Help me fitness pals!

Options
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh how to lose weight and stop eating sweets I loveeee candy and salty but I need help with other food choices.

Replies

• salford25
    salford25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am the same way and I been dying for Kit Kat for over 2months!!! The way I kill my sweets starving is to maybe have a lollipop here or there. Not everyday.. and not more than one! I love watermelon (typical, huh), so I eat alot of that. Also, I buy the 100 cal snacks that really help alot and also snack bar's taste just like chocolate bars but are more healthier.

I try not to eat more than one a day if possible, but playing around w/ the food database to see what is good and what is not works also.

Hope that helps some!
  • zazaz
    zazaz Posts: 36
    Options
    welcome here :)
  • bjenegiles
    bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have learned that the best way (for me at least) to satisfy a sweet craving is to have whatever you are craving...lol. If I want a twix, I don't need an entire KING size bar. I get the fun size pack and eat the rigt portion size and just make sure that I have enough calories left for the rest of my day. If not, I just go to the gym and try to work off those extra calories. It's best to have a treat now and then.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    You can microwave some dark chocolate chips and dip pretzels in it or marshmallows, bananas, strawberries, or other fruit, even nuts. It's really good, tastes indulgent, but the dark chocolate is so good for you! :)
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try gum, whenever I get the craving for something really sweet or sugary I chew gum instead. The "Extra Fruit Sensations" are really good and are sugar free and only 5 calories.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the lollipop also you can have one piece of a hard candy like lemondrops, cinnamon drops, jolly ranchers etc. Or if you are craving something salty popcorn or pretzels are a good choice. Play around with the food diary to see what are the best choices or buy a calorie guide. You can also find websites that have lowfat or healthy food recipes. Good luck. You can do it, just keep with it and dont give up
  • gaby1386
    Options
    I know i have a sweet tooth too! what helps is to check the lables before you buy junk food. Instead of buying regular ice cream try the weight watchers or healthy choice ice cream , its still very sweet and super low in calories and fat... believe me it helps! and their treats are super good! also always buy sugar free, they are sweetened with splenda so they still taste like they have sugar. Hope this helps ....Good luck!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh how to lose weight and stop eating sweets I loveeee candy and salty but I need help with other food choices.

Load up on protein & fiber. Chin up...it will get better. The cravings will subside more and more.
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    I get to craving sweets something terrible sometimes, I turn to pre-sweetened cereal. It's still healthy, full of vitamins and minerals, whole grains, and the calorie difference between them and regular cereal isn't much at all. Best of all, it satisfies my sweet tooth. Put a serving in a container and snack on them anytime, almost anywhere.
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    4 oz of frozen yogurt w/ a dash of chocolate syrup satisfies me.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I challenge you to research the crap out of the candy and foods you say you crave. I challenge you to understand exactly what it is that's going into your body and what happens when you do. You probably do need some sugar when you crave it, so get it by eating a piece of fruit. You have to fully wrap your mind around what it is you consume, otherwise it's all too easy to eat mindlessly. Give thought to your food. Eat slowly. Think about every one of your senses before, during, and after you have a meal. And that's another thing - make eating a ritual, hopefully a social occasion when you can, and eat meals. Don't constantly snack... I know you might not feel massive hunger all the time but I think you're supposed to feel hungry at some point during the day, and right before a meal seems the most fitting time.

Alternatives to sugary processed food your mind thinks your body needs: whole pieces of fruit; a homemade fruit smoothie with banana, frozen fruit, and a bit of milk; a bit of raw honey on some whole grain toast or in plain (FULL FAT) yogurt, half a tablespoon of peanut butter with 1/8 cup of semisweet chocolate chips (about 90 calories... less than half of a pack of Reeses).

Eat locally if at all possible. See if there's a farmer's market around. If you can't do that, then eat as much whole food as you can, minimizing the packaged or processed stuff. Make your treats yourself. Read Michael Pollan's "Food Rules"... that's probably the best thing that could help you. It doesn't have workout tips or any bullcrap - its cultural rules and ideas which people have developed that, until recently with Westernized food trends and our unsustainable global system, have kept people from being overweight for a long time.

