29 things the uk does that the usa should be doing !

Options

Replies

• YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump so funny :))
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Sadly they are saying no alcohol in many parks now : (

Well there goes my Monday morning . . .
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that Canada also has cheese rolling (#18)
    http://www.canadiancheeserolling.ca/
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Meanwhile-in-America-pics20.jpg

Love.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about one country versus another I am british but have lived in America and Australia. If I could ban one thing it would be the ubiquitous multi national food companies and franchises. I would be happy to see the back of McDonalds, Pizza Hut et all even their healthy options are too fattening. I would also love to see a ban on food advertising on TV. I personally have not bought food from an outlet for 3 years and think all mfp pals should do the same. Like good old Martin Luther - I have a dream! If you don't eat junk tell people.

Given the conversation - Martin Luther didn't have a dream, Martin Luther King Jr. did. Martin Luther is responsible for Protestantism, and as I understand it, the founding of America by the Puritans, though.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    #24 is the Christmas market in my university city, Bath!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Gotta do me the cheese-roll some time.

Maybe some time when I've got a good bit of cash put away so that if I do break a bone (pretty likely), I can still feed myself, however.

Greggs seemed amazing when I first found it - when it was cheaper and more of a Northern thing. Could actually get a decent lunch in a city centre with the £5 allowance we got. When they got bigger (don't recall seeing any in the South at the time), the prices seem to have crept up and the quality down.

In a few towns around my area we've got a bakers called "wilds", which is similar, but local and cheaper - a lot of the items are "any 2 for £1", which is pretty reasonable.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    22. Signs that notify you when the next train is coming. <
    We do this one. Well, at least in the DC/MD/VA area metro.
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The date thing is so true - I always have to think for a minute when I see an american date - why is the month first? So confusing! And chips & gravy is where its at! :D ooh and custard creams are amazing too. mmm
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Dont forget the cheese on the chips and gravy! :tongue:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    my comments as a brit:

a. yay for cheese rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b. those London Underground displays that tell you when the train is coming.... what you have to understand is that the minutes are very flexible. Sometimes they're very loooooooooooooooooooong minutes, other times they're little tiny short minutes. There's some kind of highly intense gravitational field down there that dilates time when it feels like it, so basically just because it says that a train will arrive in two minutes, it doesn't mean that a train will arrive in any sane, non-relativisitic sense of the term "two minutes"
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm American... and I wish we had most of this list to be honest... I need to go spend some time is the UK... ;D
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    images_zps02a7f649.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

b. those London Underground displays that tell you when the train is coming.... what you have to understand is that the minutes are very flexible. Sometimes they're very loooooooooooooooooooong minutes, other times they're little tiny short minutes. There's some kind of highly intense gravitational field down there that dilates time when it feels like it, so basically just because it says that a train will arrive in two minutes, it doesn't mean that a train will arrive in any sane, non-relativisitic sense of the term "two minutes"

True. It's kind of the that 7 day period in the bible. Especially on the Jubilee line.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    Drink buckets of tea and open a pie and mash shop
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As a full bloodied European living in the US for the last 16 years I fully support/miss - boozing at any time of the day/ any place, long vacations, cursing without raised eyebrows and nudity everywhere!

Right on Brits, right on! :flowerforyou:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

True. It's kind of the that 7 day period in the bible. Especially on the Jubilee line.

Perhaps there are wormholes down there...

I think Greggs probably only makes sense if you feel mildly nostalgic for bread filled with raisins and covered with sugar (mmmm... Belgian bun). Without the nostalgia, it wouldn't work for me.

Nice to see a reminder that a university education is still relatively cheap, seeing as we mainly just remember to whinge because it's not free any more...
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

Perhaps there are wormholes down there...

I think Greggs probably only makes sense if you feel mildly nostalgic for bread filled with raisins and covered with sugar (mmmm... Belgian bun). Without the nostalgia, it wouldn't work for me.

Nice to see a reminder that a university education is still relatively cheap, seeing as we mainly just remember to whinge because it's not free any more...

Except the Scottish, of course...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    you know what the UK should do? win some world wars.

as far as i can tell they didnt lose WWI or WWII or are you from an alternate timeline? is Elvis still alive where you come from? :D

Joke post was joke

you are not very good at telling jokes.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Is one of them having tea time?