Finding time to exercise

Options
Hi all!

Just wondering how you all find the time to exercise after a busy day at work?

I'm finding it difficult to balance both work and exercise because I often work long hours and then am mentally exhausted afterwards.

I only got around to exercising three times this week but would love to push it up to five or six times. I sometimes get up in the mornings prior to work to go for walk/jog but then find I am exhausted by afternoon at job and become inefficient so don't know if that's an option for every day.

If you were in this predicament before and found a viable solution please let me know!!

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm determined to have better habits, so I've been taking shorter than my normal walks after work.

I'm a nurse and I work 12 hour shifts. I'm pushing my after work walks a little at a time. I started with 15 minutes, and am working up on time and distance. I normally walk 3 miles and do 30 DS on my days off. I don't walk with my phone or music, it helps clear my head. I hope that as I become more fit, I will be able to do 30 DS before work. I tried it before work this week and was tired/dragging by about hour 8 of work.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts from 6pm-6am when I get off work I push myself to workout at least an hour before bed, I use the longing to rest my feet and lay down to push me to get the workout done.

On days off I double up knowing that I should push myself on the days off I do have to make up for lost time

I don't find time, I make time.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I was really determined to change my lifestyle so that going to the gym is just a normal part of my day, and I've done that. On weekdays, I go at lunchtime if I can (I work at a university and go to the university gym, so it's right there), or I go right after work if I don't manage to get it in at lunchtime. On weekends, I go first thing so I get it out of the way. I won't let myself invent excuses not to go, I just do it.
  • chadnfaith
    chadnfaith Posts: 7
    Options
    I too am in the medical field and work long hours (7-6) and have a four year old. ;) When you really want to work out, you make time for it. It is tough at first but the more you work out, the more you build up your metabolism. Eventually, it catches up and even though you're exhausted from work and working out, it'll actually start to make you feel even better. Working out actually gives you MORE energy. :)

With my schedule, I get up early, before my daughter and husband. I work out for 30 minutes. I get the day going, go to work, come home, have dinner, spend time with the family, and after tour girl is in bed I get another work out in (20-30 minutes).

I now actually feel more exhausted when I don't work out. ;)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take a lot of time. I have a high volume load with a lot of accessory work so I need to set aside at least an hour a day to working out but for a beginner lifting program you can get away with a lot less. I put my brother on 5/3/1 on the "I'm not doing jack *kitten*" template and broke it into two days. He has bench+squat day and dead lift+OHP day. He spends 20-30 minutes in the gym twice a week and makes gains.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would place my fitness and general health plan higher on my priority list so that I choose to execute that plan in place of whatever else it is that I'm choosing to spend my time on instead.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    here's the thing. you can't find time. you have not been given less time in a day than me. i don't have more than you.

you say you work long hours, but you don't say how long. i work long hours myself. day shifts, night shifts, weekends, holidays. i've found a way to make my schedule work for me.

find the way to fit exercise into your normal routine. you can and will figure it out. some exercise routines will be better than others for your schedule. 3-5 times a week is a great amount of exercise. upping it up to 6-7 won't yield results sooner. in fact, its a great way to get burned out or get injured.
  • minijag06
    minijag06 Posts: 70
    Options
    Work out in the AM when you get up! It is a great start to the day and you are burning calories all day PLUS you feel great!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,614 Member
    Options
    I get up early before work every day and just do it and get it over with. I love the feeling of accomplishment before the work day even starts:) It usually gives me more energy throughout the day and then I workout in the evening too. But I always do the morning workout, because you never know what's going to happen the rest of the day to derail you.
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I work retail and my schedule is constantly changing. It isn't easy to fit a workout in but I aim to regularly. Right now I'm working out at home so that there's less time involved than if I had to travel to the gym, etc. If I'm in after 730AM I fit in my workout in the morning, getting up at 430AM. If not, I try to get it in when I get home. Sometimes I use those days that I work earlier as my rest days. I also make myself go to bed to get around 8hrs of sleep. Like others have said, using lunch breaks and getting a walk in is more than nothing. If you want to make the lifestyle change, you'll make the time to get exercise in. Good luck!
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you feel exhausted after work, simply workout in the mornings before you go to work.

