elliptical, got workout gear, clothes, all that stuff. I decided I would exercise 45 minutes a day at least 5-6 days a week.

And I did, for about three weeks. But here's the thing... I was a total couch potato before I started doing that, and it was really hard to go from nothing to that. I was exhausted. My body hurt a lot. So then I went on a work trip, and I had every intention of using the hotel gym, but I forgot my exercise shoes and my sports bra, and then the gym actually cost $20 per day to use, and I fell off the exercise wagon.

I didn't get back on it, either. Once I hadn't been exercising for a few days, I felt so much better. That sounds silly and counter-intuitive, I know, but it was true. And so of course then I didn't want to go back to killing myself. I felt guilty, so I stopped counting calories and, before you know it, a year had passed and I was back up to my starting weight.

This time around, I've been using MFP for about twice as long and being very dedicated. But I read up a lot on the psychology of exercise and weight loss and I heard over and over again that making big drastic changes is hard to sustain. So this time I've started much more simply. A calorie deficit set to lose .5 lb/week. I did that for a few weeks by itself. Then, in order to care for myself on the fitness side of things, I decided to start taking walks as often as I could. Just walks. And no set time limit or number of times per week--just as often as I could. It usually ended up being about 1.5 miles 2-3 times per week. On the days when I don't walk, I try to do some sit-up and push-ups. No set number--just as many as I find the time and have the strength to do.

After doing that for a while, I added in going to the gym during my lunch break one day a week. It's a pretty simple routine, and if I miss a week, I'm still doing everything else and I don't feel like my entire plan for fitness has failed.

I'm usually a Plan and Schedule kind of person, but this time around I'm trying to make a long term change that is easy enough for me that I don't want to stop doing it. This may not be useful to you, but just wanted to share my story and progress so far.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com Jamie Eason Livefit program. I am on my second round and love the muscles that I have found. Started with 5 pound dumbbells and can now lift 15. Goal is 25 pounds.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    When my baby was a few months old I used to go running for 1-1/2 hrs.
    Now that he's bigger (19 months) he doesn't stay calmed so running outside is not a good option for me. I also tried joining a gym but he would not stay in the kids club :/

I can't afford a personal trainer either so exercising at home on my own is the only option I have. My takes a nap of 2 hrs so I make sure I eat 1 hr before he naps so by the time he's down I'm ready to start exercising.

I have done jillian Michael 30ds, I'm currently doing p90x, and I plant to do a second round of p90x or maybe give insanity a try.
  • bluebuggy1970
    bluebuggy1970 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I work full time, am a mother of busy teenagers, go to school part-time. Needless to say I have very little free time. I use Jillian DVD's. My favourites are 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. I TRY to squeeze the half hour work outs in at least 4-5 times a week and then I add in bike rides or walks using my digifit app on my phone. In the last 5 months I have lost 17 lbs and many inches.
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I either like to exercise or change into my workout clothes right after work so that I have nothing standing between me and exercise. Lately I have been doing 30 DS videos (before that it was all running or walking) or run or just walk Monday - Thursday. Friday is my day off and I don't do a thing. Saturday and Sunday I try to do something a little bigger like a ton of yardwork and cleaning the house, doing a long few hour long hike or walk, or maybe doing a 30 DS *or* early morning run too.

Above all I try to keep it realistic. For me, working out 7 days a week, running 5 days in a row, not taking a rest day, etc. is going to burn me out. Putting on my workout clothes and just turning on some music actually makes me really *want* to work out. Plus I like to go on long walks and talk with my DH- makes it a lot easier to walk for an hour when you have a buddy. Lastly, I have a very active dog who loves long walks, runs, or any hiking so he really motivates me to get outside.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    60 minutes of cardio a nd 100 crunches daily
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I started out doing Insanity (i was very overweight and so out of shape) and ever since than I have been doing mainly any of Shaun T's intense workout programs. H eha s anew one coming out next month called Focus T25 - 50 day program, 25 mins a day, and it's for any fitness level. It looks like a very condensed version of Insanity!

The lbs just melted off with his program and I just love him, He keeps me motivated. lol
  • China170
    China170 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Zumba,Power walking,Step class, Barr body, Bike riding and weight training 3x a week. Whatever u do have fun, its a lifestyle.!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!