Ready to throw in the towel!

Options
I know I've not been at this long, but I'm ready to resign myself to staying fat!

I am fat because my body has pretty much been in starvation mode since my teens. I have never eaten more than one meal a day and, generally, no seconds. Frankly, I hate food!

Now I'm keeping track of food and excercise, eating 3 meals a day plus snacks and still have a huge deficit due to the excercise. My body is therefore, logically, still in starvation mode. I CAN'T eat enough!

So, I'm ready to quit!

I don't know what I expect here, I guess I'm just venting!

Good luck to the rest of you on your successful journey!

Replies

• nancyggg
    nancyggg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The only way you fail is by quitting. So do not give up! I dont know what you are eating but maybe I can help. Friend me and let me see your diary and I will try.

Keep at it!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I notice you don't have your diary public which is your choice but sometimes when your stuck it is helpful for people to see what you are eating and give suggestions, are you watching your sodium, that will crash and burn a diet, are you eating processed foods all the time?

But most of all you have to just take it easy. Don't look for a quick fix. Look to change the way you eat to a healthy diet, no pop, correct portions, exercise 3 times a week or more and maybe only go for a pound a week instead of 2. Sometimes if your not losing your not eating enough of the correct foods.

A spoonful of peanut butter if your way below calories tastes great. Avocado's are wonderful and have the right fat. And most of all do it for yourself.
  • nessaj
    nessaj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on this weight loss journey long enough to give you any advice, but I just wanted to give you hugs and say don't give up. You need to find something that will work for you. I'm sure there are lots of people on here that will know what to suggest but maybe it would be a good idea to speak to a GP or a nutritionist.

Add me as a friend if you want to chat.
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a former chef. I eat only whole, natural foods. Lots of fresh produce and, generalyl, very little fat. NOTHING processed EVER! Very rarely do I drink soda. I'm not allowed caffiene for medical reasons and I don't care for the overly sweet taste of soda.

I excercise twice a day and don't want to change that as I enjoy it, but it earns me an extra 1400 calories a day!

And I'm allergic to peanut butter and avocados, although I do occassionaly sneak an avocado into my diet. I just pay for it later and it COULD kill me.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD "THROW IN THE TOWEL" IS WHEN YOU ARE DOING LAUNDRY!!!

So, do not give up. If you do, you are giving up on YOU! And YOU deserve a better, healthier life. I also agree that if your diary were public (even just to friends), we could give you some help! Good luck, and make this journey about YOU!! YOU can do this! Don't you think we have all felt like giving up at one point or another? Absolutely! Just make sure your friends, and family rally around you!

AND DRINK ALL YOUR WATER!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You just joined! You can't expect overnight miracles.

I've been here for several months and continue fluctuating within the same 5 pounds. I haven't lost more than 4 at any given point in time... period. So believe me, I get the frustration. This is also a matter of trial an error. Stick with things for a month and if whatever you're doing isn't working, try something else. BTW - if you're not eating your exercise cals, its not the end of the world. See what happens if you *don't* try so hard to eat them all! if that doesn't work after a month, then up your cals by 200 for a month, and then another 100 a month after that.

Hell, if nothing else, you're getting in better health by changing your lifestyle. It's not just about the weight. The weight is the visible results we're looking for. But the important part comes in the results we can't see so readily: heart, lungs, muscles, oxygenation, nutrition, muscle mass..... and the list goes on.

I've had to start over several times for various reasons but I can't quite bring myself to give up. If you want it, if you're committed to it and to yourself, you'll find the strength to keep trying and you will eventually find the system that works best with your body.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about protein shakes? You didn't say, but I would suggest more meat if you are not a vegetarian. Also, you didn't say what you do for workouts, but maybe try doing the circuit weights where you do about 10 reps on each machine. You may still be in starvation mode, which is not good, but all of the muscles in your body screaming for energy will override the starvation.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am a former chef. I eat only whole, natural foods. Lots of fresh produce and, generalyl, very little fat. NOTHING processed EVER! Very rarely do I drink soda. I'm not allowed caffiene for medical reasons and I don't care for the overly sweet taste of soda.

I excercise twice a day and don't want to change that as I enjoy it, but it earns me an extra 1400 calories a day!

And I'm allergic to peanut butter and avocados, although I do occassionaly sneak an avocado into my diet. I just pay for it later and it COULD kill me.

If the above is true, I would recommend seeing the dr. to make sure there is nothing medically wrong. Could you have a thyroid problem? I see you are trying to lose 90 some pounds. Good luck and don't give up!! :D
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I was the same way!! Sometimes, I didn't even eat ONE meal a day. But I turned it around. And here's how:

Start small with baby steps.

Try to increase your calories a little at a time. For example, this week, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to your dinner or have an oz of almonds or a glass of whole milk....one of those things each day. That will bring you up between 100-200 calories a day for almost no food!