You should just do the things you want to do without asking how or when or why.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I exercise before work (long runs), or at lunch (short run with strength) or after work (at least get in a a 2 mile walk). It's just a priority. I do 6 days a week and about 7 hours.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I find working out in the morning (5:30am) the best and I set everything out the night before and when the alarm goes off I tell myself "You will feel great after this workout...but will feel like s*#t if you skip it". I also work out at home (Insanity 40-60 minutes) as the travel time to and from the gym and the inevitable socializing that occurs I don't have time for. I also was getting tired late afternoon (I work in a mental health facility with aggressive/volatile youth so I have to be on the ball) so I eat LOTS of protein and carbohydrates (gasp....yes I eat LOTS of carbs) and I do not feel exhausted until about 10pm (and that's just when I sit to do my paperwork)
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it! At the beginning of my WL journey, I read something that said, "if you were diagnosed with cancer, would you take an hour out of your day for treatment? Why won't you for exercise?" This spoke volumes to me!

I work full time and when I'm home, I am a wife and mother, but I find my hour to exercise. Sure, I skip out on watching tv, reading, etc, but exercise is a great stress reliever for me. Start out by picking two days during the week and both weekend days and make time on those days. This way you don't feel like you have to do it every night after work.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    friend of mine on here posted up one day "i exercise first thing when i wake up. and no matter how bad my day goes, at least i already worked out." or something like that.

some people like to work out after work. gives them something to look forward to and a way to get out some frustrations. OP, i don't think you are this type of person. find a way to wake up earlier. it doesn't have to be every day. at least, not at first. just try one day a week. then two, then three.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    remember your body only hears what you tell it...if you tell it you are exhausted and tired to work out, it will oblige; however, expending energy GIVES you energy...don't ask me how, but it really works...as soon as you get off work, change into some good walking shoes and walk...you will feel better and if you create a habit your body will soon look forward to it! :) best wishes to you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    friend of mine on here posted up one day "i exercise first thing when i wake up. and no matter how bad my day goes, at least i already worked out." or something like that.

some people like to work out after work. gives them something to look forward to and a way to get out some frustrations. OP, i don't think you are this type of person. find a way to wake up earlier. it doesn't have to be every day. at least, not at first. just try one day a week. then two, then three.

I like to workout 1st and then deal with the day. A ****ty day, or getting back late won't send you off the rails.

The only day I don't do this is on my day off on a Thursday. I like to do a quick workout in the afternoon. I simple do a 5 min jog to warm up. Do 5 hill sprints/recoveries and a short cool down. 15-20 minutes. And that's a super-hard workout!!!

It's a fallacy that you can't get a great workout in a short space of time. I dare you to do real Tabatas and still feel like you haven't ruined yourself. Less than 10 minutes.......
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I exercise before work (long runs), or at lunch (short run with strength) or after work (at least get in a a 2 mile walk). It's just a priority. I do 6 days a week and about 7 hours.

This. I work 12-hr shifts as a nurse, and the only solution I've found is to make it a priority and just do it.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I work 12-hour shifts as well, and since I'm not a person that likes to work out at the end of the day after it's already been a LONG day, I get up at 3am and workout or run before I leave for work. And starting next week I plan to also add in a 30-minute bike ride from my house to a train station twice a week.
    On my off work days I plan to do extra -- so trail run plus gym, long run plus gym, swim and run, etc etc. Plus a daily walk with my dogs that's usually 2.5-4 miles in length (except on work days, but they don't seem to mind since they're so active on my "weekends").

Also, on my Saturdays I do a "fit work day" -- every hour I get up and do some exercise [50 push-ups, 50 squats, 30-minutes of walking outside, walk up the 7 flights of stairs, etc.]. I'm required to get up from my desk every 2 hours anyway and swipe my badge around the building, so at least 3 times on a Saturday I go for 30-minute walks [speaking of which, time to do my first one]. Although I bring something to set on the carpet so I don't have to put my hands on it. It makes my Saturday go by a little faster and I get a workout -- today I'm focusing on abs and arm workouts.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been asking myself this question for a long time. I wake up at 5AM, get ready for work, and get home from work at 8PM. If I get myself on the treadmill at that time, I'm tired and wind up eating dinner at 9:30-10PM. 11PM I go to sleep. With that schedule I wind up skipping the workout just because I'm exhausted by the end of the day. I would have to get up at 3:30AM in order to get my workout in the morning before work. I need to do something, because doing nothing hampers my weight loss efforts. Does anyone have any suggestions?