Hate to sound typical...But!

Options
I have always been a cardio girl. Running mostly and elliptical if my knee was bothering me. I always stay around 130-135, except when I went to basic training/ tech school I came home around 118-120, then went right back up to 130 when I got home:brokenheart: . I know staying focused on my diet is the key to achieving my goal but I also know I need to add lifting into my routine to see the results I would like. However, this is where the typical girl post comes in, I am unsure exactly what routine to incorporate. Some of my questions are :
- What weights should I start out with? <-- When I do use dumbbells I typically use 8 or 10lb. Is that too light?
- Should I focus on specific muscle groups each day or do multiple?
- What exercises should I do? <--- this is the big one. I say I want to start lifting weights but then I get lost in how many reps/sets I should do..how long my rest period should be and so forth. For example, if I am doing dumbbell shoulder press then in between do lunges or work a different muscle group so I'm not just standing there is that okay or should I specifically be resting?
- I keep reading lifting is the way to go, but don't want to give up my cardio, what is a good balance for keeping both?

Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I started doing StrongLifts 5x5 in February with all of zero lifting experience. The simplicity is what got me. :smile: Two workouts, three lifts each; Squats/bench press/barbell rows on one, squats/overhead press/deadlift on the other.

There’s a group here you might check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Have fun!!!

ETA: I lift 3x a week, and do cardio the other 3 days, with a rest day.
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any workout dvds? Jillian Michaels has lots of really good circuit training ones combining cardio with strength. If you follow a whole program all the muscle groups are worked. That way you're not giving up cardio, although no doubt it will be a lot less than what you are used to. Her dvds generally give good results fairly quickly.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Here is my routine. I was new to lifting when I startled last year.

1. I do push and pull workoits on different dsys
    2. Biceps and back on day 1
    3. Shoulder, chest, triceps on day 2
    4. Legs day 3 and 5
    5. Cardio 30 minutes day 1, 2, 3 and 5.
    6. Two hour long spinning sessions in a week. Usually day 4-6.
    5. One HIIT session a week
    6. At least 1 day rest built in.
    7. I to a lot of compound moves with isolation thrown kn here or there. Squats., lunges, deadlifts, bench press, leg press...

Heavy is s subjective term. If you cant maintain form then the weight is too heavy.
  • VixPal1
    VixPal1 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have p90X but only do the cardio videos. I suppose I could try adding those into my routine! I don't have a gym membership or want one! So workouts I can do at home are ideal!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have p90X but only do the cardio videos. I suppose I could try adding those into my routine! I don't have a gym membership or want one! So workouts I can do at home are ideal!

Do body weight workouts like pushups, pullups, squats, lunges and plyometrics like skipping and jumping off box.