Any (beginner) runners out there?

Options
I'm willing to add just about anybody as a friend but I could use some more runners as friends! I'm still getting the hang of it, and while I'm satisfied with it, some days it's harder to get out there than others. If anybody has any helpful tips on how to further improve my running, I'd much appreciate it!

Replies

• lilalief
    lilalief Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I consider myself to be a beginner. I have asthma, which makes running very difficult and exhausting for me. However, when running regularly, it will lengthen my endurance :) Therefore, I started running about 1 week ago. I run for short amounts of time and I don't run 5K or anything, just starting :) Feel free to add me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 7 weeks (took a few weeks off in the middle though because of bad weather). on good days I can run 5k without stopping but I'm inconsistent. I have my first 5k race on sunday and hope it's a good day. I am dealing with calf and foot issues that only happen from running (I do step aerobics and other cardio every day with no problems)
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Congrats to both of you for starting! Those first few runs really are the hardest.

I speak from an incredibly limited amount of experience. I started running last year but stopped over the winter and now I'm building it up again.

I do not enjoy running, the only reason I got into it (other than to be healthy) was because both me and my boyfriend we using the 'Ease to 5K' app and it became a bit of a competition. I'd recommend the App - it makes the whole process so less daunting!

These days I still do not enjoy running but I love the way I feel afterwards so I'm making an effort to run, at the very least, once a week.
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner. Ran my first 5k on Saturday. I have a long way to go but its quite addictive
  • PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a semi beginner haha! I did the couch to 5k running plan (which I have long finished) and over the summer I am just sort of free running.
    This next school semester I plan to start a 10k running plan and I am excited!

When I began I was 200lbs and ran out of breath like instantly so you can become a runner and it's great once you start to enjoy it.
    Feel free to add me if you like (that goes for anyone else as well pretty much haha)
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm a most definite beginning. I'm on week 4 of C25K, and this is literally the first time I've ever run willingly in my life. I'm signed up for two 5K runs this fall and may do some sooner, depending on how the training goes. I'd love to be friends with other beginners.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    *waves*

I haven't run since forced cross country in grade school. I'm 41 now, so that was a LONG time ago.

I'm in Week 2 of C25K, and am still enduring the run. I hope to get to the point where I enjoy it and crave it, like I do with hockey.

My goal is to complete a Try-a-Tri this August. 375 meter swim, 10K bicycle, 2.5K run. I'm also considering a Fall 5K, but haven't picked one yet. If all goes well with this year's Tri, I want to move up to a Sprint Tri in future years.

Feel free to add me!
  • maydays0508
    maydays0508 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Very new runner. I've tried in the past and haven't been able to turn it into a lifestyle change, but this type it appears to be sticking! I'm starting to enjoy it.

I started out very slow. I used the C25K app, beginning in mid-March. Now I use Map My Run and am up to 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week!

Still waiting for meaningful weight loss changes, but my clothes all fit better :)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    OK, all you new runners, two suggestions:

1. Go to a locally owned running shoe store and support them; they probably have training groups going out at various times of the day/week, at different levels of ability from absolute beginner to tri-athelete. They can also make sure your shoes are right, which will save you a lot of grief down the road; this is their job and they depend on repeat business from local runners. You can also pick up race flyers and learn about different races in your area.

2. The store will be able to put you in touch with your local running club which is a great way to meet other runners of all ages/abilities. If group running/racing is not your thing, maybe you can pick up a running partner by going to a few club races. Consider joining.

No, I don't run. I've never run. My daughter started with a race at her elementary school at 7 and has been running ever since; she came up through the youth section of our local club, became a coach in h.s. and is now in college in part on a running scholarship from the club.

Good Luck!!!!
  • symplestytches
    symplestytches Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    very beginner runner. as with some others that posted, I have mild asthma, and hate running. in my house it's just me that exercises, so no one to run with which is fine with me, I'm too slow for most people anyway =). started running last week, so right now it's more of a jog/walk, where I jog for about 60% of the time and walk fast to get a breather the other 40%. it's a jogalk!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am new to the sport of running. I quit smoking less than two months ago and took up running. I signed up for a 12+ mile challenge in September. I have never run more than three miles. My current training program is couch to 10K. I will be running in my first 5k in June.
  • Erinejo13
    Erinejo13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all...
    I am a beginner.... I am on week 2 of the Couch to 5K program.
    I hope to run my first 5K in October for the Susan G Komen Race for the cure......

Good Luck everyone!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a beginner!
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself a beginner. I ran my first 5k a couple of months ago. Training for a sprint triathalon now (need a LOT of work). C25K was a huge help for me! Doing the program and going back and redoing days when I didn't get it all the way in was very helpful. Running was something I used to hate...now it is a great day when I can go out and run and leave my stress, worries, and cares behind...if only for a short time. Good luck to all of you running!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k about 4 weeks ago. I am working on increasing my endurance now. My longest run was this past Friday (38 minutes). Anyone can feel free to add me! :smile:
  • LLStover09
    LLStover09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd love a little help too!
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    PS - Shoes...shoes are HUGE as well! And those socks with the padding...those are pretty awesome as well! :)
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've got my distance PR up to 4 miles even now (not bothering with speed right now). I'll be done with Insanity next weekend, then plan on picking up running again to see how much I can improve my distance by end of summer:glasses:
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just started running in March, ran my first 5K in April and have another one coming up on Friday. Feel free to add me. :) I don't have enough experience to give out good tips, but I know that strengthening my legs, even if it's just through bodyweight exercises, have really helped with my pace, as well as taking deeper breaths.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hey I started running about 8 weeks with C25K, I'll be doing a 5K this Saturday. I started out on the treadmill at the gym, but 3 weeks ago I got a jogging stroller so now I run outdoors and love it. I can do 2.5miles in 30mins not quite at the 3 mile mark yet. Feel free to add me, I also lift.