working out with kids

Options
So during the weekend it is harder for me to get a gym workout in. Im looking for ideas to do at home with the kids. I let my daughter ride her bike and we "race" as I jog/beside her butI need other ideas though for a good cardio workout

Replies

• mardilise
    mardilise Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I clean the flat till I sweat! Have you tried Zumba? If you can, torrent a zumba workout video.
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? I have a baby and a toddler, so if I'm going to exercise on the weekends one of them is with me. We either jog with a stroller or the toddler comes along for a long bike ride in the ibert.

My husband and I also run through a 7-8 minute cardio/strength workout in our living room using a chair and a wall. The baby loves to watch us, and the toddler like to try the activities. They were posted on the nytimes: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/. It's definitely not like going to the gym, but it's a good quick whole body workout, especially if you do it twice!

Good luck! If I don't get in a bike or a run weekends are much harder for me too, as I can never make it to the gym.
  • pattya925
    pattya925 Posts: 398
    Options
    I also do the jog as he bike rides thing. Yesterday, I had my son, his friend, and I do a squat jump contest to see who could do the best squat jumps w. proper form - They loved it and we each easily did 20 or so. We also raced up a stairwell (74 steps) that is near my house. We played a game with the RC car where one person drove it all over the place while the remaining 2 chased it. The first to catch it was in control of the car next.

My son is 10 and he does HIIT with me and joins me at the gym. We shoot hoops, spend time at the park, go swimming, hike trails, walk everywhere we can. We have races to "the next stop sign" or "that telephone pole" and really sprint! We enjoy Just Dance 3 or put on random dance music and go crazy in the living room. We have tickle battles and pillow fights. :)
  • klcalliari
    klcalliari Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a two year old and I do turbo fire in my living room.... Such a killer cardio workout and she somehow likes to watch.... Usually she's a crazy person!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. frisbee
    2. catch
    3. trampoline
    4. kick ball
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do videos and let my nephews join in =) One is 16 months old and does squats with me =p

If you do one with dancing I bet they'll have fun with that, I also don't think it hurts for them to learn good habits like exercise!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    If I workout during the day, I have been doing body weight exercises and exercise ball exercises with my 3 year old. She loves them and will now randomly do them because she feels like it.

6d4664ef883a87fc2bb44c1d5560230a_zpscf58c892.jpg
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    wii fit, zumba on the xbox, bike rides (one in the ibert and one on his own bike), walking to school & back (1.5 mile round trip), jogging with stroller, 100 pushups app on my phone. These are all things I do with my kids around, 2 boys ages 4 & 9. Gonna be sad when little guy is too big for the ibert, it's gonna be soon too.
    My 4 year old loves to do yoga with me when I do it on the wii fit. My older son loves bike riding, so we try to do that a couple times a week.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old son , 13, and 15 year old daughters run with me. The girls lift weight with me and I come up with a workout excluding weights for my son! All of them do workouts on YouTube or video games with me.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Depends how old your kids are. We do the walk/run/bike thing too.

We:
    - play soccer
    - go to the pool (dragging kids around is definitely a workout!)
    - play tag
    - go hiking
    - we have a Cosmic Adventure here. Going in the tunnels with the kdis is a workout and a half.
    - they sometimes like to join along in doing exercise videos
    - things like wii fit and dance dance revolution, that sort of game is fun to do together.

Just go play!
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the ideas. My daughter is 5 years old. Im downloading Zumba as we speak so I can play it through our PS3 streaming. Im sure she will love it. We were doing hip hop abs but the file got corrupt on my computer
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I teach a Kindy Sport class at work to 2-5 year olds - in one hour I burn around 400 calories!
    We do things like
    - warm up - march, skip, high step, tip-toes, heel-walk, sashay etc
    - stretches
    - chasey
    - ball skills - simple catch, throw, kick. Can play "keep-it-up" with balloons.
    - if you have a smooth floor, sit on your butt and scoot backwards using hands and feet. Or scoot forwards pedalling with your feet (don't use hands)
    - jump like a frog, squatting with hands on the floor
    - jump like a kangaroo, standing with knees bent
    - hop, make sure you try both legs
    - hinge forward at the waist and walk with straight legs and hands on the floor
    - walk stifflegged, like a penguin
    - crawl/squirm on the ground like a slug, keeping stomach to the floor
    - roll sideways like a log
    - lie on your back, lift yourself onto hands and feet, and walk like a crab.
    - run around flapping your arms like a bird
    - basic bodyweight exercises - on hands on knees, get kids to touch the ground with their nose (push-ups), lie on their back and touch their knees (sit-ups), lift one or both legs in the air lying down, or sitting up a little. Lie on back, legs in the air and cycle, or open and close forward and back like scissors, or clap with their calves.
    - starjumps

etc etc... :D
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have done the 30 day shred video with mine. Jumping jacks are tricky, someone gets smacked in the head and stepped on, but they think it's just a big game. Good to get them moving too!
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on YouTube has tons of exercises to choose from. As short as 10 min to as long as over an hour.