Odd question on itching....

Options
One thing I noticed when I first started Weight Watchers a few years ago is that my belly area, where the majority of my weight is carried, was itching a lot for the first several weeks, along with my thighs. Both subsided after a while. When I started on MFP I have noticed the same thing. When I fall off the wagon, then started following either program, it happened again. I was wondering if anyone had areas of unexplained itching when they started losing weight? Maybe it's just me and something odd was happening, but I remember reading on the Weight Watcher boards when I was active on there a lot that people had similar issues but had no idea what it was either...sorry if this question seems a little odd...

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It most likely is just due to changes in the skin when losing or due to you not getting enough good fats in your diet and not enough water. If you are getting more than enough healthy fats and water, it is most likely just due to your skin changing. It happens now and again to me. A good lotion helps a lot!
  • CHLINK5614
    CHLINK5614 Posts: 2
    Options
    When you lose fat or decrease your fat intake a lot, the skin gets dry, hence the itching.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ok...never thought of those reasons before...makes a lot of sense!!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Loss of vitamins and minerals, especially iron, folic acid and B12- take supplements or eat foods rich in these.
    Dehydration- drink.
    Loss of skin elasticity- lotion.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Loss of vitamins and minerals, especially iron, folic acid and B12- take supplements or eat foods rich in these.
    Dehydration- drink.
    Loss of skin elasticity- lotion.

Thanks!!
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Anyone experiance itching while exercising or after exercising? Thats my problem right now but itching goes away 30 minutes after i am done with exercising
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    As a side note: I noticed that my fingernails were breaking more often now that I've lost my weight and they rarely break so that was a clue that I needed to be more aware of my nutrition and hydration.
    I am a notoriously lousy water drinker.
    I do take supplements including L-Lysine, an essential amino acid important for healthy skin. It is not made by the body and must be obtained from diet.