"good" all day but I falter at night without fail

Options
I'm not eating super healthy, but I have been watching my calories and documenting what I eat/drink. I make decent, smart food choices during the day (breakfast and lunch) but I have a hard time eating dinner at a reasonable time like 6 or 7. The worst part is the desire to snack on sugary things. I tell myself, "oh it's one piece of candy," but you know the drill. I know I could/should just get rid of the temptation, but what else can I do?

Replies

• lisainbkk
    lisainbkk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me is 1.) Making a cup of tea and 2.) Reading the forums on MFP. The tea helps give me something to taste/ drink and reading the forums motivates me :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eat as little as possible or nothing during the day and save your calories for night time
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Keep the sugary stuff out of the house and stock up on healthier "fillers". Find things to do that aren't about eating until dinner is ready. Dinner is generally late in my house too
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was the same way! Honestly, I just started planning to fit some snacks into my macros and accepting I eat crap at night. It helps me limit how much I can eat given that I do allow myself deliciousness.
  • kbailey374
    kbailey374 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had a good "robust" dinner last nite if you will look at my food diary, not exactly intentional but I don't get in my meals as much when I work in the evening. I sort of planned for this ...

I have heard it said that "if you fail to plan you plan to fail." So writing up what you are going to have ahead of time may help you. It may make you feel sad at the time you eat what you plan but maybe you will be less likely to have a blowout? I don't know :)
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat as little as possible or nothing during the day and save your calories for night time

This is what I do.

You also just have to exercise a little self control.

It gets easier with time.
  • NewLifeNFlorida
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I don't feel like cooking when I come home from work, so I just munch my way through the evening. Before I know it, boom, 1000 calories! Yuck! I need a personal chef. You men have it so lucky when you come home and the wife has dinner on the table. ;o)
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have heard it said that "if you fail to plan you plan to fail." So writing up what you are going to have ahead of time may help you. It may make you feel sad at the time you eat what you plan but maybe you will be less likely to have a blowout? I don't know :)

^^^^^^
    This!

I'm a night-time eater -- so I plan my daily menu that way, saving most of my calories for the evening.
    But -- you don't mention why you "have a hard time eating dinner at a reasonable time like 6 or 7." Maybe you should have a snack handy ahead of time (like some nuts or some fruit) so you can unwind or do whatever you have to do before sitting down for dinner?

Planning is the KEY.
  • lindseygibeault
    Options
    I to am in the same boat. But I just go to sleep when it happens. I know if I gave in then I would beat myself up for days. I also try and remind myself of all the hard work Ive done and how nice it will be to kick the sweets completely.
  • coldwishes
    coldwishes Posts: 49
    Options
    Try counting down from your current weight down to your goal weight. Trust me this works!
  • NewLifeNFlorida
    Options
    Isn't take out or delivery the ultimate sin? I live in a rural area. The only delivery/take out around here is Chinese and Pizza. Oooh I can hear my arteries hardening as we I speak.
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    I do the same thing so... I take a hot bath, get into bed and watch TV. I read the MFP motivation section to stop myself from the cravings. I am really not hungry, just want food. I like feeling hungry in middle of night and in morning as I know I actually made it another day.