Do your family/friends find your diet annoying?

Options

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Well I just started on Wed, but some have, they said I'm less happy, or I'm acting like a B*tch. :( I think its just not having all the junkfood in my body. I used to eat a ton, so it's been hard eating healthier foods. But I don't care, I have to do this for me, and it's going to pay off.

Once you go 90 days without junk/fast food, you will be amazed at how you don't even want to smell it. Or I was amazed at how I didn't...
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they think it's annoying but yesterday we had a cookout with my parents and she made a ton of food I didn't want to eat. Sure, I could have just had small helpings of things but I didn't want to. My mom made the comment, I don't know what you eat anymore. I mean, I still eat food, lol, just not unhealthy food. I don't know if she took offense and honestly I didn't care. She is overweight herself and I don't want to be her when I am her age. If she wants to eat that way, there is nothing I can do about it BUT I can control what I eat and what I don't eat. I don't think I should be given a hard time for being healthy. I don't let it bother me. I am gaining so much more, and not extra weight!

My mom and I also got into it over her food choices for memorial day! She made potato salad (one of my favorites) but instead of asking me to go to the store to get low fat mayo, she just chose to use the full fat stuff she already had. She brushed it off as not being a big deal, and that I could just "eat less of it". Now, she's correct, but I have trouble eating just a little bit of my favorite foods. She was really mad when I didn't eat any of it. Oh well, her problem. I'm not going to make myself fat so someone else can be happy.

I also had a fight with my friends a few months ago when they chose to go to this barbeque place for a big reunion type dinner. I'm a vegetarian, there is literally nothing there I could eat and even if there was would be deep fried! I chose not to go, and met up with them later for a movie. I still haven't heard the end of it, but I don't care. I'm happy with my choice.

I think people don't realize that losing weight is a journey, and every choice you make has consequences. Sure you can splurge every now and then, but if you eat the way you've always eaten, you will weigh what you always weighed. Don't stress it OP. Eventually they will come to you for insight on healthy eating (trust me, I think at some point all of my friends and family have asked me about calories, vegetable, workouts, etc.) Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually you can be an example to those people in your life.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    No, They don't care. I don't bring it up though which is probably why... and I also never ask "oh how many calories is it?"

My one brother makes comments about the vegetables because they are not his favorite thing in the world and I always come back with something smartassed.

I don't add friends or family to MFP, I don't even tell them about it because this is a personal thing for me and the last thing I need is for one of them to talk none stop about it.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Last year my mother made a lifestyle change and went on a vegan diet. She stopped going to "yummy restaurants" stopped keeping bacon and meat in the house, and for the love of god there was never any milk other than almond milk -.-. I realized that sometimes I would say things to her like " Eww why are you eating that?" or "Mom it looks like your sandwich is a garden, it looks disgusting!" now at the end of the year she is down almost 90 pounds and her body is BANGIN.

In a sad moment of realization it came to me that ... I am the bad guy... Instead of encouraging her, I questioned her. Instead of telling her how proud I am of her, I chose not to eat dinner at her house with her "yucky vegan food". One day we went shopping together and we were giggling and trying on dresses, I realized that my 52 year old mother looked 100 times better in one of the dresses than i did. She was wearing size 10 pants when I was wearing 16's. I told her that day that I was tired of looking the way i did and I wanted to change my life. She said " Okay, we can do this together" And now I eat at her house all the time, she tells me about great recipes which are ..who knew... very yummy lol and she is there for me and supportive. Even my younger brother is supporting me and is acting as my personal trainer. He spends two hours of his time 5 days a week to kick my butt into shape and it's working! I am so lucky to have a family who supports me and wants what's best for me. I apologized to my mom by baking her a low fat vegan cake.I must admit, it was the best tasting cake i ever had.

Wow, this is just about the best thing I've read in a very long time. Thank you for being so honest. :)
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    YES. Mostly from siblings and other family. They do it more in a snide remark, trying to be funny way. It's slowed down a lot now, though, that they see it is not a fad and something that is important to me. I've found, though, that most of the people are doing it because they are insecure with their own choices. It makes them look at themselves.

