I did it! My first 5K.

Options
This morning I got up at 6am to start getting ready for the race. Completely nervous that I was going to be laying somewhere on the side of the road and not able to finish I gave my husband a kiss and walked to the starting line.

The air horn sounded and we were off! I started running, that was a really stupid idea. I almost burned out before the first mile marker and honestly thought I wasn't going to make it but I kept going!

At mile two they had a table with water and I was so over joyed! I drank some, had a cup thrown on me and splashed the rest of the cup on my head. Then my second wind came and I was able to get out from behind everyone, yes everyone I was the tail for a short time.

We finally reached the downhill portion and I let gravity take over! I was 7th front the back. my second wind kicked in and I passed all 6 of the other girls at the tail. I could see the mile 3 marker coming up and I started talking to myself "I can do it! I can do it!" Two girls past me by with only .10 miles to go.

I made it to the finish line and people I had never met were cheering, they were cheering for me! I crossed the finish line with a time of 44 minutes! Which is awesome being that I set a goal for myself of 45, not a huge difference but still awesome. I did not finish last! My one major goal was to not finish last! When I got home I took a three hour nap, I earned it! :P

I am 227 pounds, obese, not a runner and I finished a 5K!

Replies

• Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!!

Congratulations! Well done. You should be very proud! Way to go...here is to more races in your future!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    congrats!!! my first race is in July!! can't wait!!! :smile:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hurray for you! I did the same today! And there were TV cameras there :( But I made it, too!
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Congrats! So excited for you...on to the next one!
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Pure awesomeness! You don't know me either but I am cheering for you too!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My first 5k is next weekend and I'm nervous as all get out! LOL LIke you, my goal is to finish by 45 minutes - a long time to some but for me its a challenge right now. I can only hope to do as well as you did :D
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Obscuring
    Obscuring Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You're awesome!!! If you can do it, I can do it! :3
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Awe COngrats!!! I bet you feel on top of the world!!! See what you can do when you put your mind to it!
  • vegequeen1
    vegequeen1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well done - a fabulous achievement :)
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot one part of the story. I got myself home had some frozen yogurt and took a nap for 3 hours :P
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats! The great thing about your first 5K? You now have a time to beat for your second 5K.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congrats on successfully completing your first 5K. You deserved that nap and frozen yogurt!!!
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,401 Member
    Options
    You did great; Congratulations. You should be very proud of yourself.
  • eddierichardson73
    eddierichardson73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just walked my first one and am going to train to walk/jog next one and hopefully run the next. Thank you this post was great motivation.
  • freyaheart
    Options
    http://youtu.be/taCMAhv2wkw

So the song from The Biggest Loser is stuck in my head. :P
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Keep it up!
  • freyaheart
    Options
    Great job! I just walked my first one and am going to train to walk/jog next one and hopefully run the next. Thank you this post was great motivation.

You can do it!!
  • freyaheart
    Options
    Congrats! My first 5k is next weekend and I'm nervous as all get out! LOL LIke you, my goal is to finish by 45 minutes - a long time to some but for me its a challenge right now. I can only hope to do as well as you did :D

Oh stop you are making me blush! You'll do great! Don't run at the beginning like I did save your energy for the final stretch.
  • mira2602
    mira2602 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    well done! that nap was well deserved:happy:
    I am running my 1st 5km 22/6...a bit scared, so far only using treadmill at the moment.