Weight Watchers and MFP

Options
Is anyone doing weight watchers and MFP tracking at the same time? I lost most of my weight on weight watchers, but didnt want to pay anymore so am tracking on MFP. My weight loss has slowed down signifigantly. Im wondering if anyone knows about how many calories 29 weight watcher points would be. Im just curious as to generally how many calories I was eating at that time.

Replies

• type1foodie
    Options
    I think, very generally, that 1 point= 50 calories. But since fruits are free, WW counts fat as more points and fiber as less points, there is no specific translation. In my opinion, 29 points per day is about 1450 calorie per day.
  • nanliv32bm3
    nanliv32bm3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting. I find that tracking on here is better than the weight watchers tracker as the calories are already inputted.
  • lalasmar
    lalasmar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also like that the calories and protein,carbs,fiber etc... are all listed on food tracked here. The thing is that I seem to have lost more weight on WW - and so it makes me wonder about what an average amount of calories would be for 29 points. I am thnking that I am eating too little calories set at 1200.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I've done both, but not at the same time. I'm more satisfied with my results on here. On WW I wasnt conscious of the calorie count and ended up gaining weight before i finally gave up. On here I have had great results.
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a "weight watcher" lifetimer at goal and I get "26 points plus" and that equals out on here (or whatever tracking method I choose to use as I change it up fairly often) between 1200-1300 calories. I gained on 29. I bumped it down to 26 before the new stuff rolled out which was what they would have bumped it down to anyway. I wouldn't go lower than 1200...not healthy.
  • Rachiepoo0325
    Options
    I'm also a WW lifetimer and lost 45 pounds of baby weight a year ago. For me, I feel more accountable with MFP. I feel like there were so many 0 point foods I was eating that I wasn't really aware of what exactly was going into my body. Also, I feel like I eat more clean with MFP. I ate way too many processed, packaged junk with WW and never knew how many carbs, sodium, sugar etc I was eating per day. MFP gives me 1740 calories for maintenance and I have had much success maintaining with that. That being said, I love WW and always will be grateful for it, but I do like this a little bit better :)
  • lyndz711
    lyndz711 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Iv been doing weight watchers for a few months now and iv found it really good! Iv just joined this MFP as someone recommended it. Im allowed 26 ww points a day but when I have entered all my food onto here it says that I'm under eating and putting my body into starvation mode! Today is the first day iv tried it though so I'll have to see what happens but does anyone know how
    Many calories is in 26 we points?
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like having the discipline of being weighed in at the WW meeting, but love the flexibility of counting calories on MFP, and also fact it is easy to look at the calories on a packet and know whether it is low or not.

I have just been having a play around with my propoints calculator, and get 1000 calories to be 26 points. It seems low but I suppose that when you add in fruit and veg, and the 49 weekly points it will be higher.

I have created a seperate category on MFP to log all the fruit and veg that is free on WW.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking at both for several weeks now. My 26 point minimum plus the 0 point veggies and fruits can lie anywhere between 1000 and 1500 calories, depending on the foods chosen. Some things are low points but high calories and some things are not that high in calories, but WW really gouges you on them.

Like 1 cup of 1% milk is only 100 calories, but 3 WW points. Ouch!

Anyhoo, when I saw how few calories and few grams of fat I was eating by trying to choose low point foods, I set my MFP goals to be about 1600'ish calories (under 1700 really) and at least 25 grams of fat per day. I also have a goal of at least 100 grams of protein per day.

That translates to every single daily, weekly, and activity point I have available at WW! Those 45 point days look scary but I'm losing and I do have much more energy.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am doing Weight Watchers and MFP at the same time (I log everything on here, and in my points log and I go get weighed, but don't stay for meetings). It has worked for me, I've lost 28 pounds since March.

