with only 45 min, do you lift or cardio?

Options

Replies

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have been running short on time lately and was wondering if it is more beneficial to cardio or lift if I only have 45 minutes to workout? My goal is fat loss and I do both most days but sometimes you just don't have the time to do both, which do I choose?

Ask yourself what do you enjoy? Do you enjoy running? Do you enjoy lifting? Do you enjoy calisthenics?

You can get similar results from all 3 of these workouts. The difference is that the duration you have to dedicate might differ. I currently do stronglifts which is awesome and you only do about 30 minutes of it. In the start when the weights are still low you will be done in about 20 minutes even.

If you're interested in lifting, I'd look into a gym with squat rack and checkout stronglifts.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

^Good group and theres a sticky in there that explains the entire workout. You can youtube mehdi's videos that shows the workouts too!

Cardio only workouts can not be compared to strength training only workouts. Cardio only does not change the bodies composition nor does it build muscle. The results of either are as different as they can be, except that doing either while on a calorie deficit will result in some kind of loss. Possibly some fat loss. Without lifting included in the week's workouts, muscle will eventually be lost too. How much fat or muscle is lost depends greatly on how lean the individual is.

BS. I have great leg muscles as a result of my cardio work. I've built muscle there. It didn't show up because I was sitting on the sofa watching TV.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I do both...on alternate days. I love lifting, but have another 5K next month, so I kind of need to slip back into C25K and get off the elliptical.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    People that say cardio is unnecessary are referring to the idea that to create a calorie deficit, we have to do cardio.
    This has nothing to do with personal preference. More muscle burns more calories.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I try to lift, do cardio and abs three times a week. I start with a 20 minute upper body or lower body circuit workout using dumbbells or kettlebells. Next, I do a 20 minute abdominal circuit workout. I finish my workout with a 20 minute interval treadmill run. I try to do this on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I'm also an avid runner. I run 4 miles on Tuesday, 8-10 miles on Thursday and 12+ miles on Saturday or Sunday. I get to enjoy the benefits of weight training without sacrificing my love for running.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Does it has to be either or?

Why don't you lift full-body three days a week for 45 mins and then cardio/conditioning the two days in-between for 30-45 mins.

Best of all possible worlds.

People who say cardio is useless normally do so because they don't like it and this view point backs up their preference. Cardio/conditioning is not useless.

Totally agree about Wendler and conditioning. In 5/3/1 he says he could total elite and not even make it up some stairs. That's not my ideal. Even if you don't do traditional cardio, you should have some sort of conditioning work in your routine to make you well rounded.

ding ding ding!:flowerforyou:

^this is pretty much what I do.(bolded)
    Same here!
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The body weight strength routine I do is only 45 min, including warm up and stretching. If you only have time for one thing - do strength work. Your body will love you for it.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'd LIFT! And spend more time that day walking about, dancing, whatever.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Cardio only workouts can not be compared to strength training only workouts.
    Why not?

Cardio only does not change the bodies composition nor does it build muscle.

Neither does lifting...

The results of either are as different as they can be, except that doing either while on a calorie deficit will result in some kind of loss. Possibly some fat loss. Without lifting included in the week's workouts, muscle will eventually be lost too.

So the people who've never lifted all their lives have no muscle? Are just made up of fat and bones? How are they even alive!

How much fat or muscle is lost depends greatly on how lean the individual is.
    No I'm pretty sure it depends on the surplus or the deficit of your diet

I could be wrong of course. But when you do prove me wrong, please provide a link to a reliable research

what are you talking about?
  • DavPul
    Options
    LIFT!

Cardio burns muscle. Lifting builds muscle. Lean muscle gain increases your BMR. An increased BMR means more calories burned OUTSIDE the gym.

There's a reason marathoners are so thin and lean. Cardio is good for one thing... heart, lungs, blood vessels.

Lifting heavy *kitten* over and over will get your heart pumping and prevent your body from consuming your muscle for energy.

But if you lift, lift with intensity. Don't phone it in and cheat yourself.

I'm quoting because this is broscience gold....

no, seriously, what are you talking about?
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a fan of the "Both" approach! Why not make a circuit where you can incorporate both? I usually make circuits where i switch between cardio and strenght.

