Can't handle this anymore

Options
I've been doing everything right. I've eaten healthy all week and then today I had quite a binge but I was still at around 2600, so I should still be at a deficit for the past week. Can someone look at my diet and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I also don't put in my exercise, since my setting is on active, but I lift 3 days a week with a trainer (I am a D1 athlete) and I also run two days a week which burns 400+ calories. I just weighed myself this morning and was 162. I'm now 169. I haven't weighed this much in a long time, and I'm really distraught. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I ate all those calories from 7 am til 3 pm so maybe that's why my weight sky rocketed? Just don't get it

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh yourself at the same time each day and you need to look at it over time, not an eighth our period. Forget about the binge, stick with the program and weigh yourself again next week... First thing in the morning.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't think that its possible to actually put any fat on that quickly (ie: this morning to today as you stated in your post) I believe that its just water weight and anything that your body hasn't been able to *ahem...get rid of yet. Don't worry so much.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates a lot.
    after a cheat day, my weight goes up 1-3 lbs but it comes off really fast. like within a few days.
    plus starting a new exercise tends to keep water in as well, or something like that.

just give it time.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Everyone weighs less in the morning and your weight fluctuates throughout the day. Not only that, but it fluctuates throughout the week. Try to stick to weighing yourself once every week at the same time of day. Binges sometimes happen, but you tracked it and move forward from here.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well, In looking at your food diary for several days, I don't notice you eating veggies. Ever eat salads? Raw veggies or much fruit? I do notice lots of cereal and oatmeal. Try adding more natural things to your diet, like veggies and fruits.
  • lb628
    lb628 Posts: 75
    Options
    It's just hard because I put on weight after Christmas after being at my goal weight. I've been trying so hard ever since to get back down to 155, and it seems like all I've had is time - this entire semester! Granted I've put on 3 lbs of muscle so that's good..but it's just so frustrating to have felt so good about myself and then to have lost it...And what's worse is before it happened I knew it was coming and was trying so hard to prevent it. If I could just get back down to 150-155, I feel like can eat normal again...Is it harder to lose weight after you've gained weight you've lost?
  • lb628
    Options
    I love my veggies and fruits - they just aren't as practical in a dorm room with only a microwave :( Microwave veggies aren't the same! Any suggestions on healthy dorm room foods?
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    sorry but i live on microwave veg. its like steam veg its healthy
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    raw fruits/veggies.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ..., I feel like can eat normal again...Is it harder to lose weight after you've gained weight you've lost?

I could be wrong, but I don't think your fat cells know if they are newly plumped up cells or old ones. I think it is more or less a process that isn't working for you. Perhaps one of the posts from above, that mentioned eating more veggies and fruits, is correct. Not because it is a"healthier" food for you, but perhaps your body does not like too many carbs in the form of grains but may tolerate the carbs naturally found in the fruits and veggies. Just a thought.
  • eabaker
    eabaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's just hard because I put on weight after Christmas after being at my goal weight. I've been trying so hard ever since to get back down to 155, and it seems like all I've had is time - this entire semester! Granted I've put on 3 lbs of muscle so that's good..but it's just so frustrating to have felt so good about myself and then to have lost it...And what's worse is before it happened I knew it was coming and was trying so hard to prevent it. If I could just get back down to 150-155, I feel like can eat normal again...Is it harder to lose weight after you've gained weight you've lost?

Speaking from my own experience, no. I had gained back 5 lbs and am now back on track logging (meaning being more careful of what I eat) and exercising. My daughter was able to lose weight on College Cafeteria Food. She even found an internet link that listed all of the foods nutrition info. I know it wasn't easy for her, but she managed (she had her "bad days" too). Good luck!
  • eabaker
    eabaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my veggies and fruits - they just aren't as practical in a dorm room with only a microwave :( Microwave veggies aren't the same! Any suggestions on healthy dorm room foods?

Get a blender and make fruit smoothies. Search the web for good recipes. Skinnytaste.com is amazing. I also agree with the poster who recommended microwaving your veggies. Don't limit yourself to the packages that read "microwaveable" as you can microwave any vegetable, fresh or frozen. Just be sure to have a food cover that holds in the steam and you're good.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    As others have said... weight fluctuates. I've seen a more than 5 lb variation within a day. And one binge will not affect long term weight. So, you need to figure out what you can eat healthily long-term.

