Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I hate double posts.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous - Mcdonalds doubles up there large fries to create a 1,142 calorie portion

Is it any wonder people are getting so BIG when they are actively encourage to eat this amount??

We need to see portions getting smaller. Heart attack city.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10076819/McDonalds-creates-highest-calorie-menu-item-ever.html

"The limited edition serving of chips is twice the size of a large portion and contains a whopping 1,142 calories - more than half the recommended daily calorie intake for women.

As a result, it dwarfs other items on the fast food giant's menu: Large French Fries contain 460 calories; a hamburger 250; double cheeseburger 440; McChicken Sandwich 385. Even a Double Sausage and Egg McMuffin with cheese only has 565 calories.

According to Japan Today, the Mega Potato is being advertised as "perfect for sharing" and is launched after the director of nutrition for McDonald's insisted that its menu can be good for you.

When The Salt Lake Tribune asked Dr Cindy Goody in March if her company's food was healthy, she replied: "I do."

"It is possible to eat from the recommended USDA My Plate food groups when visiting McDonald’s. It’s about choice. It’s about customisation. It’s about looking at the calories on the menu board," she added.

Not here they're not. AND...no one is forcing anyone to eat them.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    OH NOZ, PEEPS IZ GONNA HAVE TO CONTROLZ DEMSELVEZ!

Lies! What I consume is everyone's fault but mine!
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So what? McDonald's can sell whatever sizes of fries/chips it wants to. Do not blame obesity on one thing (McDonald's fries) it's far more complex a problem.

I agree... No one forces a person into mc Donald's or forces them to eat all those fries. I angers me how nowadays ppl don't want to take responsibility for their own decisions and blame companies trying to make a profit. It's well known that McDonald's is unhealthy, chemical filled food yet ppl still go there and eat it. Corporations like McDonald's are simply meeting public demand. If everyone stopped buying the **** they'd eventually go out of business or be forced to change the way food was processed and made. Simple as that.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    personal responsibility. it's a real thing.

I think it is absurd that McDonald's cut their kids meal fries down to like a half dozen and then throws in apple slices.

Especially when it's a chore to get a child to eat an apple slice after they've tasted a salty french fry. Yes, we eat apples and demand that we do. Then when they leave the nest, they get a mega fry cause their friends do.
    This isn't necessarily true. My nephews (10 and 8 years old) choose to have apples and milk with their happy meals because they like them. Or at least they did before it was changed. When they first got the new happy meal with fries and apples, they both pulled the fries out and said, "Hey! I wanted apples!" In the past, my sister would ask what they wanted, and they would choose the "healthy" choice, not because it was healthy or forced, but because that's what they wanted.

McDonalds isn't an everyday thing for them either, and they're very active and fit. Heck, the 10 year old has had a six-pack for a couple years already and is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Lies! What I consume is everyone's fault but mine!

Word! ;)
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great! This means I can make McDonald's fries my entire diet with minimal effort!

:bigsmile: True Dat!!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Normally the only fries we get there come in the "Happy Meal". My daughter eats all but one of them and she shares that ONE with me. I see no reason to eat more than that because I'm just eating it for the taste not the so called nutritional value.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Most young people go to fast food places to socialize and have some tasty food. Most young people do not share their food. Overweight adults order 20pc nuggets and eat them all. Cameras at mcdonalds tell them so. These same people eat a pound of fries. Is it their fault? YES!!!

Do I understand the impulse when you are poor, depressed, and miserable? Yes. Limit the sizes and give folks who do not have the mental capacity, a break... Please.

Why on earth should I have to order two meals instead of one if I want 1000 calories of food, simply because other people can't control themselves?
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Why not just print up some 'This fits in my macros' paper bags for them

:flowerforyou: Oh... I should so get his on a t-shirt... people give me some evil stares and I just say "you do you. it fits my macros".
  • Carpaydeeum
    Carpaydeeum Posts: 116
    Options
    the idea of "sharing" sizes must really work psychologically to sell more to people who would feel bad or resistance to buying a larger size...i see this with candy (m&m sharing packs) and donuts...i guess it works for fries too. Its like McDonald's 20 piece nuggets for 10 bucks marketed as a group eating food...

And yes it is my choice ultimately if i fall into the trap. But it doesn't mean that it isn't an intentional trap being set.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    So what? McDonald's can sell whatever sizes of fries/chips it wants to. Do not blame obesity on one thing (McDonald's fries) it's far more complex a problem.

I agree... No one forces a person into mc Donald's or forces them to eat all those fries. I angers me how nowadays ppl don't want to take responsibility for their own decisions and blame companies trying to make a profit. It's well known that McDonald's is unhealthy, chemical filled food yet ppl still go there and eat it. Corporations like McDonald's are simply meeting public demand. If everyone stopped buying the **** they'd eventually go out of business or be forced to change the way food was processed and made. Simple as that.

Haha yeah because it is as "simple as that" isn't it. No one is saying that people don't need to take responsibility for what they put in there body. Why would I advocate "victim" playing and irresponsibility? No, quite simply. If you eat McDonalds and ****e like that everyday with no thought of the consequences then yeah to be frank you will be fat and unhealthy and riddled with disease.

The point I was making is that responsibilty works both ways, it has to or how else do you combat obesity? There are people in America, UK and all over who would if its there eat it. Its a chemical addicition like drugs and alcohol.

I think its wrong to introduce something that size. Ahh well.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    THE MEGA POTATO?

seriously. this is gross.

Its mental. They know damn well people will eat it.

Who's forcing them? Stop demonizing the fast food industry while ignoring people's free will to eat health or unhealthy. Give me a break.
  • ElliieMental
    ElliieMental Posts: 189
    Options

You stop that. I have no self control or willpower. I MUST EAT WHAT THEY SERVE ME.

:laugh:
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    THE MEGA POTATO?

seriously. this is gross.

Its mental. They know damn well people will eat it.

Who's forcing them? Stop demonizing the fast food industry while ignoring people's free will to eat health or unhealthy. Give me a break.

Ah yeah because the food industry has no part to play in obesity what so ever. Give me a break.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Why on earth should I have to order two meals instead of one if I want 1000 calories of food, simply because other people can't control themselves?

Simply because other people can't control themselves. And it's not a hardship for you to order two large fries. Providing reasonable portion sizes reduces intake. Even when people can order as many portions as they want.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    It entertains me, mcdonalds sells 20 pieces with the intent they can share.
    Next we will bash KFC for selling buckets of chicken. dem evil fast food.

funny how nobody bashing KFC for selling whole buckets, right?? OP order small fries and get over yourself

Oh dear. Is that necessary? Grow up.

Says the person howling that it's McDonald's fault for making people fat? Ppffffffft! :laugh:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This discussion is hilarious.

If you eat too much and get fat, it is not the government, or a fast food chain's responsibility. It's yours.

It's not like they're jamming a funnel down your throat and filling you up with Coke.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Simply because other people can't control themselves. And it's not a hardship for you to order two large fries. Providing reasonable portion sizes reduces intake. Even when people can order as many portions as they want.

I am at a complete loss as to why "other people can't control themselves, so all meals need to be set at a size suitable for dieters/inactive people" is a logical argument. Reasonable portion sizes differ for different people, depending on activity, age, gender, and other factors, which is why (surprise!) there are meal sizes ranging from small to very large.

And yes, it is obnoxious to buy two. It costs more for the same amount of food. If they made their meals small enough that I had to buy two, I would just go to a different fast-food joint which would give me what I want.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    If they called it "Family size", it wouldn't be an issue.