Need advice about outgrown clothes

Options
ktsmom430
ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
It has been a cloudy, cold, rainy weekend. I am going through clothes I have outgrown. I packed somethings away months ago, but just can not seem to take them to Goodwill. I did not buy any smaller sizes until last September, Labor Day weekend. I was using a belt to keep them from falling off. I still remember how thrilled I was to actually be able to shop in the regular size department instead of plus sizes. Since then, I have gone through size 18 to size 8. I am very happy to be where I am, but, I am reluctant to get rid of the bigger sizes. I guess I am scared that I will need those bigger sizes, and reluctant to get rid of them.

How have others handled this?

Replies

• themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    maybe just keep the things that you really, really loved or that you feel you have an attachment to. the things that were just utilitarian, everyday sorts of things you could donate to your local women's shelter.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them now. Sell or donate them - it doesn't matter. You don't ever plan on going back there, do you?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Just get rid of them. Tell yourself that you WILL NOT need them, ever again, and make sure that you don't.
    Maybe someone was in a size 22 and is looking for some nice size 18 clothes. Wouldn't it be nice if they came across your stuff and snatched it up from Goodwill?

I kept one pair of jeans. I want to do that "look at how big I was!" thing... lol I'll never wear them again, nor will I ever need to buy that big again. I sold the rest of my clothes.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've been going through clothes also. I'm keeping one pair of pants and one top from my highest weight but everything else is being donated. I hear you about being scared you'll need those bigger sizes again - I think when you lose a lot of weight it's as much of a mental change as it is a physical one.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have sent all mine to charity shops or the rubbish dump. After the struggle to get rid of the weight there is no way I am ever going to go back up again. You have lost 148lbs, I doubt you will either.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of both...took some to GoodWill, Salvation Army, etc. but kept some that were favorites, just in case. After almost a year I packed up and donated the remaining items since I've maintained (and even lost more) this time. I finally felt like this was my time to succeed rather than go backwards and the feeling was really great! You'll know when you're ready. Don't add extra stress until you're ready.
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your 2 largest size clothes, you don't need them. You need to change your thought attitude, you will always be on the "diet" for the rest of your life but you have learnt how to eat healthy now. I got rid of all my big clothes I never want to go back there!!! Good luck with the choice you decide on :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just get rid of them. Tell yourself that you WILL NOT need them, ever again, and make sure that you don't.
    Maybe someone was in a size 22 and is looking for some nice size 18 clothes. Wouldn't it be nice if they came across your stuff and snatched it up from Goodwill?

I kept one pair of jeans. I want to do that "look at how big I was!" thing... lol I'll never wear them again, nor will I ever need to buy that big again. I sold the rest of my clothes.
    :heart:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I kept one pair of pants from the largest I was, for comparison later.

The rest - I only keep one size up from where I am now. (I haven't bought a lot of 'in between clothes'). I know I can still wear them if I'm slow with laundry. Everything else - gone.

If there's something you really love though, and would continue to wear if it fit - consider taking it to a tailor to have it reworked to fit you again.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Try bring to a place that resells them, you might make some money.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them.

Even if by some chance you do eventually go up a size, which wouldn't be the end of the world, you don't want to wear clothes that are years out of date anyway.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    By packing them up and giving them away and not looking back. If you want to keep one pair of pants or a dress or top ... just as a visual for where you use to be; there is no reason to keep clothes that might be useful to someone else. Enjoy the present, the beautiful size 8 .. and look towards your beautiful, healthy future.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you have family or friends that wear any of those bigger sizes? I sent mine off to family and they had fun picking out clothes from my "grab bags". They sent the rest back to me to give to anyone else who could use them. It feels good to share with others:)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT!! CLean that closet and donate. Yes, it can be scary but there is not going back. You will never be that size again. YOu've lived, you've learned, you've made the change, now go live and love your new body. Dress it up a little. Hell, while you're making a donation, see what they have in your new size. Buying new clothes can be expensive. I'm going through it now. I find so many cute things in the second hand shops. :)
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Women's shelters desperatly need larger sizes some women left abusive situations with nothing. Many organizations have job training and request business attire for women to interview in. You have changed your life give other women a chance to change theirs. Think of your donation as a gift of thanks for your health. Congratulations on your amazing transformation.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Why don't you have a yard sale/garage sale & sell some of the better garments that could give you some money to buy newer clothes. You could also donate your clothes to local thrift stores, churches, consignment stores (moneymaker), & people you know who may need some new to them clothes.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Absolutely don't keep anything that doesn't fit and doesn't look great and doesn't make you feel beautiful. That being said, I am trying to become a Project 333 guru. (google it) Not giving any of my jewerly, though.

If you have ever seen the show "Clean House" Niecy Nash only allowed one size up and one size down. And only clothes that needed no alterations and fit in your closet.

I am finding the less I have, the more I wear what I have.

I gave all my clothes bigger than a size 8 away. I wear 6's and 8's... my hanging clothes for work and business casual fit in a 4 ft wide x 8 ft tall x 2 foot deep closet space. That doesn't include coats and ski clothes I wear on vacations to snowy places.

Congrats and best of luck with your new wardrobe and selling/giving away/trashing your old clothes.
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Donate them knowing that somewhere is a woman who worked really hard to go from a size 24 to an 18 and will be thrilled to find your lovely donations at a price she can afford. Congrats on all your hard work.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them, you have lost so much weight that I don't think you will need them!
    Get a fresh start without them being in the back of your mind. You don't want to mess with your mind.