I didn't eat breakfast for 40 years, but last year, when I started this change, I began to do so. I mean, I hated food in the mornings, it made me queasy, I'd be starving after 2 hours (because I was eating the wrong foods) and frankly, I'd rather sleep. But I was determined and so, I got up 15 minutes earlier and got a variety of stuff to eat and forced myself to do it. Eggs, turkey bacon, granola, oatmeal with a pinch of brown sugar, buckwheat waffles, peanut butter & jelly on raisin bread....now I simply MUST have my breakfast within minutes of waking up. Now I feel more energetic and don't get the blood sugar crash I used to after I finally ate something (Usually lunch). Try it :)

Try making your meal (the one you say you eat) and then spreading that one meal out over the day (+ add a tiny bit to it to bring up closer to your calories).

Or, try easing back on the exercise while you get your food under control. Maybe instead of burning up 1000 calories a day, you could limit it to 500 for a while?

Good luck and please reconsider giving up. If you give up, you'll be exactly where you are now, but if you keep trying, you may very well find the magic that works for you!

If you want to be successful, you can't hang on to ALL of the things that aren't working...right?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

You are probably not losing weight partially due to the lack of fat in your eating plan. The whole, natural foods approach is good, but in order to burn fat you have to eat fat..............

And avocados will not kill you. It is natural vegetable.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

He said he was allergic!
  • desireebutts
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!! YOU ARE ONLY CHEATING YOURSELF! I understand you are frustrated and having a hard time. Try to eat small things throughout the day, instaed of sitting down to 2 or 3 big meals. Your little meals can be just as little as a protein shake (yes there are good ones), a banana and peanut butter, or a couple crackers... Please don't give up.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    You don't really want to give up or you would not have told all of us you MoMo. It will happen. Years of "starvation mode" does a number on your metabolism. Be patient and mfp is exactly where you want to vent because than you will be counter attacked!!!!! (with great love and care ofcourse!¨) p.s. sorry about the avacado allergy.:bigsmile:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I think that is BS and you should NOT give up.
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I suggest talking to a personal trainer or nutritionist. You need the help of a professional. Someone who can help you jump start your body. Try exercising once a day instead. You say you hate food (wow...I wish I could say that), but you need fuel for energy. Someone suggested protein shakes, which is a great idea! Just don't quit! Think about your health, because it's not all about losing weight, but being HEALTHY!
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I think a good strong support system really helps!
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    Well, as you've seen, you have some friends here that are willing to hang with you and help you through all of this. If you are working out and truly burning 1400 calories a day you will start losing weight, give it 30 days. My body is like yours...it goes through a period where it won't give up any fat for about 30 days, then I start seeing the fat coming off.

Measure yourself. If you don't feel like you're losing weight, you probably aren't, since you'll gain muscle for 30 to 60 days...a GOOD thing, but remember muscle is heavier than fat, so the scale isn't going to show results for about TWO MONTHS of consistent fat loss.

If you're losing one to two pounds a week you could easily be gaining that much muscle.

Like many of the others said, eat at or near your calorie limit (don't increase for the workout "deficit" i.e. 2000 calories a day is normal for most males around six feet tall, don't add 1000 calories and eat 3000 because you worked out) and keep working out at a maintainable rate. Try working out for ONE hour a day for six days a week and rest for one day. Remember, this is a LONG TERM life style change, it isn't going to be easy and it isn't going to happen quickly.

You are a better person for embarking on this great journey! Plan your milestones and don't try to lose the 90 pounds all at once. Set smaller goals to see your progress. From the classes I've taken on health and fitness I've been told losing ONE to TWO pounds a week is healthy and the weight stays off...not just water weight.

If you lose an average of 1.5 pounds a week over the course of a year you'll lose 78 pounds in 52 weeks, or one year.

I recommend setting a goal like 90 pounds in 18 months, or 30 pounds every six months.

You probably know this, but remember to weigh yourself only once a week and at the same time of day, with the same amount of clothes on and keep track of the weight here or somewhere. You have to write it down so you have accountability to yourself. Keeping a food log here on fitnesspal kept me eating pretty much at or below my calorie goal for the first six months...and I lost over 30 pounds!

Good luck and hang in there...you have all the support you need here to keep going, we'll all be cheering as you make progress in the coming weeks and months.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

He said he was allergic!

Oooops, didn't see the allergic part.
  • CelticDragon
    Options
    Thank you all! I guess I needed the pity party and the cheer leaders!

I don't intend to give up, it just seems I can't find the "magic formula" to eating enough. This isn't my first rodeo, but as most programs cater to those who overeat I've had a difficult time finding answers on how to do this right!

Thanks again!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    There are two thing for sure....
    1. If you quit trying, you will not reach your goal.
    2. Nobody else can do this for you but YOU.

Your life, your choices.
  • CelticDragon
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it's actually a fruit.