Night Eating / Sleep Eating

Options
I have a serious issue with night or sleep eating. Before I started on making my life healthier it was never a big deal. Sometimes I vaguely remember getting up and eating. Most of the time I only have healthy stuff in the house but if I have junk food there is a rare occasion that I eat that when I'm half asleep. Other times its like I can't go back to sleep until I eat something. Anyone else have this issue?? Any tips on how to overcome it?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Save most/all calories for night time.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is like in the middle of the night. I wake up and eat then go back to sleep
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I used to do this but then I started eating like 400-600 calories within an hour of going to bed and it helped stop it. I literally just ate a cupcake after having a high protein meal and I'm totally stuffed. I can't sleep through the night otherwise.
  • Jacqueline86Chavez
    Jacqueline86Chavez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to do this but then I started eating like 400-600 calories within an hour of going to bed and it helped stop it. I literally just ate a cupcake after having a high protein meal and I'm totally stuffed. I can't sleep through the night otherwise.

I actually love eating at night, i tend to have a huge appetite after 6pm and not so hungry anytime before that.
    I cant fall asleep knowing i havent eaten much and dont like having an empty stomach in bed

Do you really believe that eating at night helps you gain more weight than during the day? Is it because you dont burn calories in your sleep?
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Maybe try having a really low calorie salad ready in the fridge for yourself? Maybe you'll snack on that if you know that "this is for when I eat in the middle of the night".
    It couldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work you can always have it for breakfast instead.

Edit: Oh wait OVERCOME it! Yeah I have no idea... I thinks you might need to talk to a psychologist for something like that.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    First understand why you wake up during the night. If you stop waking up, then you stop binging in the night. Could be a sign of stress or depression. This is something a professional can help you with but proper nutrition and training are themselves therapeutic for some people.
  • udamom
    udamom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i totally do this. usually after I take my Ambien to go to sleep and it is not working all the way it makes me what to go eat bad for me junk!!
    right now this is happening I'm on ambien and thinking about what is downstairs.....
    go to be don't
    eat!!!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of my calories right before bed.

I don't go to bed hungry. :angry:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    i totally do this. usually after I take my Ambien to go to sleep and it is not working all the way it makes me what to go eat bad for me junk!!
    right now this is happening I'm on ambien and thinking about what is downstairs.....
    go to be don't
    eat!!!

I would not recommend taking sleeping pills to avoid night time hunger.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    Do you so his because of sleeping pills? I used to do that too when I took Ambien 10mg. I cut them down to 5 and it does help me I dont eat as much.
  • Beccajo2004
    Beccajo2004 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I actually love eating at night, i tend to have a huge appetite after 6pm and not so hungry anytime before that.
    I cant fall asleep knowing i havent eaten much and dont like having an empty stomach in bed

Do you really believe that eating at night helps you gain more weight than during the day? Is it because you dont burn calories in your sleep?

It's more bc I feel like I don't have the self control at night that I do during the day. I usually eat a small snack right before bed to try to help. Like an apple or banana. But usually I still do it. A couple hours after I go to bed is when I want to eat