Losing weight but not flab.. maybe getting flabbier?

Options
I've lost 40lbs since mid January.. through a combination of eating low calories, then high (20% cut from TDEE) and then generally not dieting at all..

I still have another 42lbs to lose to get me to a healthy weight and a weight that I've been before and know I'm happy at.. but at the moment I'm terribly flabby.

My body fat percentage is 38%.. I lift heavy weights regularly, followed by moderate paced cardio most of the time, and eat plenty of protein and clean foods.. yet my body fat isn't lowering and my body is plastered in loose flab

is this because I have another 3 stone to lose, and maybe when I'm at goal weight I'll be less flabby and more defined? Or is this a diet error, eg too little calories causing me to lose lean muscle mass?

So upsetting!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's probably just because you have a lot left to lose.
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    lozzieemayjenkins Posts: 71 Member
    Options

The last week I've been cutting calories low six days of the week (like 1000-1200) so that I can have whatever I want within reason one day a week, which will be a Saturday..

I did this a year or so ago, and lost 4 stone in 4 months.. and wasnt that flabby when I got to goal weight. I wasn't rock hard but by no means flabby or squishy.

Obviously I regained the weight, so now I'm trying to lose it again.. but I feel like doing things this way isn't clever cause the last week I've been doing it I've been tired, lethargic at the gym and I feel softer everywhere..

Previous to this I was eating 1600 calories daily and clean foods, with no treat days.

Should I go back to a set calorie goal daily with adequate protein and clean foods and ditch the low cal and binge plan?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would just chose moderation every day instead of binging.

It will help you practice a more "normal" approach to eating which will help you keep the weight off.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Should I go back to a set calorie goal daily with adequate protein and clean foods and ditch the low cal and binge plan?
    [/quote]

YES!!!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It sucks that some people have to work so much harder than others. I see your calorie burns everyday and I want it so bad for you because you are working so hard toward your goals. Hang in there :)

And, give 30 day shred a go! People knock Jillian but it works! You could do it in addition to your routine if you like, it's only 20 minutes.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

It will help you practice a more "normal" approach to eating which will help you keep the weight off.

This is great advice. Eating super low calories, then binging, is not creating good eating habits. Your goal should be to establish a lifestyle that will enable you to keep your weight off.
  • prettysenshi
    prettysenshi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your body hasn't had a chance to catch up, which is usually what happens when you plateau. It means you aren't losing weight, but your body is changing itself. You should stick to a slow, steady, diet without binging, and keep working hard. You will see results when your body is ready to let go.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options

Agreed. Instead of having one whole day, just set aside some of your daily calories for a treat so you can still enjoy the foods that you like.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Your diet is terrible - you generally have everyday 1 meat based meal, with the rest made up of cheese sticks, fridge raiders and high carb snacks such as bananas and yoghurts etc.

You are probably losing muscle rather than fat hence the flabbiness.

Your protein intake is good but your fat intake is too low and carbs too high (some days you have over 170g carbs). For example on 18th May your calorie intake was only 1224 cals but you had 179g of carbs - that's 64% of your total intake in carb! Read up on macro splits.

As another snapshot on Thursday 23rd May all you ate was cheddar sticks, activia yoghurt, dairy milk chocolate caramel bar, protein shake, chocolate twirl bar, Banana shake and a can of red bull for a total of 1081 calories. Looks like every day is a cheat day for you!

Try eating 3 proper meals per day, stop snacking, up your calories, eat more fresh vegetables and salads, meat and fish, cut the carbs, cut all the saturated fat (cheese and fridge raiders!), and eat more mono-unsaturated fat.

As for exercise forget the cardio and concentrate on heavy weights (strong lifts 5x5) four times per week, to preserve what muscle you have.

Hope this helps
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Your diet is terrible - you generally have everyday 1 meat based meal, with the rest made up of cheese sticks, fridge raiders and high carb snacks such as bananas and yoghurts etc.

Your protein intake is good but your fat intake is too low and carbs too high (some days you have over 170g carbs). For example on 18th May your calorie intake was only 1224 cals but you had 179g of carbs - that's 64% of your total intake in carb! Read up on macro splits.

