Best protein powder for women...in your opinion

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    ... replace "protein powder" with meat in every one's response.

What's the best meat for a woman to eat?
    Meat will make me bulky?
    What meat tastes the best?

I think people forget because it's in powder form they forget it's just food.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eating real food for your extra protein needs. It tastes great every time!
  • moo1907
    moo1907 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm stillt rying to get my head around this protein powder thing..do you have it as a meal replacement?
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I'm stillt rying to get my head around this protein powder thing..do you have it as a meal replacement?
    Protein powders like whey isolates don't really have a balanced nutritional profile to replace an entire meal. Vegetable proteins tend to be deficient in some sort of amino profile so they wouldn't normally be considered a complete protein. Syntha-6 because it contains fiber as well is a good base for a meal replacement, but doesn't have enough carbs for me. You could solve this by adding a banana or oats + some leafy greens with your whey. Milk also has a decent amount of proteins and carbs which would also round it off better as a meal/snack

Slimfast is basically a whey protein mixed with fillers. You can also buy protein powders that have minerals added if that matters to you.

A supplement by loose definition is something you don't get in your normal daily diet. If you normally get enough protein then there is no reason to buy protein powders or buy shakes. Whey if you shop around is mostly beneficial due to its price per gram of protein and its convenience. It can be cheaper per gram of protein than an egg, but it scares people because you're paying possibly $45 upfront.

I buy protein powder to make sure I hit my protein macro (My Fitness Pal sets it a little low for most everyone) and I can also use it to make really quick recipes like microwave cakes and brownies.
  • moo1907
    moo1907 Posts: 24
    Options
    Protein powders like whey isolates don't really have a balanced nutritional profile to replace an entire meal. Vegetable proteins tend to be deficient in some sort of amino profile so they wouldn't normally be considered a complete protein. Syntha-6 because it contains fiber as well is a good base for a meal replacement, but doesn't have enough carbs for me. You could solve this by adding a banana or oats + some leafy greens with your whey. Milk also has a decent amount of proteins and carbs which would also round it off better as a meal/snack

Slimfast is basically a whey protein mixed with fillers. You can also buy protein powders that have minerals added if that matters to you.

A supplement by loose definition is something you don't get in your normal daily diet. If you normally get enough protein then there is no reason to buy protein powders or buy shakes. Whey if you shop around is mostly beneficial due to its price per gram of protein and its convenience. It can be cheaper per gram of protein than an egg, but it scares people because you're paying possibly $45 upfront.

I buy protein powder to make sure I hit my protein macro (My Fitness Pal sets it a little low for most everyone) and I can also use it to make really quick recipes like microwave cakes and brownies.

Thanks! So is this something you should only use if you are looking to do body building and all that jazz?
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have used Optimum Nutrition for a few years now. Love it!

I also agree with others who say that protein is gender neutral.

You're gender neutral! :P

I've used Optimum Nutrition on and off the last 18 months and have several female friends try it and end up getting their own tub as they enjoy the flavour, it's low carb and reasonably priced. They seem to use it as a meal replacement as well as post workout shake.
  • Warchortle
    Options

Thanks! So is this something you should only use if you are looking to do body building and all that jazz?
    It depends on your macros. Generally speaking people will consume .6 to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Lean Body Mass is everything on your body except fat. This includes bones, skin tissue, organs, muscle etc. Bodybuilders drink protein shakes because it allows them to hit their protein macro, is generally a cheap protein source, easy on the digestion etc. This doesn't mean that I can't drink a protein shake to hit my macros, save money, and also have it be easy on the stomach.

A good example is some people like working out on an empty stomach and some people don't. A protein shake will give you good branch chain amino acids and just general calories to fuel your work out, but since it digests so quickly it sit in your stomach being awkward like a bagel. (I mean that's subjective, some people like full pre-workout meals, some people don't.)

Remember the protein powder is basically a food. Anyone can eat a food if it fits their dietary needs. If you find yourself eating a lot of pasta and carbs and you're -25g under your protein for the day and you don't feel like cooking 2 eggs then have a protein shake.

Sidenote: there are 3 essential macro and 1 non...
    Carbs / Protein / Fat with alcohol being non-essential.

Even though fiber technically has a caloric value many nutritional tables won't count it because it's an insoluble source of fiber, which passes through your system.
  • Meghan_odonnell01
    Options
    Optimum nutrition's Egg Gold Standard. What was recommended to my by my crossfit PT.
  • ohiohammer
    ohiohammer Posts: 1
    Options
    There are several things to consider when choosing a protein powder for women. If you are looking for something that is low in calories but still packs a high protein punch I would suggest BSN Lean Dessert or Biochem 100% Whey Protein. For other protein powders for women check out this www.bestproteinpowderforwomenguide.com.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    In my opinion, protein is gender neutral.

^^^^This
  • hshcakes
    hshcakes Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Arbonne's vegan protein and I love it! It's pricey but worth it especially if you have an issue of the texture of whey protein! I know they have other vegan proteins out there (just got a vanilla one on clearance at the store!). It has a pea protein in it :)
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, protein is gender neutral.

This. Protein doesn't care about your genitals. It's just protein.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Women shouldnt use protein. Makes you bulky.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    For women? Well there was this one thing I've always thought off as extra protein, but recently I've found out that it's actually mostly carbs.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    For women? Well there was this one thing I've always thought off as extra protein, but recently I've found out that it's actually mostly carbs.

But you have to admit, I had you believing it for awhile!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    the ones in pink packaging?
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey powder that I bought from amazon.com for my son. I liked the taste in smoothies. I cannot have milk products anymore, including whey, so I am looking for another protein powder now.
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm using Bodylogix Protein+ at the moment. It does have formulations for both men and women, but as others have said, it's just marketing. I'm one of those people that's not too picky about my protein powder though as long as it tastes good. The bodylogix for women does also come in a 1lb bag, which is nice for me.

As for use, I use mine for workouts since I don't like eating in the morning.