If you have Firefox, or you can download it, there is a plug-in you can install, which will track your points on the MFP website - in your diary. So you just enter your food, and it shows you how many points you've eaten.
    Here is the link: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/122949

It can be used for both the old and new points systems.
    Here are more instructions about getting it setup: http://userscripts.org/about/installing
  • Kanasucre
    Options
    I have lost 48 lb on WW since January 9, I like the programme, easy to follow and one does not starve even with 26 points. I just joined MFP simply to visualize how many calories I do take in a day.
  • RoseSweet
    Options
    I'm also doing WW's and counting calories on MFP, I read an article that 1200-1400 calories is equal to counting points, if you have less than 50 pounds to lose go with 1200, more, go with 1400. I don't eat my exercise calories either, if I'm hungry I grab a piece of fruit or have a salad, I never worry about going into the starvation mode they talk so much about on these threads, simply if I'm hungry I eat, but coached into eating healthy free count foods.
  • kgtgj
    kgtgj Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am following Weight Watchers as well. I use MFP to track my calories because I like to stick within a calorie range and with things like 0 P+ fruit and veggies I'm not being as accurate as I would like just tracking my points.
  • erinmieskowski
    erinmieskowski Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is anyone doing weight watchers and MFP tracking at the same time? I lost most of my weight on weight watchers, but didnt want to pay anymore so am tracking on MFP. My weight loss has slowed down signifigantly. Im wondering if anyone knows about how many calories 29 weight watcher points would be. Im just curious as to generally how many calories I was eating at that time.

Check out this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp

9692369.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Lau03
    Lau03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I realize this post is quite old, but like to OP, I'm trying to move from WW (my 12-week session is ending soon). I've lost 10 lbs on WW over the past 10 weeks (slow and steady) and I want to see if I can make the transition.

WW doesn't look at calories, but at Fat, Carbs, Protein, and Fiber. Sugar isn't tracked (hence why fruits count as 0). You can be within your calorie count with MFP, but be way over point with WW - which is what happens to me on a regular basis since I've been comparing both.

Thanks erintaylor for the link... I'll definitely give this a try.
  • melissawilson61
    melissawilson61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I, too, have done both and think that I will be able to better maintain on MFP. I had good success with ww but when it came time to maintain I really had to focus on good eating and exercise habits, not just concentrating on how many points.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've done both too. My mum has worked for WW for 20 years since she lost 5 stone with them. She gained 2 but is happy now. Anyway she stayed with me for a couple of weeks. I am about a stone heavier and an inch taller. We did an experiment. We ate similar meals but my cals worked out at 25 points and hers at 29 as she drinks real coke, has more choc than me and cream on her pud. Anyway, she stayed the same and I lost an lb. Cals worked out at 48 to a point average. I don't see the point of counting units twice so I stick with MFP. I don't like WW meetings but I read the mags when I'm given them and I do use some of the recipies and I'm pleased when I find the WW recipies I like in the MFP database.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    'm a member of WW. 50 calories per point was the old plan. 1 point = 40 calories. If you include say, 200 to 300 calories a day for the free fruit, it puts you at about 1400 calories a day.

Please be aware that the MFP does not allow a "weekly" allotment, like WW does. That's why I couldn't make the switch, and I just found counting points to be easier.

If you do switch, be sure you find a way to keep track of the good health guidelines, getting all of your veggie and fruit servings, healthy oil, etc.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I, too, have done both and think that I will be able to better maintain on MFP. I had good success with ww but when it came time to maintain I really had to focus on good eating and exercise habits, not just concentrating on how many points.
    ]

There is so much more to WW, than just counting points!!! As in my above post, you have to get all of the good health guidelines in, which is very similar to staying within your macros like MFP has designed. It's JUST AS important as staying within your points.

Either plan works - it's all about what you put into it.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above but it didn't come across in my previous post. It's one of the reasons I like MFP as I know some people liked WW of old where you had 'exchanges' like macros. Before I discovered MFP the WW points were based on the ratio of calories to sat fat and sugar. I think it's better nutritionaly now it's looking at fibre too but some of the things the leaders come out with in terms of nutrition can be a bit questionable.