As another snapshot on Thursday 23rd May all you ate was cheddar sticks, activia yoghurt, dairy milk chocolate caramel bar, protein shake, chocolate twirl bar, Banana shake and a can of red bull for a total of 1081 calories. Looks like every day is a cheat day for you!

Try eating 3 proper meals per day, stop snacking, up your calories, eat more fresh vegetables and salads, meat and fish, cut the carbs, cut all the saturated fat (cheese and fridge raiders!), and eat more mono-unsaturated fat.

As for exercise forget the cardio and concentrate on heavy weights (strong lifts 5x5) four times per week, to preserve what muscle you have.

Hope this helps

This. Seriously, eat some real food. Your body will thank you.
  • wongisms
    wongisms Posts: 12
    Options
    id try clean eating, and not cutting too many calories, and perhaps increasing the strength training? try kettlebells. im biased and i love them but i think it is a great way to tone up efficiently and also if you have been using free weights, kettlebells are bit off balance so it will be a new routine that may shock your body back on track to your goals. I find that whenever one method starts to feel like its plateauing, its up to me to seek out a slightly different way to work my body so it knows that i need it to keep going.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Hope this helps

This. Seriously, eat some real food. Your body will thank you.

Except for the 3 meals thing, I agree. Eat a balanced diet and weight train. Add cardio for extra calories to eat. It works.
  • carmelita307
    carmelita307 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read that to much cardio isn't really good because it will keep you flabby beings its burning Ur muscle not fat so maybe shortened cardio , that's what aim trying:)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

The last week I've been cutting calories low six days of the week (like 1000-1200) so that I can have whatever I want within reason one day a week, which will be a Saturday..

I did this a year or so ago, and lost 4 stone in 4 months.. and wasnt that flabby when I got to goal weight. I wasn't rock hard but by no means flabby or squishy.

Obviously I regained the weight, so now I'm trying to lose it again.. but I feel like doing things this way isn't clever cause the last week I've been doing it I've been tired, lethargic at the gym and I feel softer everywhere..

Previous to this I was eating 1600 calories daily and clean foods, with no treat days.

You lost 4st in 4 months a year ago. You can't do that without blasting through some lean mass. So now, you have less muscle than you did when you started last time. If you lose again eating low calorie as you are, you're going to rid your body of even more lean mass... eventually, you will have no muscle and just fat left. Smaller deficits, weight lifting and adequate protein are the answers.
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options

Hope this helps

I admit that recently my diet has been lazy and rubbish.. how many grams.of carbs, fat and protein do you recommend I aim for? Or do I just SIM for high protein and low carbs?
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    *aim not SIM
  • emeraldplayer
    Options

Hope this helps

Totally agree with this, you have lost muscle tone as well as fat, do some weights and core training it will help
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I'm about half way to goal, and am squishier now. I think it is because I have lost visceral fat, first but haven't moved the subcutaneous fat from the belly area yet. Losing visceral fat, which feels firm is good in terms of other health. That's the fat linked to heart disease and diabetes.
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    Can someone please give advice on my training too...

* currently I'm squatting 20kg (want heavier but it's quite intimidating that the heavier weights are in the boys section)
    * hamstring curl 40kg
    * leg extension 40kg
    * lunges 20kg (again heavier weights are in guys section)
    * hip abductor machine 60kg
    * hip adductor machine 70kg
    * incline chest fly 20kg
    * benchpress 20kg
    * seated chest press 40kg
    * side lateral raises 20kg
    * front lateral raises 10kg
    * overhand barbell row 20kg
    * lat pull down 33kg
    * bicep curls 10kg
    * I've forgotten the name of this workout but you kneel with one leg on a weight bench, leaning forward so back is straight and pull dumbbell up to your side, all I know is it's for back workout and that's 10kg also.

My upper body is pretty weak..

I do 4 sets of 8-12 reps.. workout everyday.. alternating between a day of legs, day of shoulders/chest/triceps and then back and biceps.. always making sure there's 24-48 hours rest between muscle groups.