Need seasoning ideas that arent salt!

Options
2»

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Buy sesame seeds in a large bag (not the tiny, expensive containers in the grocery store spice aisle -- you might have to go to a health food store). Dry roast/toast them in a fry pan with zero oil. Use at the table as a condiment. They're delicious, good on everything, and about 30 calories a tablespoon.

I cut up a lime and squeeze it on my salads instead of salad dressing.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Herbs and spices. Dried herbs add so much flavour to all dishes and have additional health benefits. Dried are fine.

Try Italian dishes with oregano, basil, thyme.
    Greek dishes thyme, sage, oregano.

I have herbs in everything! Try poaching chicken in water, splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of tarragon .. Lovely!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • esjayyy31
    esjayyy31 Posts: 16
    Options
    I love curry powder or chili pepper flakes! A little heat really kicks it up a notch and I don't miss the saltiness as much!
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am HORRIBLE with salt. But I find that if I use fresh lemon juice, it satifies my taste for salt and I don't have to use any at all.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    For your stir fries you could use fresh ginger, garlic, and hot peppers (if you like spicy) and garnish with fresh cilantro and/or basil.

I sometimes use a little white wine to bake chicken. And don't forget that there are no-salt added canned tomato products you can use. I buy the no salt diced tomatoes at Trader Joe's.

Lemon juice, fresh herbs, and garlic are always good. Oh, and smoked paprika. Love that stuff!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    -Curry powder
    -hot buffalo sauce
    -blue cheese sauce (higher in cals but sooo good!)
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 21 seasoning salute. It. is. my. life.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Garlic Powder and Black pepper.

If you are looking for a mix I don't have anything for you. But I add fresh garlic, black pepper and garlic powder on everything.

This!!! Most excellent.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    If you like things spicy you can use Harissa which is a North African hot sauce/condiment. Here is a link with the recipe and it can be stored in fridge for a while if you put olive oil on the top. A little goes a long way too.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/harissa