Ever eat the same thing over and over, because it's easier?

Options
Birdy989
Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
I had all these grand plans for making an awesome salad for dinner. I've got a fridge stocked with veggies, and most days I use them all. But at the end of the day today, I was too tired, and it was too late. I have a great BBQ planned for tomorrow (buffalo burgers -- my homage to "real food!"), but today I ate the exact same thing for dinner that I had for breakfast. Pros: At least I still ate good and stayed under calories Cons: I had virtually no micronutrients today, no veggies, no fruit. Ever have days like that where you just don't feel like making anything so you eat the same thing that you did earlier? I have to laugh, because in the morning I'm so rushed and busy that I eat the exact same thing every single day. No exception. All those breakfast ideas I just read sounded awesome, but I know I just won't do it. I mix up my lunch and dinner pretty well. But honestly, I sometimes find that "the rut" is just easier.

What about you all? Do you sometimes give into the toast and cottage cheese (or whatever) for dinner because it's fast and easy -- and then tell yourself it's better than ordering a pizza or getting carry out?

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have those days. I try to remember that my nutrition is a balance over a few days, so one low veggie day won't hurt me in the long run, as long as I "mostly" get them in on other days.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Almost every day :ohwell:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! My mornings are crazy, so I eat the same thing for breakfast nearly every day: a Special K breakfast sandwich. Easy to prepare, and I can take it on the run.
  • ashlovesjesse
    Options
    I honestly do it more than i would like to but i also take a one a day womens multivitamin to help me get the nutrients that my body essientially needs. :happy:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My lunch is the same every weekday. My dinners are a rotation of favorites. My breakfast is after dinner by an hour.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yup! I've found that if I can prepare the veggies in advance, it helps, but I need to be better on multivitamins on days when I don't eat my veggies. I try to keep a good "quick" variety of foods so that even thought choices are not stale: like breakfast, greek yogurt, or greek yogurt with fruit, or whole wheat Healthy Choice bread with peanut butter and banana, or a protein bar, or a glass of chocolate milk, or lowfat granola Kroger cereal (YUM), or oats in various varieties with either fruit of chocolate chips.

Then, lunch, Hummus is a great staple on veggies or an Xtreme Wellness Wheat soft shell in the microwave for 15 seconds. Or leftovers.

Supper is usually something the family will eat, or a combination of leftovers, so I get some variety there.

Snacks, it's pretty easy to have a variety on hand (some of the above), or a smoothie. Variety is key for me, or I start making poor choices. Nuts of all types, variations of lean protein, protein bars, fruit...these help me stay fresh and increase my resolve to say no to other choices personally.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Almost every breakfast i eat maple and brown sugar oatmeal with strawberries and bananas chopped up in it, with a couple turkey sausage patties. Why? I still like the taste, it fills me up for a while, and I can pretty much make it on autopilot without thinking too much.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    well...i eat the same thing over and over, but i tend to make a large batch of whatever (casserole, crock pot stew, meatloaf, etc) and portion it out for the week. it is TONS easier, but it does get a little boring. i usually switch up my snack to keep it interesting. :)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same things. I'm very busy, I'm on a limited grocery budget, I've figured out what works, and I prefer to just do it without thinking too much about it.
  • karen1612
    karen1612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yep. Porridge for breakfast and cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch. Maybe I'll have some cherry tomatoes and mushrooms to munch on if I get to the shop at lunchtime.
    As has already been said, it's easy and can be made on autopilot and I know the calories already.
    Only having ot work out the calories for dinner makes life a lot simpler.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    my breakfast is pretty much the same, always. It's just easier when I'm half asleep, and trying to get 2 kids ready and in the car...

My lunches are mostly the same, with leftovers from the night before swapping out for the protein. I'm a creature of habit.
  • dalekirk1
    dalekirk1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You have to do whatever works for you.

Last night I prepared an entire weeks worth of lunches to take to work full of vegies, chicken, beef and rice. Yeah it get's boring sometimes, but I just put extra sauce or salt on top for taste ;) ... just a little :P

Some mornings I wake up and cant be bothered making anything for breakfast so I just have a protein shake with some oats and im out the door.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Same Subway sub and chicken parm dinner 4-5 days a week. I'm a creature of habit.
  • ScruffyPants
    Options
    I have the same breakfast, lunch and snacks every day. They are easy to prepare and I enjoy them
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I honestly do it more than i would like to but i also take a one a day womens multivitamin to help me get the nutrients that my body essientially needs. :happy:

I just wanted to check that you know that multivitamins are dietary supplements? and not dietary substitutions? There is a reason they are labeled supplements.....

I also eat the same thing over and over for breakfast, every day. Sometimes when I am lazy I skip healthier options for peanutbutter and toast, but I tend to eat the same things pretty much every week. Same salads, some fruits for snacking same types of proteins.

Its hard when you are busy. I think if you are the sort of person who is likely to run out of time during the week your best bet is to prepare as much as possible on the weekend. Prepare two or three healthier (than toast) meals and freeze them. You can come home and reheat them with relative ease and convenience.
  • 09NewMe12
    09NewMe12 Posts: 18
    Options
    At think alot of us do this at the beginning as we try to get into a routine of eating right...sometimes it is hard to figure out what to eat or how to balance it, and at the start it is easy to eat the same foods beofre mixing it up a bit oir finding what works...but yes even then, sometime good ol faithful comes into play when I stay blankly into the fridge after a long day with a fridge full and no motivation to see what to eat.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same things every day. I think that it is okay if you find what works for you and you like it and it fits your calorie intake. When I get bored, I find other things to eat.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    nope, but it is oh so tempting. so are frozen dinners and anything with a barcode on :-p
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had Fruit Toast for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on Friday.. along with a few snacks.. didn't realise until I was entering dinner in my food diary.. not to worry, I don't do it every day.

I do however eat similar things each day, for a few weeks then change it up once I get bored.. it's easy and it works for me :)