lifting weights to burn fat and become more slender

Options
I've never really ventured into the weights part of my gym, but I think I finally want to give it a try. After reading countless articles/forum posts/blogs on how weight lifting is so beneficial for losing inches, it's finally got my attention.

So, how the heck do I even begin? I'd like to lose inches all over (I know I cannot "spot reduce"), but I really have no idea where a newb weight lifter like myself should even begin. What machines? Or just free weights? How heavy?

Stats: 30 y/o female, 5"1", 115 lbs, looking to lose weight and slim up.
any other stats needed?

I'm in pretty good shape already, I do quite a bit of cardio workout daily. But, like I said never really hung out with the weights before.

Any practical advice I can apply to my gym sessions would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys! Happy Caturday!

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    Use this one if you believe that form and technique are important, you like seeing observable measurable progression, and feeling like a total badass.

New Rules of Lifting For Women: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
    Use this one if you like lots of variety, working with smaller weights, doing more reps and bodyweight exercises.
  • rhondatn
    rhondatn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed doing ChaLean by Chalene Johnson. Her program is all about muscle burning fat. It's a 90 program that uses free weights.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you keep with the lifting, you'll want to do free weights eventually anyway, so I'd suggest doing free weights from the start. It's also easier to go from free weights to machines than machines to free weights.

You'll get the biggest benefit by low repetition lifting. That is, the weight should be heavy enough that you should be exhausted on the 5th repetition in your last set. If you're just starting out, you'll be lifting pretty light weights - empty barbells are where most people start, and for some lifts, that might even be too much. You might only be able to do 10 or 15 pound dumbbells on your overhead press, for example. You have to experiment at first to find your strength level.

The other key to an effective lifting program is progression. You need to use any excuse you can to add more weights. A lot of beginners add weight every single time they workout.

Three best starting programs are

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

I think you're going to enjoy it. Make sure you practice good form, get enough rest, and have fun!
  • kitzmanrn
    kitzmanrn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using free weights for a few months now and have hit a plateau as far as weight loss and inches lost. I do quite a bit of aerobics as well. I have inquired about this as well and was told I needed to increase the weight amount I am using. I was just increasing the reps because I was wanted to see if doing more would help re-kickstart the loss. However, I feel like I'm in your boat as well. How much weight? and after how long do I increase weight? I want to buy a series of hand weight in different sizes but I would like to know where to start too.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    New rules, Starting Strength, Stronglift as suggested are all decent programs. The last two are really for powerlifting. They'll make you stronger- but really if your ultimate goal is fat loss and not really strength - consider circuit training.