45 Grams of Protein Per Day?

Options

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Help! How do I keep my protein to 45 grams per day? Any suggestions? I keep going over.

OP just joined MFP today and this was her first post. I am guessing OP is a troll.

pretty sad that your immediate thought is 'troll' rather than 'newbie'

I apologize to OP if I am wrong. It would mean she had a 45g protein goal prior to joining MFP today and had been tracking it on her own. That is possible and this could be her first question. If my suspicion is wrong I am sorry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    that is likely to be excessive for a female. 08-1g/lb should suffice in most cases.

^^agreed - and in the case of the poster above, even that is likely too high (or higher than necessarily). I would aim to get about 120g min and 160g max as a general range.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    that is likely to be excessive for a female. 08-1g/lb should suffice in most cases.

This might be another stupid question, but is that .8-1g per pound for what I weigh now or what my goal weight is? I still have A LOT to lose so if I do the math based on the 160 pounds I'm shooting for that's still in the 128-160 range, but if I do the math based on where I'm currently at, that range is significantly higher.

Edit:

I'll just aim for 120-160 and not worry so much about it. I'm just trying to do everything right, ya know?
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    you should be getting 1-1.2 grams of protein per lb. of body weight.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    you should be getting 1-1.2 grams of protein per lb. of body weight.

That seems a little high. Do you mean per lb of LBM?
  • ballewstacy
    Options
    My protein intake is low too. What are you eating to get so much protein anyway?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This might be another stupid question, but is that .8-1g per pound for what I weigh now or what my goal weight is? I still have A LOT to lose so if I do the math based on the 160 pounds I'm shooting for that's still in the 128-160 range, but if I do the math based on where I'm currently at, that range is significantly higher.

Edit:

I'll just aim for 120-160 and not worry so much about it. I'm just trying to do everything right, ya know?

Good plan.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Edit:

Good plan.

yep, unless you have kidney issues going over the 'recommnded' amount is no big deal.
  • Vinyarddog
    Vinyarddog Posts: 67
    Options
    I had 188 grams today
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i get like 250 a day ...you are fine
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have an average of 125 grams a day. (Between 100-150)
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Advice? Stop stressing, eat your calories and call it a day... You can't do "everything right" no one can... stop stressing yourself out on things that aren't important.

I'm not stressing, just asking because I'm still pretty new to all of this. And while it might not be important to others, it is to me. Maybe I can't do everything perfectly, but I can sure try to get it right. =)

Thanks for your help!
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Help! How do I keep my protein to 45 grams per day? Any suggestions? I keep going over.

OP just joined MFP today and this was her first post. I am guessing OP is a troll.

pretty sad that your immediate thought is 'troll' rather than 'newbie'
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Advice? Stop stressing, eat your calories and call it a day... You can't do "everything right" no one can... stop stressing yourself out on things that aren't important.

I'm not stressing, just asking because I'm still pretty new to all of this. And while it might not be important to others, it is to me. Maybe I can't do everything perfectly, but I can sure try to get it right. =)

Thanks for your help!

It is important to try to maintain LBM as you lose, so it's a good thing to try to get right. That said, there is a range of what is right, so you don't have to hit the exact gram amount every single day.

While protein intake isn't the only factor in being able to maintain LBM as you lose, it does matter.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sorry I quoted that by mistake what I meant to say was agreeing someone is not necessarily a troll for asking a question we are not all rocket scientists or experts on MFP. I am still learning slowly about the program and what it does. I don't know all the ins and outs and am surely not a troll. Be kind not accusatory please
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Thanks for your help!

It is important to try to maintain LBM as you lose, so it's a good thing to try to get right. That said, there is a range of what is right, so you don't have to hit the exact gram amount every single day.

While protein intake isn't the only factor in being able to maintain LBM as you lose, it does matter.

IMO lifting heavy things is far more important than getting adequate protein. Have all the dietary protein in the world but the "use it or lost it" definitely applies for LBM retention.

When I lost a 25kg (50lbs) I had well over 1g/lb of LBM protein intake and all I did was running & boxing. End result = skinny fat weakling.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Thanks for your help!

IMO lifting heavy things is far more important than getting adequate protein. Have all the dietary protein in the world but the "use it or lost it" definitely applies for LBM retention.

When I lost a 25kg (50lbs) I had well over 1g/lb of LBM protein intake and all I did was running & boxing. End result = skinny fat weakling.

I totally agree, strength training > protein intake. But, I was trying to be a good girl and stay on topic :flowerforyou: My apologies if I made it sound overly simplistic.
  • grow_n_show
    grow_n_show Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't be concerned with high protein intake as a lot of it is just going to pass through you.

Eat a diet high in fats/protein and moderate carbs for a healthier life.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Thanks for your help!

I totally agree, strength training > protein intake. But, I was trying to be a good girl and stay on topic :flowerforyou: My apologies if I made it sound overly simplistic.

all good :smile:

I was just sharing my 2c since I'm bored :tongue:
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I shoot for around 120 grams a day to help minimize loss of LBM. Don't sweat going over, MFP sets it insanely low.

Pretty much all of the knowledgeable people on here who have quite a bit of muscle mass and have maintained it well have said this, they are who I am deferring to in this issue :flowerforyou:

I shoot for a minimum of 120'ish grams a day also - preferably 130g, depending on the circumstances.

Treat the protein as a minimum and I would actively try to seek going over by quite a bit, especially assuming you are in a caloric deficit and/or exercising.

How are ladies eating this much protein? I wouldn't be able to eat anything else. :/