want to start running, help plz

Options
I would like to get an app from my ipod/ipone. I looked up the C25K, but a bunch of stuff popped up. what have you all had the best success with, your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Alot of people had/ has success with C25K. Personally, I just got outside and started running/walking on my own. I have been running for over a year now, and my husband and I are going to be running the Disney Wine and Dine Half marathon relay October 2nd. If I can do this-TRUST...Runner's World has great programs on their website. It may be hard starting out, but you will be up and running in no time. I have found it to be easier running in the Fall and Winter so stick with it:) Do not start out doing to much, DO remember to stretch, and Do invest in great shoes.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I started small. Walking the dog, using stationary bike/elltipical. After about 4 months of that I decided to give running a try. My first run I was able to do 1 mile without stopping today I did 4miles. I haven't been running frequently because the days that it is super hot/humid I prefer to stay inside and use my bike or elliptical but that still build endurance.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I took a class that was a modified version of the C25K. I made it though, but was only able to run 2 miles (yeah, I've got a long way to go still). There is another class coming up sponsored by the Athlete's Foot here in town. I may do that one too. I've found that it really helps me TONS to have trainers and other people going through the same paces I am. I'm also a little better about not skipping things if they are 'scheduled'. Maybe there is something like that near you? Can’t hurt to look around.

Feel free to add me, I’ve love to see your progress as you work though it!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I love the C25K app for the iphone. The way it works is that it plays your own music but gives you cues when you should run and then walk again. I am on week 4 and really enjoying it. You can do it on the treadmill or outside.

Meant to add, the one I have is the $2.99 one with the little guy on a green background. Totally worth the $$ in my opinion.
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K. Just finished W3D3. I've downloaded DJ Beatsmith which has music and chimes telling you when to walk and run. I like it. There is another one called Ullrey. It makes it pretty easy. We have a Topic on the Message Board where some of us are posting. I think it's called Couch to 5K. Good luck!
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    I use Nike+. I have a sensor in my shoe that automatically syncs to my iPod Touch and I can set it to do specific runs/walks and I sometimes even set it when I go mall-hopping.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Put some music on and go out and run!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear this but......I recomend C25K.

...and I can do it without your phone. All you really need is a workout schedule and a stopwatch/timer.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of the C25K program, its a great way to start. At first i struggled to run for 60 seconds but can now run 28 mins without a break. The good thing with the C25K program is youcan see actual progress on a week by week basis.

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you just weren't able to find the actual website. Here is the link to the actual plan.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • sdraughan
    Options
    I used the Couch to a 5k plan too but there are many plans out there. I used the plan on the Cool Runnings Website:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I plotted out my route using this link:

http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/

My route was extended to a four mile track and I slowed my plan down so instead of it taking 10 weeks to run a 5k, it took 20 but I was running a solid 4 miles everyday. The plan says to not move faster then the schedule because some people feel that they can handle it, but the plan is right, it is the fastest way to burn yourself out. I really had to talk myself into just slowing it down. It was a daily self lecture, to slow down, and I still lecture myself about slowing down but in regards to other areas of life.