Painting

Learning2LoveMe
Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
How would you log this?

Replies

• AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    You most likely wouldn't because it's not traditionally considered exercise. You could try using a heart rate monitor during it.
  • You might be able to log it a house cleaning - There is an insert for that - It says light, moderate or heavy (or something similar). You can probably gauge how hard you painted and put it in as house cleaning.

I'd log every activity that you can that you know you are burning calories doing - Don't settle for just not logging it!! We work too hard to burn as many calories as we can to just NOT include some hard work cleaning or painting!!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Since it is something that you don't normally do, it wouldn't normally be in your daily activity calories, so I'd count it. I looked it up in my charts (I'm in an exercise physiology bachelors program and we have a chart for calorie burns of various things, including home repair.) and painting a house burns between 3 and 5 calories per kilogram of body weight per hour. 3 for indoor painting and 5 for outdoor painting.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    I have been painting every day this week we are painting every room on the main level of our house 4 rooms in one week. Walls and trim it is a workout and half. Good luck on your painting.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    I am guessing you mean painting objects like walls or a fence....go to caloriesperhour.com. While it might not traditionally be considered exercise, it is probably something outside your normal activities. I just came home from picking huckleberries for four hours....I did not wear my HRM so I went to the web site and plugged in my activity, and have claimed 180 minutes and half of the calories they said I burned, simply because this is not something I do every day, I was walking on hillsides and bending over a lot, and the sun was beating down on me.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Thanks everyone! And yes, I painted one of the rooms in my house today. :happy:
This discussion has been closed.