Running shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    as many have stated...what works for us, may not work for you....but having said that, my favorite running shoe(s) right now are anything by new balance.
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    'Till now I've been running in my shape ups which isn't very good and I'm thinking about buying new ones, I had in mind the Skechers GoBionic , are they good? Do you advice any shoes in particular?

No nike shoes, for some reason all the nike shoes I owned over the years (about 15 pairs) always hurt my ankles when I run.

You've been running in Shape Ups?! You should be thrilled you haven't hurt yourself and immediately walk briskly to a running store to get fitted in some real shoes.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Problem with most running shoes is that they encourage bad posture and poor running techniques and so increase the strain on the angle, knee and hip joints. It may be worth considering shoes such as the Vivobarefoot

The thing with barefoot running (shoes) or minimalist running shoes is it really takes about a year to adjust to them without hurting yourself; if you've been wearing traditional running shoes all along.
    I learned the hard way, you don't just buy them and jump in.
    If your tendons are used to an elevated heel in your running shoes, dropping to none or near none can cause havoc on your Achilles.

That's not the case with everyone. I ran in Asics Kayano & had to stop due to thyroid problems. I was on the couch for about 2 years and gained a lot of weight.

I started running again at the end of January in NB Minimus and have not looked back. Other than aching feet for a few weeks, no problems. (I weighed around 230+ then) I now weigh 221 & running about 75 miles a month. I tried to run in the Kayano a few weeks ago and after about 1/4 mile had to return home and change into the Minimus. It was like running in clunky boxes. LOL

Recently a novice runner on my FL switched to the Minimus and she hasnt had any problems.

I think one's foot plant determines if there will be a long transition period to minimal shoes. I am a mid foot runner & although I am over weight, I run light. I urge everyone to try running minimalist/barefoot, it's the only way to go.

I gotta tell ya, at 221lbs I now run like an animal....a penguin!

Wow, I had Keyano 19's, custom fit orthotics, and terrible IT band / left knee pain - I think they made the pain even worse. Switched to the New Balance <=>, (no idea what they are actually called), with the Vibram barefoot sole, huge difference, no more pain! I thought I was the only one.

I've had my vibrams for a few years, but I only started running in them this past December. I guess I adjusted to them easier because I've always preferred no shoes to any shoes, but running in them got rid of my hip pain that I had when I ran in my pumas.

As for the OP's question, running in lower profile shoes will give you stronger foot and leg muscles and help you feel better during all kinds of movement. Obviously you have to work up distance in them slowly, but the results are really rewarding. Most brands of running shoes make low drop running shoes now, definitely something to consider.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I just invested in my first pair of running shoes and I bought Brooks and I love them. Pure connect two is the specific Brooks I bought. They are light weight and super comfy.
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Brooks girl!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wear Saucony (the kinvara to be exact). They have a ton of different styles for different foot and runner types. They also have pretty good sales and are available at a lot of different stores.

I tried out the Kinvara 2 last year and recently bought the Kinvara 3 (I'm a generation behind because they're cheaper that way). The 2s were listed as great for flat feet. Although the 3s don't come in under that same category, I still like them. They're a minimal, lightweight running shoe. Despite my low arch, I've never had a problem. I recently read that minimal shoes are good for flat-footed people because it helps build strength in our arch. They are also made of breathable fabrics (which is great for me because my feet sweat a lot lol).

FYI: I currently only run on the treadmill (I'm working on gaining my running endurance both endurance wise and breathing wise).

Hope this helps. :)
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No two people have the same feet or the same body mechanics. What works for me, may be disastrous for you.

Seek professional help and go to a reputable running store to get fitted. Pay the extra money for their expert advice and get what is right for you. After you know what works, you can save money if needed and buy replacement pairs online or at a discount. But getting the right shoes is essential to minimize the risk of injury.

^^^This. I had a pair of Asics that I wore for a month only. My knees started hurting and they ended up hurting for the entire winter. I had been fitted by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I went to a more reputable store and was properly fitted. I ended up with Saucony Triumphs and now I just walk into the store, grab the latest Saucony Triumph shoe in an 8 and a half and no problems with my feet or my knees. Everyone needs a different shoe depending on whether they supinate, pronate or are neutral (I was told I was the most neutral person they had ever seen which is hilarious because my personality is anything but neutral. lol) Go get fitted properly and your body will thank you.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Echoing many people here: unless you care enough to learn about feet pronation and figure out your gait, then you better go to a reputable athletic shoe store to be fitted by a professional. Yes, you would be paying full retail price the first time, but hurting your ankle, knee, or hip is not worth the $25 you save online.