A first stab at healthy dorm room food... (You didn't say if you have a mini-fridge, anyway to heat it, like a toaster oven, or what kind of access you have to grocery stores.)
    * fresh fruit that keeps well at room temp: apples, pears, oranges, tangerines, bananas
    * wasabi peas
    * dried fruit: pineapple, prunes, dates (a bit sugar dense, but good in small quantities)
    * carrots, celery, tomatoes, bell peppers (crudite, if you have a mini-fridge, some dressing, dip or avocado is a nice addition)
    * trail mix: nuts, whole grains and fruit
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you get into a yo-yo pattern, you can mess up your metabolism making it harder to lose the weight.

With a microwave... steam the vegetables as someone suggested. Some vegetables that work well for this are asparagus, green beans, zucchini or other squashes (cut them up first), corn on the cob (without a steamer just put them on a micro safe plate with a small amount of water and turn or stir a few times before they're done). Some grocery store vegetable departments will even sell cut up and prepared vegetables. Some frozen brands sell individually packaged vegetables, sometimes with a sauce (be careful of sauces that add too many calories or sodium). Prepared vegetable dumplings, soups or wraps are also possibilities.

If you're smart enough to get into college and can use the Internet, you can find thousands of more ideas that will work with limited kitchen facilities.
  • lb628
    Options
    As others have said... weight fluctuates. I've seen a more than 5 lb variation within a day. And one binge will not affect long term weight. So, you need to figure out what you can eat healthily long-term.

A first stab at healthy dorm room food... (You didn't say if you have a mini-fridge, anyway to heat it, like a toaster oven, or what kind of access you have to grocery stores.)
    * fresh fruit that keeps well at room temp: apples, pears, oranges, tangerines, bananas
    * wasabi peas
    * dried fruit: pineapple, prunes, dates (a bit sugar dense, but good in small quantities)
    * carrots, celery, tomatoes, bell peppers (crudite, if you have a mini-fridge, some dressing, dip or avocado is a nice addition)
    * trail mix: nuts, whole grains and fruit

I do have a mini fridge! I live out of that thing. I have a ton of canned vegetables, it's just not what I first go for when I'm hungry. I eat apples and peaches every day. I love corn and black beans, green beans, asparagus, and I get the canned mixed vegetables. I also have spinach salads frequently. They just aren't very satiating, so I like to have them with a cup of oatmeal and some protein.

Also, I love pistachios, but do y'all think almonds are a better choice? I'm about to head to the grocery store and need to get some staples
  • lb628
    Options
    Yes, if you get into a yo-yo pattern, you can mess up your metabolism making it harder to lose the weight.

My thought was that having one day of going pretty far over could shock my metabolism so it won't slow down and would maybe burn the fat faster.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Actually in the plastic bag section you can find these nifty little steamer bags with the information you need to know for how long to cook particular veggies. They turn out pretty well too.
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you are a D1 athlete, do you have access to a nutritionist? Most college athletic departments have nutritionists on staff that work with the strength/conditioning coaches to help their athletes. They help to make sure your diet is appropriate and that your weight is where it should be, since you are most likely burning a huge amount of calories, and it is very important that you are eating the right kind of foods.

I played baseball at a D3 school 25 years ago, and even then we had a nutritionist working with us. They had us all on very strict high calorie, high protein diets.
  • lb628
    Options
    If you are a D1 athlete, do you have access to a nutritionist? Most college athletic departments have nutritionists on staff that work with the strength/conditioning coaches to help their athletes. They help to make sure your diet is appropriate and that your weight is where it should be, since you are most likely burning a huge amount of calories, and it is very important that you are eating the right kind of foods.

I played baseball at a D3 school 25 years ago, and even then we had a nutritionist working with us. They had us all on very strict high calorie, high protein diets.

We do have a nutritionist and I have met with her multiple times, but I don't need to know more about how to eat healthy. I'm just concerned I'm not losing weight when I feel like I am doing all the right things.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    2,500 calories is the same amount of food that a 210 pound man eats, Hodgetwins to be exact. Try 1700 calories.