Diet/zero-calorie soft drinks?

Options

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    EVIL things.

Okay, maybe not evil. However here's my pitch: low calorie sweeteners aren't worth it and change the way your taste buds act. When I quit Splenda, I had actual withdrawal symptoms of headache and moodiness. It took nearly a month for my taste sensors to return to normal and for me to taste natural sweeteners. I also have found that most "low fat" and "low calorie" sweeteners have side effects unrelated to their calorie count. For example, when I have a Diet Coke, I crave crap food - butter, salt, and more more more.

I have found by eliminating the fake stuff, I actually consume fewer calories. I used to love Crystal Light lemonade... thought I was doing something good and saving calories. When I switched to real lemonade with sugar - I found I could get by on just 8 ounces, and my total daily calorie intake actually went DOWN.

This is all my opinion, but there is some research about obesity rates being higher for people that consume diet sodas.

I've had good success with losing weight, and when I look back - it really started after I started eating the real stuff.

Either way, enjoy and the best of luck to you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    EVIL things.

Okay, maybe not evil. However here's my pitch: low calorie sweeteners aren't worth it and change the way your taste buds act. When I quit Splenda, I had actual withdrawal symptoms of headache and moodiness. It took nearly a month for my taste sensors to return to normal and for me to taste natural sweeteners. I also have found that most "low fat" and "low calorie" sweeteners have side effects unrelated to their calorie count. For example, when I have a Diet Coke, I crave crap food - butter, salt, and more more more.

I have found by eliminating the fake stuff, I actually consume fewer calories. I used to love Crystal Light lemonade... thought I was doing something good and saving calories. When I switched to real lemonade with sugar - I found I could get by on just 8 ounces, and my total daily calorie intake actually went DOWN.

This is all my opinion, but there is some research about obesity rates being higher for people that consume diet sodas.

I've had good success with losing weight, and when I look back - it really started after I started eating the real stuff.

Either way, enjoy and the best of luck to you!
    There's correlation with diet soda and obese people, but the diet soda isn't the cause of the obesity. Correlation isn't causation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i like a&w 10 and 7up 10 once in a while :smile:
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options

To my understanding, the big "problem" associated with diet soda (or anything artificially sweetened) is that it supposedly makes you crave sweets.

Dr Oz discussed this same thing on one of his programmes a few months back (viewed in NZ). He talked about our SWEET TOOTH (of which I have one) and how it is ONLY satisfied by the intake of sugar. So when we guzzle down cans and cans of sugar-free soda which tastes sweet, our Sweet Tooth is in no way satisfied as there is no sugar. So the craving for sugar intensifies the longer we go without the sugar burst. It is not the diet soda that makes you crave sweets - it is the fact that you haven't eaten anything with sugar to satisfy your Sweet Tooth. So make sure you have something with sugar at intervals throughout the day even if it is only a barley sugar or a couple of sweets. :-)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

To my understanding, the big "problem" associated with diet soda (or anything artificially sweetened) is that it supposedly makes you crave sweets.

Dr Oz discussed this same thing on one of his programmes a few months back (viewed in NZ). He talked about our SWEET TOOTH (of which I have one) and how it is ONLY satisfied by the intake of sugar. So when we guzzle down cans and cans of sugar-free soda which tastes sweet, our Sweet Tooth is in no way satisfied as there is no sugar. So the craving for sugar intensifies the longer we go without the sugar burst. It is not the diet soda that makes you crave sweets - it is the fact that you haven't eaten anything with sugar to satisfy your Sweet Tooth. So make sure you have something with sugar at intervals throughout the day even if it is only a barley sugar or a couple of sweets. :-)
    Dr. Oz's shows aren't a reliable source for evidence.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop of any kind almost 6 months ago and I can totally see a difference, I was a big diet dr. pepper fan and could drink lots of it! I do think its very unhealthy for a person, but too each their own, I gave it up as part of my get healthy plan. Either way good luck on your journey!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I find when I want something sweet I have one and it fixes that craving.

