1200 calories.. is it really that important?

Options
In my head it just seemed obvious, less calories, the more weight you loose
However my food diary showed that my daily caloric intake was about 1000 calories, thanks to the use of herbalife shakes.
I was happy but myfitnesspal recommended i intake a minimum of 1200 calories in order to maintain my metabolism and get adequate nutrition.
But i am getting nutrition form the herbalife shakes right. I'm only concerned about my metabolism now.
Should i make sure getting that minimum 1200 calories even with my herbalife shakes, or is it okay to stick to my 1000 calories.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    MFP won't give you less than a 1200 calorie goal because it's considered to be the bare minimum for women. And for the majority of us, it's still probably too low, likely lower than your basal metabolic rate, or your BMR. If you want to keep your metabolism from slowing, you should probably be eating more than that, or at least netting your 1200.

Your quote on your profile says "Harder Better Faster Stronger" - those things require a well-fueled body, and eating 1000 calories a day isn't going to get you there. :tongue:

Hard to offer much more advice without more info about you though - height, weight, how much you are wanting to lose, fitness goals, what your workouts are like, etc.
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with kiki, besides you don't want to look skinny fat if you do lose the weight. ?.oh another thing is I doubt if you're going to drink those shakes for the rest of your life because when you start eating regularly you may not like the results.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is a reason that it is the recommended minimum by experts. So, yeah, it's important.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    it's fine...

if you are 4'6"
  • spiritcentral
    spiritcentral Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find myself at the same place, with the same questions- so I did some research..
    I eat right at 1200 a day, and based upon my calorie deficit and workout deficit I should be losing 3.5 lbs a week, but I'm not. I was the first few weeks, but now it's 1 lb a week.
    I really do think there is something to eating at least your BMR, to keep your metabolism from slowing down.
    I have decided to eat 1400 for this week and see if that kicks things up a bit.

My BMR is close to 1600, but I don't feel comfortable going that high, so I will try 1400 first, and bump it up slowly. Plus adding protein (I'm a vegan, and protein in tough). Also adding weights this week.
    I am starting to think about muscle and body composition. Even as a woman that is important.
    I've lost weight before (over 60 lbs), and gained it all back, and I think I'm fatter this time as i didn't build muscle at the same time.

Here's the catch- You CAN lose weight fast (until your metabolism slows down) if you go below 1200. When it slows down and you are still drinking your food you may give up as you feel to restricted. You can't go below 1200 (or your BMR )if you want to keep muscle. Your body will eat that muscle to make up the calories IF you don't get enough. It doesn't just burn fat. So once you lose a lot of weight at the low calorie rate, you are technically fatter than before even though you weigh less. And IF you gain weight back, you gain back fat not muscle.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The problem is that your body can only get so many calories per pound of fat everyday. I think the safe estimate is about 22 cal/pound of fat per day.

So if the difference between the amount you burn in a day and you eat is greater than your body can get from fat it is going to slow down your metabolism, increase your hunger response, and/or go for your muscle stores(mainly if you are not consuming enough protein). Thats why at certain body fat percentages you need to start upping your calories a little bit.

If some one could correct me if I am wrong that would be much appreciated.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You won't die if you eat less than 1200, but you might wreak havoc on your metabolism and end up gaining weight back. Do you want to yo yo or lose the weight slowly and keep it off forever?

I'd also like to add my opinion, which is that herbalife shakes are overpriced and overhyped. You'd be better in the long run with real food (or real homemade shakes). Herbalife might help you lose the weight but you're going to have trouble keeping that weight off once you stop using them.
  • vfett1018
    vfett1018 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different, but the 1200 calorie mark is supposed to be the lowest a woman takes in. In my opinion, eating less than that, you will see great results the first week, but then your body will start holding onto fat and you will no longer lose weight off of it.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    it's fine...

if you are 4'6"

excellent response :laugh:

also, getting your nutrition from a herbalife shake makes me go :huh:
    try eating a well balanced diet from WHOLE FOODS for nutrition and eat enough to keep your metabolism and energy levels high.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents,

Yes... it is really that important.
  • kikichevibolbu
    Options
    thanks everyone, the advice is greatly appreciated. this is really putting everything into perspective in terms of how i want to my loose weight and if i want to go about it in a healthy way. I'm going to raise my calorie intake, and do this right.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, the advice is greatly appreciated. this is really putting everything into perspective in terms of how i want to my loose weight and if i want to go about it in a healthy way. I'm going to raise my calorie intake, and do this right.

good to hear :) Good nutrition should be based around health, performance and physique. balance is required.