Is there any reason not to eat a Steak every Day?

Options

Replies

• daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was a huge red meat eater..... I just finished six months of chemo that followed colon and liver resections due to stage 4 cancer. Wasn't a lot of fun and it's pretty scary thinking my cancer could come back and/ or my kids won't have a mom. It wasnt worth it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    plenty of reasons
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Second the recommendation for grassfed if you can afford it.

This all day, along with whoever else has mentioned it.

Not a great idea to eat lots of bad meat, by that I mean the meat of an unhealthy, downtrodden, mistreated animal on an awfully wrong diet. I'd put money on that being the kind of meat that will give you cancer. And you don't want meat that needs to be injected with chemicals and stored for months before going on a shelf, which a lot of standard meats are.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There is the environmental effects of beef versus other protein sources. Consider the graph at

http://www.ewg.org/meateatersguide/a-meat-eaters-guide-to-climate-change-health-what-you-eat-matters/climate-and-environmental-impacts/
  • k8n1
    k8n1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Depends on the quality of the steak. Where is it from, how was it feed? I just watched the documentary KingCorn. A little slow, but the information is great. No wonder people around here don't wish to consume meat not raised here. I would try and get protein from other plants, legumes, quinoa (?), etc. to up my overall protein if needed. I had my first nutritionist at the gym die from a heart attack and we all thought he was in unbelievable shape. I am now more concerned with quality. Good luck with your progress...
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    plenty of reasons

Oh Reddy - we missed you. Good vacation?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    plenty of reasons

haha lots of work unfortunately. :)
  • Duracelbunie
    Duracelbunie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So weird, guess as always, everything has mixed reviews , I lost 40lbs in 6 weeks eating steak 3 times a day. It works well for people whise body does not maintain or build muscle very well. It seems to work faster than any other program I've done. Planning to start again in June.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it every day because I can't afford it. =)
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depends on the quality of the steak. Where is it from, how was it feed? I just watched the documentary KingCorn. A little slow, but the information is great. No wonder people around here don't wish to consume meat not raised here. I would try and get protein from other plants, legumes, quinoa (?), etc. to up my overall protein if needed. I had my first nutritionist at the gym die from a heart attack and we all thought he was in unbelievable shape. I am now more concerned with quality. Good luck with your progress...

plant protein has terrible amino acid profiles. I still eat some of it but i believe its not optimal to have the bulk of your protein come from plants. plus the fats in meat, dairy, eggs and especially in fish are an added benefit. i tent to eat fruits and vegetables for their micronutrients not their macros. well that and because i like them.

The meat quality where i live (central europe) is generally very good btw, especially if you are willing to spent a little more money.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think there would be anything wrong with it as long as you are not restricted from red meat for religious, medical or personal ideology issues.

I often like to eat steak 2-3 times per day at 4-8oz per each serving. It's fantastic and it's good protein, I choose leaner cuts so it keeps my fat down. I love steak and yep it is super easy to prepare. I literally cook my lunch in the mornings while doing my hair (steak pan cooked with shredded rainbow salad) as it takes less than the 15 minutes my hair dryer takes to dry my hair properly.

So go for it!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I love steak, and had some tonight, fried in butter and olive oil, but I do limit it to once a month, due to cost, and due to not really believing too much red meat is healthy. Bit sad that someone who was a vegetarian for over a decade, discovers a love of steak, but hey hum. Apart from chicken, it is the only meat I like.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Oh man.. If I could afford to eat steak every day I would be in heaven!!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you don't worry about environmental issues, animal treatment and your actual body health...sure ;)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Money is a big factor.

For grass fed I dont see as much harm. Much healthier for you according to studies.
    plenty of reasons

haha lots of work unfortunately. :)
    140 lbs to lose. Fat *kitten*
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If you don't worry about environmental issues, animal treatment and your actual body health...sure ;)

images-7_zps1b23dd75.jpeg
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Great responses. I've been wondering because I'm a burger fiend. I eat them every other day. I eat mostly chicken, beef and turkey. I also wish I could afford steak every day :grumble:
  • grow_n_show
    grow_n_show Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Red meat can take longer to digest in your system giving you a bloated looking midsection and "midlife man midsection"

Closer to raw you eat it the better to remove this issue. Cooking it destroys enzymes and causes red meats to release free radicals into the body.

also..taurine in that tasty red meat is destroyed from cooking it (your body can synthesize it, but it shouldn't have too!)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Red meat can take longer to digest in your system giving you a bloated looking midsection and "midlife man midsection"

Closer to raw you eat it the better to remove this issue. Cooking it destroys enzymes and causes red meats to release free radicals into the body.

also..taurine in that tasty red meat is destroyed from cooking it (your body can synthesize it, but it shouldn't have too!)
    you do realize grass grown beef also has antioxidants? better to eat it rarer to keep creatine in it as well.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the type of beef your buying. Grass fed, antibotics free beef is an excellent and healthy source of protein, however it is very heavy on your pocketbook. The American Heart Association does state there is an increase in chances of heart disease for a diet rich in red meat. However as an RN who loves beef, I do as I please and just maintain a biannual check up to monitor.