I hope that helps...
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have found that half of a banana with about 1 Tbsp. of peanut butter really takes care of that sweet craving. I got the idea from a friend, and the peanut butter and banana on top of my Eggo Nutri Grain waffle in the morning even replaces the syrup I would have usually used.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I found with starting small goals really helped me. I know get little mints, fat free frozen yogurt or skinny cows to help with the sweet tooth. I started giving up snacks at night. I also bought small sized yorks peppermints and would have a few after dinner. I then gave up candy snacks in the afternoon and replaced with high protein snacks. I love Laughing Cow w/ Reduced Ritz Crackers and a fruit/vegetable. This was huge for me, but I have up Diet Soda. I never thought in a million years I would want to give up Diet Soda, but I just stopped one day. I will have one once in a while, but prefer water now. I'm amazed at what I don't want now. I also changed my iced mochas to non fat w/ one pump of chocolate and no whip cream. I encourage you to take small steps and sometimes have that food you love...you may find out you just don't love it anymore!!! Best wishes...add me as a friend!!1
  • tina_011794
    Options
    This may sound really bad for you and taste sinful, at least to me. Take a banana, leave it in the peel, cut down the inside curve of it. then place two small pieces of dark chocolate (less than 1 oz). You can then add 4-4 little Marshmallows (2.2 calories each). You then wrap it in aluminum foil and grill it for about 3 - 5 minutes (until hot). It is so sugar sweet, but mostly from the sugar in the banana!! These are my special treats, maybe once or twice monthly.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    I challenge you to research the crap out of the candy and foods you say you crave. I challenge you to understand exactly what it is that's going into your body and what happens when you do. You probably do need some sugar when you crave it, so get it by eating a piece of fruit. You have to fully wrap your mind around what it is you consume, otherwise it's all too easy to eat mindlessly. Give thought to your food. Eat slowly. Think about every one of your senses before, during, and after you have a meal. And that's another thing - make eating a ritual, hopefully a social occasion when you can, and eat meals. Don't constantly snack... I know you might not feel massive hunger all the time but I think you're supposed to feel hungry at some point during the day, and right before a meal seems the most fitting time.

Alternatives to sugary processed food your mind thinks your body needs: whole pieces of fruit; a homemade fruit smoothie with banana, frozen fruit, and a bit of milk; a bit of raw honey on some whole grain toast or in plain (FULL FAT) yogurt, half a tablespoon of peanut butter with 1/8 cup of semisweet chocolate chips (about 90 calories... less than half of a pack of Reeses).

Eat locally if at all possible. See if there's a farmer's market around. If you can't do that, then eat as much whole food as you can, minimizing the packaged or processed stuff. Make your treats yourself. Read Michael Pollan's "Food Rules"... that's probably the best thing that could help you. It doesn't have workout tips or any bullcrap - its cultural rules and ideas which people have developed that, until recently with Westernized food trends and our unsustainable global system, have kept people from being overweight for a long time.

I hope that helps...

Amen:)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    This is a list of snacks that may help you - it was posted by a fellow MFP'er several weeks back. You have got to explore what is low cal out there - there are options. Normally I am anti artificial sweetener but have given in a bit to satisfy my sweet tooth!

http://www.shape.com/healthy_eating/on_the_go/snacks/low_calorie_snacks/p/page/1
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I agree with knowing exactly what is in the foods you consume. I also would suggest cutting it all out. Your tastebuds will change-I promise! I was one of those people who had never tasted anything "too sweet" and didn't even understand the concept. Since changing my eating habits fruit and dark chocolate are great sweets. Now, I'm not even going to lie-I totally indulge now and then and unfortunatly more lately than it should be. But, when I'm on my game-I don't want any of that "crap"! Good luck!!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can microwave some dark chocolate chips and dip pretzels in it or marshmallows, bananas, strawberries, or other fruit, even nuts. It's really good, tastes indulgent, but the dark chocolate is so good for you! :)

What a great idea. I'm so stealing it. lol
  • jlcanon
    jlcanon Posts: 21
    Options
    When it comes to cravings the best thing you can do is eat what you want. Fit it into your calorie budget for the day. You might have to sacrifice something else in your diet, but if you want it eat it. Its about a lifestyle change not a quick fix. Failure in weight loss is mostly because of the giving up the things you love. It doesn't have to be that way as long as you are keeping track with your moderation and calorie budget.