I drink litres of it a day, and get full check ups all the time. Nothing has ever come up.
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz's shows aren't a reliable source for evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

Perhaps not. I found prior to watching the programme that if I ate a piece of cake or a biscuit or similar twice a day I was better able to stick to my eating plan. When I became less disciplined with the sweet stuff, instead of sticking to my eating plan I started binging on cakes and lollies. I'm still trying to get this under more control. Whilst I respect your opinion and that of others, the programme did allow me to make some sense of what had been happening to me as far as my insatiable sweet tooth was concerned. I've just got to get it all back together - 40 kilos down, 34 kilos to go!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The problem that I have is that, even if it does cause you to crave sweets more, that doesn't mean that it's a given that you will eat more sweets.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options

There's correlation with diet soda and obese people, but the diet soda isn't the cause of the obesity. Correlation isn't causation.

Didn't intend to suggest there was causation - but it's an interesting thread of thinking. Either way, as I stated and in my opinion, I had better success when I avoided them. Another poster made a good point, just because you *may* crave more doesn't mean you have to eat more. However, I don't want to do anything to make my goals HARDER to achieve.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was a full Coca Cola addict before I started losing weight. When I quit it, I started to drink Diet Coke but found that I didn't like the taste so much as the BUBBLES. So I started buying flavored soda water and low and behold, it totally cured my need for soda. Every now and then I feel like having some real Coke, and I will have 1 once in a while, but it is not the all day event like it used to be.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cans of diet coke a day and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    The truth? They are terrible for you.

However, if you're someone like me (or even close to), they are a better alternative than regular pop. I was raised drinking nothing but pop and some juice, so it's been hell trying to give up pop. Basically, I really can't cut it out completely yet. I've gone from like 5-6 cans a day to one or two. My husband won't drink diet pop, so we keep the regular stuff in the house. I try to limit myself to maybe one of those a day if any at all. At work I choose diet.

The artificial sweeteners are horrendous for you. Some people do get ill from consuming them but most people don't. The big problem is with aspartame. It turns into formaldehyde if it gets over 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Splenda (sucralose) is a better choice but I haven't found any pop sweetened with it here. If you're trying to lose weight and artificial sweeteners don't make you ill I wouldn't worry too much about drinking diet pop. Yes, the artificial sweeteners are bad for you. Yes, they will help you lose weight. I've never heard of anyone dying from them. If you're only planning on drinking 3-4 cans a week you'll be fine. Just so long as you're not one of those people that are all "it's diet--it's just as healthy as water!". However, you don't strike me as one of those people haha.
  • redrosepink09
    Options
    I've always drank diet coke, and I've lost 28 pounds while doing so. So its okay, I know it isn't a healthy drink though, and I'm trying to cut down.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The big problem is with aspartame. It turns into formaldehyde if it gets over 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Same problem when ingesting citrus fruits. Or tomatoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Now I know that zero-calories are not fattening at all so I was wondering if I can have like 3-4 cans a week and be safe?
    What is the downside to drinking those drinks when it comes to weight loss?

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

i use to drink alot of zero calorie soda before a drank enough water, honestly once you stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water you will no longer feel the need to drink it anymore. IMO
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    The big problem is with aspartame. It turns into formaldehyde if it gets over 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

IDEA Fitness member

Really? Interesting. I didn't know that.

Either way, I'm on the "no problem with them" bandwagon. I don't think they're healthy, but so much of what we consume nowadays isn't.

Reading through other replies regarding the craving sweets thing: I've personally never experienced it. I'm sure other people react differently, but it's never been an issue for me.
  • cerexflikex
    cerexflikex Posts: 58
    Options
    Tastes horrible to me, so I just skip those altogether.
    Been working on cutting down on regular pop.
    I think you'll be fine with it.
  • beautifulbrat
    beautifulbrat Posts: 171
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried about them unless they make you feel sick/ill. I love my diet soft drinks and my crystal light mixes!

^I concour
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

uhuh

http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/aspartame-is-the-devil/
    In summary, if you are looking to limit your total calorie intake (or carbohydrates) then switching to an artificially sweetened beverage may be an option for you provided you do not have Phenylketonuria or get any adverse reactions from the consumption of aspartame.