First circuit could look like this:
    10 x squat with weight
    Mountain climbers (30 sec)
    10 x bicep curls with weights
    10 x Back raises
    jump rope (30 sec)
    10 x lunges with weight (for each leg)

Second circuit
    20 x squat jumps ( if you like to add some weight, use a medicine ball)
    Plank hold (1 min)
    10 x push ups
    Skaters (30 sec)
    10 x Side lunges (for each leg)
    Ab hold (30 sec)

If you run through these two circuits a couple of times with only short breaks in between you will get your heart rate up and build some muslce. If you fell like there is room for more then add some of you favorite exercises:)
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're not lifting heavy, it probably doesn't matter. Buy a heart rate monitor and try your cardio workout one day and your lifting workout another. If one is way higher than the other, do that one.

If you are lifting heavy, and you're doing a full body workout, you probably shouldn't be lifting every day anyway. Like several people have suggested, alternate.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift. Cardio is unnecessary.

i'm training for a couple of triathlons. you're saying i should ditch the cardio??

stop talking in blanket statements and absolutes.
    OP said her goal is fat loss and her ticker shows she has one pound to go. I'm assuming she wants fat loss+muscle gains/recomp. For her, she should definitely lift and cardio is unnecessary. Cardio is good for your health but it doesn't do nearly as much for aesthetics as lifting.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i'm training for a couple of triathlons. you're saying i should ditch the cardio??

OP said her goal is fat loss and her ticker shows she has one pound to go. I'm assuming she wants fat loss+muscle gains/recomp. For her, she should definitely lift and cardio is unnecessary. Cardio is good for your health but it doesn't do nearly as much for aesthetics as lifting.

cardio is good for your health and for your aesthetics and compliments weight lifting as much as weight lifting compliments cardio.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

cardio is good for your health and for your aesthetics and compliments weight lifting as much as weight lifting compliments cardio.

Exactly! I'd like to add that our bodies also need stretching for balance and flexibility. Yoga or Pilates are both great for that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Exactly! I'd like to add that our bodies also need stretching for balance and flexibility. Yoga or Pilates are both great for that.

now that is just crazy talk!!!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

now that is just crazy talk!!!!

In for crazy talk......
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Diet+lifting can fully replace cardio if the goal is aesthetics. Diet to lose fat, lift to gain muscle. Cardio can help create a deficit or you can do it through diet. As far as aesthetics, I don't know of any benefits to adding cardio. If I'm missing something please inform me.
  • DavPul
    Options

Diet+lifting can fully replace cardio if the goal is aesthetics. Diet to lose fat, lift to gain muscle. Cardio can help create a deficit or you can do it through diet. As far as aesthetics, I don't know of any benefits to adding cardio. If I'm missing something please inform me.

BUT IT'S GOOD FOR YOUR HAWT!!!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Pls respond. Genuinely curious.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i don't have some scientific answer with tons of cited studies. i know that when i combine cardio and lifting, i look and feel better. am i advocating one over the other? no. i just know that even though i was pushing my lift maxes a little bit each week, i still felt like a slob because i couldn't run more then a few miles, and barely at a ten minute mile. so i started more running. i tend to do more low intensity steady state cardio for the running, and save the more high intensity interval training for the bike and the pool. why? because the interval training is harder on my knees and ankles on the run. the cycling and the swimming is low impact.

so i like doing both. i swim, bike and run, and i lift. does it really have to be one over the other? i just kinda think it's funny when someone i know is talking about their lifts and then is struggling up a few flights of stairs. aesthetically, is it the best for you? man, i have no freaking idea. but disregarding it completely can't be good either.

in my opinion, the low intensity steady state cardio and the high intensity interval training should be done on a matter of preference. some people are just not into one or the other... or either!! i'm not trying to convince anyone here that they ABSOLUTELY MUST do some form of 'traditional' cardio. look, if you want cardio from weights, just go and lift weights faster.

Some people can handle high-intensity or high-impact stuff, but they don’t have a lot of spare time or patience, interval training is the ticket. Both accomplish the same thing, but use different routes to get there; one is not ‘better’ than the other. interval training is more stressful on the body, but it’s more time-efficient. steady state cardio is time-consuming, but less risky, and less prone to interfere with recovery from weight training. Pick your poison.

And i think that there’s nothing wrong with doing both on an alternating or combined basis.