Contact Lenses Question

Options
13»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Wear them for an hour more each day and see if your eyes adjust. If they don't, try another brand. I have some brands that I just want to rip out of my eyes, but my current ones I can wear all day, and it feels like there's nothing. Seriously, some brands are just super painful for some people.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing contacts since I was 11, so about 30 years.

When I first got gas perms (semi-rigid) at 11, they were a little irritating. Now, wearing soft lenses, they only bother me if I have an eyelash or cat hair in my eye. Sometimes not even then. My eyes are a bit numb to pain at this point.

Check with your eye doctor. They might be the wrong fit. I had a trial pair of lenses once that weren't the right fit, and ended up with corneal abrasions. Not fun.

(And I'd love lasik, but I've been told my eyesight is too bad for me to be a candidate.)
  • michele2377
    michele2377 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    lasik
    This. Well worth it. I wore glasses (still do for driving) since the 2nd grade and had Lasik done in 2008. World of difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm getting Lasik this upcomming Thursday!! AGgghhhh...so nervous! But can't wait to ditch the glasses/contacts.
  • passionflwr1
    passionflwr1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, it could be the brand. Some lenses are more comfortable than others. Ask your optomistrist about getting a trial pair of another brand.

This.
    I switched to Acuvue Oasys years ago because I find them to be more comfortable.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I just started wearing contacts for the first time. I really dislike having to wear glasses. However, is it normal to feel grumpy and irritated with them at the beginning of first wearing them? If so, does it get better and how long does it take? I keep wanting to rub at my eyes and take them out. At the same time, I really want to feel comfortable wearing them because, well, I don't want to wear glasses.

Thanks!

It's normal for them to bother you to start with.
    When you reach the point where they bother you, take them out and go back to glasses.
    Eventually you'll have them in all day and you won't even notice them.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started off a few hours a day myself. Also if they continue to itch and bother you try switching solutions. I had to switch to a peroxide solution and one of those special cups to but the contacts in that neutralizes the peroxide. I had a mild allergy to the solution I was using. It's more expensive but it's totally worth it to be able to wear contacts again.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've recently re-started wearing them after not being able to get them for close to 2 years (lack of funds due to no insurance). My eyes re-adjusted with no problem EXCEPT when I'm working out. I use a DVD and I need them to see the screen on my computer (I don't have a TV) Despite all the water running down my face as I am doing it, when I get near the end (it's 45 minutes) my eyes are feeling dry and I just want to stop and take them out! Wearing my glasses doesn't go over well when working out and I don't know the moves well enough to take the contacts out before doing the workout. (I can't see the computer screen that well without them in as my vision isn't the greatest. I was told I'm border line needing constant contacts for my right eye. That will mean one of two things if it comes to that either wearing glasses all the time or start saving my money for lasik!.)