Memorial Day BBQ's

Options
So, this is my first Summer Holiday that usually involves tons of food and plenty of beer to wash it down. This year is going to be different. I'm no longer eating meat, so that will probably help somewhat on my food calories.

My plan to make sure I don't screw up my progress will be simple. Stick to what has been working.
*Look at what I want to eat.
*Look at available calories for the day
*Log those calories into my diary before eating
*Don't break out of my Limit.

That is my plan, and damn it, I'm going to stick to it. I'm going to grade myself on Tuesday.

Replies

• hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a GREAT plan. When I have BBQs to attend, I do the same thing. Logging ahead of time helps to keep me on track. If I log after or as I go, I usually go WAY OVER!!! Good luck.
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for agreeing with me :P I'll let you know how I do!! That is some of the best motivation out there.
  • Rauee
    Rauee Posts: 10
    Options
    Make sure nobody brings anything unexpected and too yummy to resist! :)
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    We got invited to my brother in laws and I KNOW he will be making his famous potato salad...so I offered to bring these yummy green beans that I started making. I figure that I will take a HUGE portion of the beans and a very small portion of the potato salad cuz that would be too much deprivation. Plus I will work out that morning and go heavier on the protein...planning ahead is key I think!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Special occasion, 1 day of eating won't derail your diet unless you let it. Enjoy yourself
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Special occasion, 1 day of eating won't derail your diet unless you let it. Enjoy yourself

not even one day. it's one afternoon.
  • kevinindelaware
    Options
    Thanks... I guess I'm just worried since i'm only about 10 weeks in. Hate to screw up and go back to my old ways.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I guess I'm just worried since i'm only about 10 weeks in. Hate to screw up and go back to my old ways.

Acg67 and Capt_Apollo are definitely right though. It's ok to cut yourself some slack every now and then...real life happens. I started out in October and had to go through all of the holidays...initially I thought much the same until I got a lot of advice like this...it is just one day of many and it's really about how you live your life most of the time that counts...isolated incidents like birthday parties, holidays, BBQs happen.

I indulged on those occasions...I didn't eat until I was bursting at the seams, but I enjoyed myself and didn't sweat it. I reached my initial goal of 180 Lbs and 19% BF in April...35-40ish Lbs down from where I started last October. I'm currently maintaining and focusing on my lifting at the moment, but I'll probably do another cut in the fall and do this all over again.
  • kevinindelaware
    Options
    Thank you everyone.. .and Happy Saturday!!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Taking a great dish of your own is a good idea, you know there will be one thing you can load on your plate and not feel guilty. (swing by the store and get a veggie tray if you are rushed, just check the dip for calories before diving in).

Life is going to happen while we are on this journey. Deprivation should not, otherwise we will be back on the big weight loss journey again at some point. Enjoy in moderation.

Figure out if a tablespoon of that great potato salad can be paired with some of the other foods to give you balance nutrition. I had a cupcake at a birthday party this week, just not the frosting. Salad, dressing on the side. Meat may not be your thing, but if you did, say have burger no bun.

If you know what everyone is bringing, logging ahead is a good idea, you can figure out portions so you can enjoy more of the feast.