1,200 calories & stuck at same weight

Options
Okay, so I've only been on this diet for 10 days so far and I have lost 4lbs. The weight loss was pretty quick at first but now I've been stuck on the same since Wednesday. I've stuck to the limit and exercising a little every day.

What's going on? Surely it's waaay too early to plateau?!

Any help or advice would be great :)

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Can't tell if trolling.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    So you've lost 4 pounds in 10 days...

and still have found something to complain about?
  • Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Its way to early to get excited about being stuck, if you've lost 4lbs thats great, keep up the good work!
  • Fiona_Cami89
    Fiona_Cami89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Trolling?

The only reason I ask is because my weight has been going down day by day and now it's stopped.

I didn't realise I'd be met with such negativity. Thought this is where you go for help and advice? :/
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Losing 4 lbs in 10 days is fantastic. I hope you're eating all the calories you're supposed to, and eating at least half of your exercise calories too. Keeping up that rate of loss is not possible - at least it's not if you eat healthily and don't chop limbs off. You can't expect to lose every day, and it's not a plateau unless you've stayed the same for several weeks, several hours doesn't count!

Everyone's weight fluctuates day by day and hour by hour, that's why a lot of people recommend weighing just once a week, so you don't get stressed about normal little variations. Also women's weights fluctuate with their monthly cycle - most women gain fluid weight before a period is due (3-8 lbs is quite normal) and lose it again over the next 10 days or so.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Trolling?

The only reason I ask is because my weight has been going down day by day and now it's stopped.

I didn't realise I'd be met with such negativity. Thought this is where you go for help and advice? :/

You need to have realistic expectations, that's all.
  • Fiona_Cami89
    Fiona_Cami89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply :)

I'm not worried so much as just curious. I've never stuck to a diet, let alone calorie limit before, you see! I'm actually pretty proud of myself because I usually always fall off the wagon at around day 3.

Yeah, I've been making sure that I use up all my calories and eat a little more if I've exercised enough to do so. Been trying to drink as much water as possible but it's hard because I hate it haha!

I realise I've got a long way to go and it's going to be tough. I'm just too impatient I guess :)
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    10 days is about right for leptin levels to be very low on a relatively low cal diet, such as 1200, which is likely to be
    below your BMR (enough calories needed to maintain the body in a coma for example).
    If you have stopped losing you have nothing to lose by changing your settings. Input 1/2lb per week. You may get about
    1,350 which may give that loss a boost!
  • lilalief
    lilalief Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have kinda the same problem. My issue is that I've been sticking to my plan for 1.5 weeks, and haven't lost ANY weight. I've stuck to MFP calorie intake and worked our 5 times so far.. According to MFP I've a calorie deficit of 6000 calories so far, for the last week. This means almost 1 kg of fat that should've been gone. But it isn't........... :(
  • JuleneBauleke
    Options
    I also am on the 1200 calorie diet and have been for 4 1/2 months. During that time I have lost 18 lbs. 1st weight loss is usually fluid and then loss of fat starts. I have COPD so exercise is pretty much nil so losing is somewhat harder for me. My husband has been on this diet for almost a year and lost 68 lbs. That was too low so he gained a couple lbs and is now just maintaining. He started out walking 1 mile a day and now does 3 miles. Hang in there. You will start losing but it might be slow. I feel so much better since I lost the weight so it is definitely worth the effort.
  • xAnneee
    xAnneee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're doing great, maybe you need a little bit more calories, like 200 more a day (2 low cal snacks).. But if you're not hungry, you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • xAnneee
    Options
    [edit]
  • xAnneee
    Options
    I have kinda the same problem. My issue is that I've been sticking to my plan for 1.5 weeks, and haven't lost ANY weight. I've stuck to MFP calorie intake and worked our 5 times so far.. According to MFP I've a calorie deficit of 6000 calories so far, for the last week. This means almost 1 kg of fat that should've been gone. But it isn't........... :(

Muscle you gain from working out is heavier than fat. Your scale isnt a good indicator, try measuring your belly and leg inches.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's always so odd that people will be overweight for years and years start dieting and get frustrated after a handful of days. No one is going to lose so much weight so fast that they can track the loss DAILY. Hell, it's like people want track it hourly. People lose about 1 pound per week. Have some patience
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Water weight fluctuations mask 'real' losses. Stop weighing yourself every day - weigh yourself no more than once a week and look at it longer term.
  • ceeci43
    ceeci43 Posts: 11
    Options
    Okay no negativity from me coming your way.. Weight in the first week comes off fast... It's water weight. Usually the body burns in cycles pounds first then when you do not see pounds coming off don't give up your body will be burning inches. Keep up the diet it's working.. After Nother week you will see pounds dropping again. Also, another important note. Drink lots of water.. Water, water helps to burn fat quicker. Don't ask why it just is.. Don't give up You can do it
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Trolling?

1643966-lex_luthor_wrong_super.jpg
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon not a sprint - and learning to pace yourself will get you there. The weight didn't go on in a couple of weeks so why imagine it'll come off that way? Chill out, get your head down and work it girl!!
  • Catfish83
    Catfish83 Posts: 8
    Options
    Weighing yourself every day isn't the best idea. Daily fluctuations such as water weight, meals eaten, etc will throw off the true results. Weigh yourself once a week, in the same state. Preferably upon waking before you have consumed anything.

Good luck!! :)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need to stop weighing yourself daily and look at our weekly patterns. You have lost 4 pounds in less than two weeks. It is mostly water weight, but it can help motivate you to keep going.
    Good luck.