I want to start strength training BUT

Options
Reading New rules of lifting for women.

Have tried some strength (only 10 pounds) so not really strength from what I've read,.. On here.

And I really want to start strength training BUT I cannot go the gym because I have two babies, a working bf and no money in the budget for gym fees. I have weights here at home but only barbell with 25 pound weights and 10 pound dumbbells and lighter.

What can I do with that? Should I even attempt anything.

Even reading this book all the exercises are like a foreign language to me. I'm a visual learner and reading and pics just aren't working for me.

So what do I do?

Replies

• Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try bodybuilding.com and exrx.net to watch the videos on how to do the different exercises. There are also example workouts to follow. Look also on youtube
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked it out by a few of my friends do workouts from You are You Own Gym. There's a book and an app.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have weights here at home but only barbell with 25 pound weights and 10 pound dumbbells and lighter.

That equipment isn't a bad place to start. I don't know how much your barbell weighs, but as a beginner, there's probably enough weight there to be a challenge to you. If you can find a couple extra weights for your barbell somewhere, it might last you several months.

If you want a nice simple routine, Stronglifts 5x5 is as simple as it gets. You only need to learn 5 different lifts, and you only need to do 3 different lifts on days you workout. Use YouTube videos to watch how to do the lifts right. Or you can read the descriptions in NROL4W, since you have a copy of that already.

There's a Stronglifts group here on myfitnesspal that has useful stickies and nice people who are happy to answer questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • jacobjacksmom
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. Still not quite sure what I'm going to do! But I'm goin to do something! :)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    www.nerdfitness.com is a great site and mostly using your body weight to create at home strength workouts.

This one is great to start out with;
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

No equipment necessary and should only take you 20 mins.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    just start with the equipment you have, and keep an eye on craigslist, kijiji or even freecycle for extra weights.
    my first barbell and 30lbs weights were $10 on craigslist. and I just picked up two 10lb plates at value village yesterday. $3 each. that should keep me going a few more weeks. it's not a reliable source, but when they have stuff, it's usually a decent price.
    i've seen people give away their entire weight gyms for free - too bad my car was broken down at the time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked it out by a few of my friends do workouts from You are You Own Gym. There's a book and an app.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Deadlift, Squat, and benchpress are generally considered the most important Strength exercises. First two only require a barbell (squats can be a little complicated to set up but are still doable) and a benchpress requires a bench but could possibly be substituted witch DB Floor presses.
    You have everything you need to do Shoulder Presses and Power cleans so you could do "Starting Strength". It's a common and very effective Beginners Strength program.
    There are also instructional videos for all the movements on youtube.

edit: as mentioned above Stronglifts 5x5 is equally good option too and not much different. same issue with the benchpress though but good if you don't like doing power cleans.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    www.nerdfitness.com is a great site and mostly using your body weight to create at home strength workouts.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Thanks for this. I have been looking for a beginner bodyweight workout that is all ready for me to go and doesn't involve me looking up videos on how to do the exercises (because Im lazy!). This is exactly what I need!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. I have been looking for a beginner bodyweight workout that is all ready for me to go and doesn't involve me looking up videos on how to do the exercises (because Im lazy!). This is exactly what I need!

You are very welcome.
    He does include videos for if you want to check you are doing it right or aren't 100% sure on a move but I watched it 1 time through at the beginning and now I just do it with the list of reps in front of me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you're too lazy to look up videos on the internet??

thats cool.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Reading New rules of lifting for women.

Have tried some strength (only 10 pounds) so not really strength from what I've read,.. On here.

And I really want to start strength training BUT I cannot go the gym because I have two babies, a working bf and no money in the budget for gym fees. I have weights here at home but only barbell with 25 pound weights and 10 pound dumbbells and lighter.

Even reading this book all the exercises are like a foreign language to me. I'm a visual learner and reading and pics just aren't working for me.

So what do I do?

cant go to the gym? go to the park and do bodyweight exercises and sprints (preferably up hill). cant go to the park? buy a pull up bar, a folding bench, and a set of adjustable dumbbells (or a barbell set if you have garage/basement space).
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I second nerd fitness. Excellent resource.

Also You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are excellent routines.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you want to start something a bit more beginner that, can help you strengthen and get a bit leaner that works great with 10 pounds weights and lower 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 (or I think most Jillian Michael workouts) are good for that. Especially to get you started.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm a single working mom of a 3 yearold so I'm short on time too. I generally have to get my runs in during my work day so I don't have time for strength at the gym either, unless I want to give up running. So for now I've downloaded the You Are Your Own gym ap. Apparently you can download the videos to go with it, but so far I've been just using the pictures and descrptions on the ap and I find it perfectly easy to understand. If you can't do an excercise (some use door frames, mine aren't strong) it easily allows you swap out an excercise for one of the same type. Anyway the workouts are only 30 minutes long and you can do them anywhere. I do it after my daughter goes to bed. I do pick up weight for some of the leg stuff though, squats, romanian deadlifts, lunges. I've got 25 and 35 lb kettlebells I use.