Going to Failure

Options
fShaw86
fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
Thoughts? Came across a few interesting and fun looking workouts that suggested this "reps until failure" thing. It looks like I'll kill my muscles, but I have no clue.

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you read New Rules of Lifting, or You Are Your Own Gym, you might get a better idea of the why and why not's of that suggestion.

Not sure of the exact definition, but it's better to stop while you still have good form (IE the last rep you think you can still do with proper form) than trying to give it that little bit of extra, just so you can break down mid rep and injure yourself....
  • MarshallCroft
    Options
    I like Reps to Failure to change things up. Arnold S. discusses it a little in his encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding. Sometimes he didn't start counting reps until he started feeling a burn. So:

- Dad did it
    - Arnie did it
    - Aaaaaand it works pretty well for me to.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    The coach at the boot camp class I attend says it's better to take a break when you are still in good form, and then go back into it again after taking a brief rest. He said if you keep trying to do something when you can't hold the form any more it can cause injury.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I consider 'failure' as the point where I can't perform the movement in good form, not the point where I simply can't do it anymore. If I can't do it right, it doesn't count.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I think I'll try it to see what happens lol. Probably will go for the last rep possible with good form as most of you guys mentioned!

LOL at the Arnie thing!