change

Options
Time to make some changes, Hi everyone I'm glad to be joining you. I have tried every kind of diet out there, and nothing has worked, or not for a long time anyway. So I need to change everything, the way I eat, exercise, and think! I'm almost 40 and in the past couple of years I quit smoking and gained a ton of weight! I have been dealing with high BP, and prediabetic. I feel horrible, always tired and sore, and I don't do anything to get that way. I know I need to exercise and I start out doing good for a few days then find a reason not to. I've been putting my food and exercise on here off and on since June and figured I didn't need to use any of the other parts of the board, apparently I was wrong because I'm not doing so well on my own. Guess it helps to have the support of others doing it as well.:blushing: Ok, so now that I know I need help I look forward to hearing from you all and I'm ready to get this thing going!

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!!
  • kimmielou1957
    Options
    Hi, Debjunti! Twelve coworkers decided the same thing - time to change! We bagan last Monday (8/2). Everyone put $50 in the kitty. We will weight every Monday for 12 weeks Winner gets $450, second, $100, and third gets their money back. We are encouraging each other and sharing fitness tips, food challenges and fabulous finds via e-mail, and a "Hey, girl, you're lookin' good" in the hall! :bigsmile: We're in Chattanooga, TN. Wishing you much success! Kimmielou
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi. We all need support. Most of us left alone will slip back into old habits. I'm not one who thinks exercise is fun, but I've learned in the last couple of months that it makes me feel better. This last week has been not great for what I've been eating, and I've been barely exercising. My schedule at my teaching job was changed, and I've been at the school bascially day and night trying to take care of everything except me. This morning I went for my 2 mile walk. I knew if I waited one more day I would be that much closer to quitting altogether. I have friends on this site that congratulate me when I'm doing great, and encourage me when I'm not. We are there for one another. Feel free to friend me.
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    Welcome! Besides logging your food and exercise, every morning read at least one of the success stories posted... I guarantee you that when you're feeling down or frustrated, the stories will help. You'll be surprised at how many of us have the same issues so you're not alone:) you have already made a huge step to improving your health by quitting smoking which Im sure wasn't easy! ( I'm not a smoker) Take small steps, you'll get there! You can do this. Good Luck!
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    I feel horrible, always tired and sore, and I don't do anything to get that way.

Welcome.

I'm not an expert, so I could have it wrong but watching how my wife and I are I have a problem with this statement. You have done something to make your body tired and sore by taxing it for a longer period of time without giving it the tools to heal itself. Exercise and proper nutrition WILL hurt even more for a while but, in my opinion, will soon provide the energy and relief from pain that you need. Yes, you will still be sore and tired from time to time but you'll know why and it will privide you with a sense of accomplishment.

It sounds like you've been trying to do this on your own and that's WAY HARD. At the least, try to find a friend here on the board (I'm probably not a good choice) to report back and forth to so you are accountable to someone other than yourself. Better would be to find a workout partner so you are committed to a time and place to walk (or whatever) and the excuses become easier to avoid. The best would be to start out with a trainer to help you get into the new lifestyle but they are costly and can become a crutch.

Good luck.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    your topic says it all.....CHANGE!

change your eating habits, exercise, thoughts about your health, and you will have success. Log your food and exercise and LEARN from it. It is a process and a journey worth while. You matter and only YOU can make it happen. There is tons of advice here and just as much support. Whatever you put in it, you will definitely get back! Good luck....now go after it! :flowerforyou:

If nothing ever changes, you will always get the same results.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I feel horrible, always tired and sore, and I don't do anything to get that way. I know I need to exercise and I start out doing good for a few days then find a reason not to.

Just letting you know that I am 52 (as of today!) and started on MFP in January and have lost 41 pounds by logging my calories! I felt tired, lousy, aching, unmotivated all the time, prior to losing the weight. Now I am happy to report that I feel GREAT, find myself energized and after an annual checkup found out just how healthy my body has become inside too - which is such a bonus!
    I knew that exercise would be my weak link, so in order not to set myself up to fail, I started out only committing to exercise 2x a week for 30 minutes. I could not make it 20 minutes on the elliptical when I started and now I go for 50 minutes; could go longer if my brain didn't talk me out of it! So my suggestion is to start out walking or find a piece of equipment that you enjoy (as I said, elliptical if my machine of choice) and pick 2 days a week to commit too. You can do 2 days! What I believe you will find is that once you get that high from working out, you will want to recreate it and do it more often. ALSO, I found local friends who wanted to walk, and we walk together on occasion - they will keep you accountable, so try to find 1 friend who can become your exercise buddy. I just want to encourage you to take it one day at a time, and there are even some days you just have to take it one meal at a time, but if you persevere, you will succeed! Good luck to you on your journey! Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • debjunti
    debjunti Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the support everyone, I feel real encouraged already! I'm heading out now for some exercise!