How much do you walk?

Options
daltem
daltem Posts: 138 Member
I'm walking about 5 miles total each day. I'd like to up that total. What's the most the most you walk daily and do you walk once or more? Take days off, etc? Just curious.

Replies

• johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I try to get in at least 7 miles per day for an average but try for 10 per day. Sometimes with work and other things it is hard to always get 10 in. The last few weeks I have been able to average 11 a day.

I usually have at least one walk that is between 4 and 6 miles per day. I usually take 2 to 3 walks a day. I don't really take a day off but there are days with travel or where things are really busy where I may only get 4 or 5 miles for the entire day. I have some issues with my legs and will lighten up when I have certain kinds of pain to make sure I do not overdue it.

Since I am not allowed to run walking is my main form of cardio health,
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I break it up but I try to walk 5 miles a day at least. I would love to get it up to 10 miles per day.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and vary between about 3 miles a day on a chill day and 7.5 on a day I do lots of cardio or spend a lot of time out with family/friends.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Wow; I struggle to get 3 miles a day. I'm afraid I'll break if I try to do more! I've been sedentary for five years, then started walking my 3 a day in early April, and am now doing the C25K. Not losing much weight, though, so should probably do more.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My fitbit weekly goal is 50 miles, but I don't always reach it. My step goal is 12,500 per day, which on average I hit every day, but due to work, I sometimes only get 6,000 and other times get nearly 20,000.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My main exercise is at the gym and doing classes, but I also walk a lot, more than I probably realise. I've got 2 young kids and work part time so spend a lot of hours chasing them up and down the seafront on their scooters. We don't tend to use the car when we go out so walk to the station, walk around town, to the park etc. it all adds up.
  • wanderer2222
    Options
    I use Body Media, so I try to make my minimum goal of 8,000 steps each day. A pedometer or other device might help if you're trying to count how far you walk in a day?
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Well, looking back through my fitbit, I do between 3-4 miles a day. But I am at the stage of a project which requires a lot of computer work, so maybe up to 5 miles on a good day? It's only really walking to the train station and to uni and back where I get daily exercise.
  • HereCOMESErika
    HereCOMESErika Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I need to start tracking again!!!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I power walk (average 13:30 pace) 30-40 miles a week. I have no idea how much other walking I do, probably a couple miles a day walking the dogs and another couple miles a day just with life in general.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I walk from 7:30 in the morning till 2:30 in the afternoon, only sitting down to do paperwork.....

Apparently my job dosnt count as exercise though :grumble:
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    5 miles. 5 to 6 days a week
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I used to use the Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk (12-13min miles) 3-4 days a week and will start it up again tomorow if possible. My plan is to use it 4 days a week when I get down to my ideal weight as I was losing 1.5lbs a week when I did 5 days a week a few months back.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I measure my walking by time and pace, I am a fast walker by nature and get in at least an hour a day if not 2-3 hours per day. I walk about as fast as many jog which is about 4mph.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    How do you all find the time to do all that walking? I suppose some of you have a treadmill at home and can multi-task your walking with your tv watching, but sheesh! That's a lot of walking.

I walk pretty fast, but I can only get the time for about 3-4 miles in a day, and the occasional 6-8 mile treks once or twice a week. I use a GPS tool to calculate my mileage. I only walk outdoors (I have a very active dog who needs lots of exercise). I never count daily activity as "exercise" because I feel like that is cheating.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do yo guys get all of these miles in? I'm a runner and the only time I get 5 miles is when I run them! I guess I'm just pretty sedentary besides my runs. I'd definitely like to up that number if anyone has any suggestions.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    wow you guys walk a lot... I don't think I have time to be walking 5 miles every day...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I try to get in at least 7 miles per day for an average but try for 10 per day. Sometimes with work and other things it is hard to always get 10 in. The last few weeks I have been able to average 11 a day.

I usually have at least one walk that is between 4 and 6 miles per day. I usually take 2 to 3 walks a day. I don't really take a day off but there are days with travel or where things are really busy where I may only get 4 or 5 miles for the entire day. I have some issues with my legs and will lighten up when I have certain kinds of pain to make sure I do not overdue it.

Since I am not allowed to run walking is my main form of cardio health,

For a fun, no impact exercise, you may want to try cycling. :smile:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    if its nice weather than maybe around 5-6 miles, if its terrible, like it usually is in the uk, no more than 2 or 3 or even none some days.
    however i have knee problems so normally it hurts if i walk/run/stand a lot
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I walk/take transit everywhere I go but I definitely shoot for at least 3 hours of walking just for the exercise per week.