Personally I have had good luck with New Balance.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Skechers? Yikes! I adore Skechers Shape Ups for walking because they're one of the few types of shoes that don't tear up my feet, but I can't imagine ever running in them.

As the others have said, getting professionally fitted is the best way to go, Barring that, do a little research to learn more about your feet and the most suitable shoes for your type. I haven't gotten fitted yet since I just started running about a month ago, but I'm having great luck with Nike Flex. They're pretty minimalist, and surprisingly they don't blister me like most shoes (I live in FL and my feet are used to sandals so almost any substantial shoe rubs them raw).
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the amount of running you intend to do. I do not plan to run past about a 5K. I average 4-7 miles a week. Therefore, the special at TJ Maxx usually works fine for me if nothing rubs and the arch feels like it does something for me and the heel doesn't rub. In this way, I can wear them a lot (more than I should, while doing housework and such), while playing tennis, put a new insole in them as needed, and replace in a year.

Now, if you are looking at long distance running or have pain...get fitted and do the expensive route. My two cents. That's my current plan. Mom of three and I just can't afford unnecessary luxuries. Asics tends to be a good go-to for me right now. They breathe great so that air passes through then on summer runs, dry fast if they get wet, and have a good arch. My last pair the arch never seemed to settle in, so I put a Dr. Shoel's insert in them from Wal*Mart and now I love them. Also, make sure you can get a good double tie on the strings when you lace them (sounds silly, but a must for me.)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I agree with ^. I run about 5 miles in ONE RUN... about 3-5 runs PER WEEK... so it's different for everyone.

I've killed a pair of $200 Saucony runners in about 8 months... DEATH... BLOODY... PAINFUL DEATH.

I recently bought a pair of New Balance runners... very nice... light... actually MEANT for people who Suprenate like me (run off my toes... I'm pigeon-toed!) so I haven't had any problems!!

Go to an athletics store & actually get FITTED by someone who knows what they hell they're talking about. Believe me... BIG difference here!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Lot's of great advice on this thread but it bears repeating, what is good for one person might be terrible for the next.

I wore Nike for years, now they aren't right for me anymore as my body has changed as I've aged. I'm now in Asics. The last time I had a professional fitting ( a few moths ago) I tried on 18 pair of shoes from at least seven different brands. It was worth the time and money. Well worth it. (I speedwalk 30-40 miles a week). My husband has worn New Balance for 12 or so years, before that he wore something else (can't recall what) but his foot and stride had changed over time so they were no longer right for him.

Even for the casual runner/walker, it's worth spending the cash for a pro fitting. Those shoes will last a couple years or more if you are only doing a few miles a week, and it's a lot cheaper than e co-pays if you end up with an injury. It might not even end up costing more, depending on the style that ends up working for you. Use your running shoes only for running, have another pair for everyday use. When the running shoes lose their spring you can still wear them for everyday use, so you'll get your monies worth out of them.
  • Wizard87
    Wizard87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough how it is worth it to go to a reputable running shop and talk to people who know how to fit running shoes to each person. Your weight, running style, and especially whether or not you pronate, will make a huge difference.
    I have relatively flat feet, am heavier, and pronate. I was in agony using New Balance, which is a good brand. But once I got fitted and got a pair of Brooks, wow, what a difference.
    If you do go to a running shop and they take the time to do the job right, pls do them the courtesy of buying from them, even if you can get the same shoe cheaper elsewhere. They will have saved you a lot of pain and wasted $$ you might have spent buying shoes that aren't right for you.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    To illustrate the importance of shoe type: I have two pairs of New Balance shoes with the exact same price and bought from the same store. One pair is designed for stability, it hurts my knees after only several runs. The other model is designed for cushioning, and it's the lightest & most comfortable pair of running shoes I've ever had.

Any reputable brand sells a wide range of models covering different types of runner. Unless you're willing to spend hours of research figuring out which model does what, you're better of getting professionally fitted.