PASTA - how can I make it into a meal?

Options
kimbyfly
kimbyfly Posts: 45 Member
I have pasta... loads of it. How can I make it into healthy meals? I have tinned veggies, baked beans, tinned potatoes, cheese sauce, tomato sauce jar, oxo cubes, and tinned chopped tomatoes. I also have rice aswell.

Replies

• mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with spinach and a lite alfredo sauce and chicken breast. Good source of fiber and protein and even my little ones love it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Go to the store and buy some fresh or frozen veggies like broccoli, carrots, onions, mushrooms, etc. Mix lots of veggies with grilled chicken breast and a light sauce, and go easy on the pasta. Top it with a little mozzarella and Parmesan if you like.
  • kimbyfly
    kimbyfly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I should probably add that I cannot afford anything else atm :(
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tinned veggies, tinned tomatoes 35g of pasta lush meal
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Tinned chopped tomatoes with a sprinkling of chilli flakes and simmer until thickened :)
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You could mix it with cheese sauce like macaroni cheese and have it vith veg.
    Fry veg, add an oxo cube for flavour and add chopped tomatoes or the tomato sauce and have this with pasta. You could also layer the veg and tomatoe sauce with the cheese sauce and layers of pasta to make a sort of lasagne if you wanted. :)
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Do you have friends in the same situation? This happened to me once in college, we ended up getting pasta, sausages, hamburger meat, tomatoes, vegetables, etc. and made ourselves a huge stew that we split up and were able to use for a couple meals.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Pasta bake :)

Loads of simple easy recipes online
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    pasta with veggies and tomatoes ,add oxo cube to the water for some flavor. pasta with veggies and sauce or just pasta with sauce. pasta with cheese sauce to make like a mac and cheese.

non pasta dishes :
    slice and fry the potatoes and eat with baked beans. maybe add a little cheese sauce.
    rice with veggies, tomatoes, again add oxo cube to water for more flavor.

also try a site like allrecipes.com where u can input the ingredients you have

hope this helps
  • Ruthie1396
    Ruthie1396 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I was a student I used to cook rice, heat up baked beans, adding something spicy like chilli powder pile the beans onto the rice. It was OK not exactly exciting, but edible! You could do the same with the some of the tinned tomatoes, and put it onto the pasta.

And I agree, a bit of stock cube in the pasta water can make a difference too.

ps if you have any booze like red wine sitting about not being used (unlikely I know) try shoving a bit of that tipped into the tomatoes for pasta sauce (simmer it for a bit) or even better just use the wine to help dinner go down!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Pasta is kinda vague but

Simple pasta primavera with your tinned veggies

Bucatini carbonara

Cannelloni

Stuffed shells
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I would mix the pasta with the tinned vegetables and cheese sauce.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Pasta isn't exactly "unhealthy" anyway, so just mix it with your favorite veggies, reduced sodium sauces (I make my own sometimes) and chop up some healthy sources of protein (sometimes I use chicken, sometimes beef, etc.). Experiment and have fun!
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    How many meals do you need to make out of those supplies? Do you have other ingredients (herbs, spices, oil, vinegar)?
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Any dried herbs? Garlic? You can saute1/4 tsp of oregano and 1 garlic clove for three minutes over medium high heat and then add 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/2 cup veggies and 1/4 cup sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Add to al dente pasta. You can probably make several meals out the tins by measuring out 1/2 cups and freezing them for later use.

Also, if you can afford mushrooms and onion, you can saute them to bulk up your pasta sauce! You don't even need meat!
  • amyprzyby
    amyprzyby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like to make angel hair pasta, mix a tablespoon of I Can't Believe it's Not Butter in, 2 table spoons grated cheese, add some veggies [mushrooms, olives, broccoli for me!] and enjoy!