My Zumba review

Options
Ok, so I finally took my first Zumba class. And I took it more to give myself some information on it. People have been posting insane calorie burn from 1 hour of zumba, with or without a heart rater monitor , and I just had to know for myself.

I wear a HRM when I exercise. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall and I weigh 155 pounds. (Just in case you were wondering) I spent 60 minutes in a zumba class, this was my 3rd hour of exercise for the night, I did weights, ran 1 mile, then 1 hour of pilates before Zumba. This class is always packed, 60 people, the room was unusually hot this night ( it was over 80 degrees in the room, the AC wasnt working right) I stood right in the front of the class , right behind the teacher , so I could see what she was doing. I gave it my all the entire hour, I made everything I could high impact, she never offered any high impact moves, but I did them anyway. I was getting some strange looks , but I didnt care. it was a fun, fastpaced ( not to mention hot ) class. I enjoyed it. I burned a total of 460 calories. My Heart rate was at an average of 127 the whole time. ( when I run its at an average of 155 ) .
So there ya go, my review .:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lorilai
    lorilai Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for that review! I just watched a late night infomercial and about had myself talked into ordering the Zumba dvd. It looks like a blast.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The gyms around here don't offer Zumba (yeah, being oversea sucks sometimes), so I got me the dvds. Usually I burn almost 600 cals in one hour with it. And it's fun.
  • zumbalori
    zumbalori Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just got a heart monitor to wear this week and I have been burning over 900 calories in my class!!! I weigh 215 and have a pretty rapid heart rate, I got up to over 180 today and really need to watch that. I LOVE zumba, it's my favorite cardio. I do 3 zumba and 3 kickboxing per week. I burned more in zumba which actually surprised me but it really is totally different. We take more "breaks" in kickboxing to get ready for the next move and receive instruction so I'm not moving as constantly.
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    my burn on my HRM was 499 but the class was only 54 minutes and there are slight breaks between songs when she switches up her ipod. Im 5'9" 215 so I was pleased with it. I would like to get an 800 burn though...
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just worked myself through 6 of the basic steps (dvd #1) - no way to tell what the heartbeat is, but it's definitely beating! I can easily do the #1 and #2 parts, but when they get to the full speed, uh no. I'll get there, I know. I feel very big and left-footed though at the moment.

I ordered it a while ago, and it took forever to get here - back ordered. I plan on doing it every day until I get more comfortable and then I want to do it at the nearby studio.

It's fun though -just hard.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I just worked myself through 6 of the basic steps (dvd #1) - no way to tell what the heartbeat is, but it's definitely beating! I can easily do the #1 and #2 parts, but when they get to the full speed, uh no. I'll get there, I know. I feel very big and left-footed though at the moment.

I ordered it a while ago, and it took forever to get here - back ordered. I plan on doing it every day until I get more comfortable and then I want to do it at the nearby studio.

It's fun though -just hard.

You will get used to it.After the third day I knew the steps and were able to do them with the right speed. Even when I get out of rythm, I just move and try to get back in.
    Funny part is ... I was never a sports person. I can honestly say I HATE sport. But now I can't wait to get back home to my dvd player and put on of the dvds in. And I feel good after one or two hours of pushing it, exhausted, but good. I even noticed that it has an influence on my everydays life. I move more, walk more, just try to DO something. So I can seriously say Zumba did me a huge favor.,
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am GOING to the class on Monday! I really need something to take my mind off of life right now and exercise is the way to go

Thanks Tam for your review. :flowerforyou:
  • blbeane
    blbeane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tami, you stats are awesome!!! WAY TO GO!!!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Tami, you stats are awesome!!! WAY TO GO!!!

Thank you! :drinker:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I am GOING to the class on Monday! I really need something to take my mind off of life right now and exercise is the way to go

Thanks Tam for your review. :flowerforyou:

your welcome :)

I can say that I pick up moves very quickly, so I never just stood there watching.. dont ever do that, keep moving, Fake it if you have to!
  • DivaMuscle
    DivaMuscle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba since April 2010 - and relied on the MFP database to give me a rough idea of calorie burn. Let me tell you it's waaaaaaay off...

Today was the first time I used a heart rate monitor in the class and I'm actually burning twice as many calories as I originally thought. For me at 140lb it was 550 cals! Incredible for an hour of dancing like you belong in the Rio carnival. Absolutely love Zumba and cant recommend it enough as a form of fun exercise that keeps you smiling all the way through!

:D