This is very true!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's frustrating because I NEVER talk about what I eat or try to get them to eat like me. They just make snide comments based on watching what I eat.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, and wrote the book. Keep doing what you are doing - that's all you can do.

My friends pick the most gawd awful restaurants to eat at too - in fact they want to go out for fried chicken wings tonight. That's all fine and dandy as normally I would pick something else on the menu, if it were a normal restaurant. However, at this place, that is pretty much all they have, unless I just want to eat only a side salad.

I wouldn't mind eating something higher calorie, but it has to be absolutely wonderful tasting, and fried chicken wings DO NOT fall under that category... lol

I have to agree with this! If I am going to indulge it has to be something I really enjoy!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,629 Member
    Options
    With BBQ's, one thing I have started doing is asking if vegetables will be grilled, and if not, can I bring some zucchini and squash.for the grill. If you brush both sides with olive oil and add some seasonings (love Penzeys Mural of Flavor on veggies and eggs), and it tastes awesome. You can do the same with Kabobs and slice them and put them on in between onions and peppers, it tastes so good.

My Mom's becoming famous for her BBQ'ed artichokes, where she slices them in half, brushes them with olive oil and garlic with some salt and pepper, and lets them sit for at least half a day prior to grilling. She made them for Bunco at my house once when i used to play with my neighbors and they still remember them to this day! She makes them for appetizers, and luckily, most of us love artichokes. Instead of having just a half, I'll take a second for dinner to take the place of foods I can't eat.

The time's my Dad's birthday/Father's Day or even when he makes the choices, as it's always burgers, corn, and potato salad with hopefully carrot cake for dessert. That's one of his fav. meals. We finally got him off of iceberg lettuce salads, but frankly, we all need to be watching our weight and that isn't the best thing for him to have either! I think one of the tougher struggles now is making certain foods the kids love, ones that I love too but can't eat, and staying away from it. My SIL and brother brought Yonanas the last BBQ, where you make "ice cream" out of bananas and another fruit. The banana raises sugar levels, but nowhere as much as cake would!

I also think counting the calories can be seen as obsessive despite it just being part of what we're doing, but the more we lose weight, hopefully the more people will back off. I've written down everything I've had at each BBQ, party, or get-together to log later, and try to do it privately unless I have to ask questions. My parents have been following an Atkin's-type diet and have done well on it, and I can't eat half of what they eat or my calories would be through the roof! I think they get it since they're trying to be careful too, but again, it's the parties where things aren't as easy because we go out to places where if the kids are loud, it won't be noticed, and those places aren't always the healthiest of places. It did seem the tougher restaurants were chosen once I started dieting, and though I had to only eat breakfast first, I managed to find calorie counts ahead of time.

I wish I had the answers, but think it depends on the person why they act a certain way. I know when my parents were losing a lot of weight I was supportive, but also felt guilty since I should've been doing the same. Others may miss just being able to pig out with us, who knows.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah. Everybody in my family and most of my friends are overweight. So, when we go out and i get soup, or refuse dessert, i get the eye rolling, the sighs, and the comments. And i guess i should feel bad, but when they're down sick and i'm out running, or they have to go to 3 stores to find jeans that fit, when i'm better dressed and shop at Goodwill, i think of all that garbage they kept shoving into my face that i refused to eat...

and i smile...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Last year my mother made a lifestyle change and went on a vegan diet. She stopped going to "yummy restaurants" stopped keeping bacon and meat in the house, and for the love of god there was never any milk other than almond milk -.-. I realized that sometimes I would say things to her like " Eww why are you eating that?" or "Mom it looks like your sandwich is a garden, it looks disgusting!" now at the end of the year she is down almost 90 pounds and her body is BANGIN.

In a sad moment of realization it came to me that ... I am the bad guy... Instead of encouraging her, I questioned her. Instead of telling her how proud I am of her, I chose not to eat dinner at her house with her "yucky vegan food". One day we went shopping together and we were giggling and trying on dresses, I realized that my 52 year old mother looked 100 times better in one of the dresses than i did. She was wearing size 10 pants when I was wearing 16's. I told her that day that I was tired of looking the way i did and I wanted to change my life. She said " Okay, we can do this together" And now I eat at her house all the time, she tells me about great recipes which are ..who knew... very yummy lol and she is there for me and supportive. Even my younger brother is supporting me and is acting as my personal trainer. He spends two hours of his time 5 days a week to kick my butt into shape and it's working! I am so lucky to have a family who supports me and wants what's best for me. I apologized to my mom by baking her a low fat vegan cake.I must admit, it was the best tasting cake i ever had.

Yep. And you'll run into a LOT of judgmental people on MFP who scoff at people that cut out milk or meat or whatever. They'll say everything in moderation, or that certain fats aren't unhealthy. But the fact of the matter is, what works for one person might not work for another. Your mom's diet, as restrictive as it might be, has clearly worked wonders for her! I'm learning more and more to keep an open mind, just by hearing these kinds of stories. Thanks for sharing!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My husband used to find it silly when I measured and weighed food. He was ok with it though. However, since I have been losing a visible amount of weight, I see he bases his portion sizes on what I put on my dinner plate.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get snide remarks.

Just yesterday at my mom's house, when I only had a small serving of plain vanilla ice cream instead of giant hot fudge sundaes like everyone else, my sister shoved a handful of pecans in her mouth and chomped on them in my face, rolling her eyes and moaning in delight very deliberately. She meant it to be funny, but it was pretty annoying. I laughed though. If she knew I found it obnoxious she would just do it more often.

"Just wait til our family vacation in six weeks," I thought, when she and everyone else sees me rock a teeny bikini at the pool with my toddler on my hip. Who''ll be laughing then? :wink:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't understand some people. A lot of times people around me talk like having a healthy diet is a bad thing. There is nothing wrong and everything right with eating a healthy, well balanced diet.

I definitely get a lot of crap from my boyfriend, daughter and family for being a vegetarian. I haven't eaten meat for the past 18 years...you'd think they would be used to it by now.
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    Oh yes but they're getting used to it. Every time my mum comments on me eating healthy or laughs at me for weighing my food I just tell her I wouldn't be as slim as I am if I didn't. That usually shuts her up! Haha
  • MeganCamm8077
    Options
    SO ANNOYING. My mum always sighs and rolls her eyes when i say i'm going to work out. She cannot seem to see the difference between being obsessed and simply being aware of what i'm eating and my activity
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    They used to, but now they've got used it. :) It's only my diet that's changed and that I'm more active. It doesn't affect any of their meals or health, so they don't need to comment on it anyway. :)
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel I'm lucky to have a supportive family and friends. My mum got diabetes a couple of years ago and her and my dad has made a lifestyle change too. My husband also supports me, even if he sometimes tells me if I'm getting a bit neurotic about my food. But he's in for the lifestyle change we're making for both of us and our kids, even if he doesn't need to loose weight. But I think he sees that this is important to his kids health in the long run, since his little brothers who are still kids are very overweight and we see that this is not good for their health or ability to be active and one of them had to change school after being bullied a lot.

The thing I'm dreading is when we are going to visit my husbands family in the summer and are staying for a whole week. They own a restaurant so we will be eating out a lot and they make very bad food choices overall. I think I have to bring a lot of food for myself and hope they won't be offended. Because they never have any fruits except bananas and don't eat much veggies. Sometimes I have to laugh inside when they prepare a vey high calorie meal and then have ketchup with no added sugar on top. And after the meal then have several pieces of brownies each. Luckely we don't spend too much time in their house since they don't live close to us.
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is supportive but my family & some of my friends keep accusing me of having an eating disorder rather than being on a diet. I so don't have an eating disorder though, I'm just trying to lose the extra weight. :P
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ignore. They are jealous.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Get it all the time, dad is convinced I'm developing an eating disorder. And sister thinks I'm setting myself up for failure by not having cheat days. err actually cheat days will mess with my physhe ( did the research, personal decision based on state of mind)