Do I listen to my body or the numbers?

Options
So, MFP says I shouldn't consume less than 1200 calories per day or risk starvation mode. But everyone always says to listen to your body and only snack when you're hungry, and honestly, I could easily consume less than 1000 calories in a day and feel full. As it stands now, I've eaten just over 1,000 calories today and feel completely full. I don't want to risk starvation mode, but it seems silly to forcefeed myself when I'm not even hungry. What should I do?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Unless you're VERY petite, 1200 calories should be your minimum. I just posted this info in another thread, but here are some links that explain some of the basics. The problem with relying on your hunger as a trigger for when to eat is if you eat low-calorie for an extended period of time, your body gets used to it and will tell you it is full even if you need to eat more to adequately fuel your body. If you're having trouble eating enough, up your calories slowly - by 100 or 200 a week until you are eating enough on a regular basis. The occasional light day won't hurt you, but if you do it regularly it will.

A recent but excellent post about all of this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/108362-eating-to-fuel-your-body-very-long

Here are some other "classic" posts for new users:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    Options
    I wouldn't go too much under your set calories for the day! The body needs nutrition! Just eat healthy and try to get as close to them as you can!
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For today you might do yourself a favor and not "forcefeed" yourself any more calories. However your body truly does need to have at a minimum 1200 calories a day in order to carry out it's basic functions (think: pumping blood, sending brain signals, etc). So what do you do in the future: PLAN. Switch out your skim milk for 2%, switch out your 2% cheese for whole milk cheese, switch out that 80/20 beef for 90/10 beef (and so on and so forth). The idea is to replace some of the calories you have removed from your diet. This way you're not eating more, just more calorie laden foods. Also, things like avocados and nuts are great to throw in salads because they are dense with calories and good fats.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I would say, from looking at your diary, that if you want to eat more calories, you should look at breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day because you're giving yourself fuel to get yourself moving. I would say that at 1000 calories a day, you're risking lowering your energy levels, knocking your blood sugar out of whack and missing out on vital nutrients that make you healthy.

If it were a once in a while thing, I would say no big deal, but if it is a regular occurrence - like it sounds like it is, then I would look at upping it. Smoothies are a good way of getting lots of vitamins and nutrients without stuffing your face; depending on what you put in it, you could easily make up the other 200 calories that you're missing on a daily basis.

I'm guessing you want to make some changes in your life, or you wouldn't be here so the best thing to do is go slow and get to the 1200 daily. You may feel like you're force feeding now, but you'll become accustomed to it, like so many others have to become accustomed to eating less. Your body accepts what it is used to. Without making sure you're having a varied diet, you could set yourself for problems in the future.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I'm very new to this and eager to learn! I really appreciate all your help and am taking it to heart.

I have another question: Before I started eating healthy, sweets like ice cream and chocolate were my vice. Now that I'm regularly hitting below my caloric goal, I'm wondering if I should allow myself a treat, like maybe a candy bar, every now and then to use up the extra calories. I wouldn't make this a regular thing, but I figure if it's just every now and then and I stick to my calorie goals, it can't be that bad, right? Is my logic sound? And if so, how often can I do this?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I'm very new to this and eager to learn! I really appreciate all your help and am taking it to heart.

I have another question: Before I started eating healthy, sweets like ice cream and chocolate were my vice. Now that I'm regularly hitting below my caloric goal, I'm wondering if I should allow myself a treat, like maybe a candy bar, every now and then to use up the extra calories. I wouldn't make this a regular thing, but I figure if it's just every now and then and I stick to my calorie goals, it can't be that bad, right? Is my logic sound? And if so, how often can I do this?

An occasional treat would be okay, but it's much better to "spend" your calories on healthy nutritious foods. Good high calorie foods include avocado, nuts, and other foods with healthy fats. For treats, try to eat things that are low in added sugars (which rules out candy bars) and higher in protein or good carbs. I like to make my own fruit smoothies with a milk base, which can be pretty high in calories (250-400) depending on what I put in it. I'll allow myself ice cream occasionally. I would also recommend Lara bars as an occasional treat - most are around 200 calories and are made with fruits and nuts with no added sugars or preservatives (most of them... a few have chocolate chips which have sugar in them, but not too much).

Try spreading your calories out over the day and it makes it much less overwhelming.

Edited to add: if you can do an occasional treat and not go overboard, then it's okay, but some people don't do moderation well when it comes to "goodies", so make sure you honestly ask yourself if you think you can do a truly occasional treat. The one candy-bar type thing I allow myself to eat is dark chocolate - but I only have 1/4 of a bar at a time, which comes out to maybe 100 calories or so, and the dark chocolate has good antioxidants in it.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You could always add in some higher calorie healthy foods like nuts.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Got it, I'll keep all that in mind! Thank you! This is what I love about this site - the amazing support and knowledge of the members. I'm so glad I found MFP!

And thanks everyone for all your help! Again, I really appreciate it. I'm sure you're sick of getting all of these starvation mode-type questions but it just seems so strange to me, against everything I've ever been told, to eat MORE in order to lose weight. (Not saying I don't believe it, it just takes some getting used to. I still feel "bad" when I snack more than I feel I need to - it'll take time to get over that). I will definitely work on meeting my goals though!

All of you, feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like BTW
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree, though, if you don't feel like eating your calories one day, don't. I don't believe in forcefeeding, and sometimes, we're just not hungry.

Now if the pattern continued, that wouldn't be a good thing. But a few days here and there eating 1000 calories is NOT going to lead to starvation mode.

I personally think it is great to zig zag your calories and keep your body guessing.