Do your family/friends find your diet annoying?

Options
124»

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My mother supports my eating habits for the most part, except that she does object to the amount I spend on pastured eggs (or any non-conventionally raised food) vs just going to the store.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You know most of the time people are either impressed or they are curious about my weight loss plan.

My mum is the only person that has a hard time with. It's not that she thinks I'm fussy, she just can't seem to accept that I won't eat certain things or that I want things a certain way.

My wife and I have dinner at mum's once a week and mum always asks us what we want to eat. Feeding us is her last connection to me, I think, so I can't just tell her that we'll just visit without having dinner.

She'll say things like "It's ok that I shallow fried this, the oil is low cholesterol". Sure the oil is fine but there's too much of it! I try to explain that to her and she gets upset.

I just bring my scales and weight what she makes. It's hard when it's traditional lebanese or senegalese food (very rich stuff) because while I could Pacman that stuff, only a small amount of that kind of food puts me over my calorie goal.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't really get snide remarks, as much as I get "why are you tracking calories? That's too much work/obsessive". People forget that even if you eat all healthy, if you consume massive amounts of calories while doing it, it won't help you lose weight.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Totally. Even some of my friends on their own "diet" path have been jerks. But then there is super supportive people and you have to chalk it up to some insecurity on their end...why else would they be negative to someone in their life?
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Well, my family is supportive now. But, only cuz they don't really want me to die. Yeah, I was heading there pretty quickly. Also I didn't know I was dieting from around mid October - March. I lost some weight. It was odd first thing was my shirts felt looser. I didn't really believe I was losing until a pair of pants I had outgrown fit again, they are almost baggy now.

So anyway, they are fine that I am trying to lose weight. They are mildly annoyed that I am still a vegetarian(after a year and some months) with a preference for vegan foods.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Last year my mother made a lifestyle change and went on a vegan diet. She stopped going to "yummy restaurants" stopped keeping bacon and meat in the house, and for the love of god there was never any milk other than almond milk -.-. I realized that sometimes I would say things to her like " Eww why are you eating that?" or "Mom it looks like your sandwich is a garden, it looks disgusting!" now at the end of the year she is down almost 90 pounds and her body is BANGIN.

In a sad moment of realization it came to me that ... I am the bad guy... Instead of encouraging her, I questioned her. Instead of telling her how proud I am of her, I chose not to eat dinner at her house with her "yucky vegan food". One day we went shopping together and we were giggling and trying on dresses, I realized that my 52 year old mother looked 100 times better in one of the dresses than i did. She was wearing size 10 pants when I was wearing 16's. I told her that day that I was tired of looking the way i did and I wanted to change my life. She said " Okay, we can do this together" And now I eat at her house all the time, she tells me about great recipes which are ..who knew... very yummy lol and she is there for me and supportive. Even my younger brother is supporting me and is acting as my personal trainer. He spends two hours of his time 5 days a week to kick my butt into shape and it's working! I am so lucky to have a family who supports me and wants what's best for me. I apologized to my mom by baking her a low fat vegan cake.I must admit, it was the best tasting cake i ever had.

This is very honest and a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing!
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    personally I don't care what people think abotu what I am eating etc.. mind you I DO have supportive friends and family.. but I do this for ME.. not for anyone else..
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Nope. Hubby asks if I can eat somewhere I want when we go out. He normally has fish n chips...so as long as I got a sushi place nearby I'm all good & he knows it. We have always eaten separate meals anyway, so it's no big deal. He wont eat what I do, I wont eat what he does.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    They did at first. Then they watched me lose a crap ton of weight, and now they're cool with it.

Same here. Almost as sweet as revenge.
  • Karlynn1993
    Karlynn1993 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been in college for 2 years now, gained the freshman 15 (twice might I add) and lost about 9 pounds last year and then regained it all this past year in my second year of college. I would eat out 4-6 times a week leaving my bank account empty and a fatter version of me

My brother was the one who showed me MFP and I have been using it for a month now having lost close to 5 pounds. He gets remarks from his wife sometimes about having to log everything in to keep track and it bugs her sometimes... ahah.. then she turns around and starts using MFP :)

I planned out my new lifestyle on May 1st 2013 and have gotten to my goal of cutting out all soda and sugary pop drinks, I now drink 8 cups of water a day and eat a handful of fruits and trying to get more veggies in. I also exercise for about 2 hours a day 5 days a week.

I have never received any rude or insightful comments on using MFP as I have gotten my sister and mom to join as well. My fiance of 2 years (we've been together about 5 and a half years now) is very encouraging of my new lifestyle change and hopes nothing but the best for me. I hope someday he might consider using MFP and my dad as well since he is very over weight. My mom has really encouraged me with this as well, one day I mentioned about having a cheat day and maybe eating at the poutinery downtown and she just flipped and said... but all your hard work of being healthy and committing to loose weight will be ruined.. this is a good kind or criticism.. but I did eventually get my poutine and lost 2 extra pounds that week.. weird how it works. I did that a few weeks ago but with eating half of a pizza by myself.. lost another 2 pounds the same week but was consistently working out and eating healthy afterwards.

However when my fiance and I stay over at his parents place a couple of days... his mother always makes some kind of dessert. I have turned down many a time and just get the laugh to the face and she sits there stuffing her face saying it's soooooo goood.. to bad you don't want any... ... AHAHAHAH YA RIGHT ... I am entitled to eat what I please and if I'm full from a good home cooked meal and don't want cake or dounuts or pie shoved down my throat.. you can have your extra pounds... I don't..

My dad has managed to loose about 30 pounds on his own but struggles everyday with eating habits. I go over for a visit some time and he asks do you want soup, spaghetti with meat sauce or some other canned food. I have to turn everything down as I really could not care for canned soup full of salt which would make me bloated. I want to try and get him on the right track so maybe I can mention to him about MFP and get him on the way to a healthier life :)

42765820.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com -
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    They did at first. Then they watched me lose a crap ton of weight, and now they're cool with it.

this.

also a little bit of haters gonna hate
  • mjh4cwh1
    mjh4cwh1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My mom tells me to stop telling her how many caolories are in everything, she doesn' t want to know.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm just now switching from WW to MFP in the last week. My mother asked me the other day what it is that I eat on WW.
    I started telling her that usually for breakfast I'll have a 1/2 cup of blueberries, mix it with either 0% Fage or oatmeal, add a tsp of honey and chia seeds.

She kind of gave me a funny look and asked how many points were in a Burger King croissant with sausage and cheese.

:noway: