Healthier eating = Bad acne? HELP!!!

Options
Ever since I started to cut out the things I shouldn't have I noticed a change in my skin... first irritation... then dry patches and now excessive acne on my cheeks and jaw line... and under my neck. I wear makeup a lot and have changed it up some, but nothing I haven't used before with out any reaction... I am also eating foods I have always ate (minus the processed ones) has anyone had a similar problem when changing diet?

Replies

• bonelessskinless
    Options
    this is a tough one. there's a lot of info on acne.org
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water and consuming enough fat? Your body needs some fat in order to survive - keep saturated fats low and get plenty of healthy fats from fish and nuts.
  • TheNewAdventuresofDanni
    TheNewAdventuresofDanni Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A lot of people go through a detox that comes out as acne. Its the body's way for getting rid of the bad things in your system. It;s been happening to me, Keep your skin clean and try to cut back on the make up or try a more natural make up. Mine starting to clear up (it's been about 2 months) But i had a lifetime of crap in me.
    Drinking water could help flush it out faster.
  • facilitators1334
    Options
    Im having the same exact problem..same areas. Mr doctor thinks it's rosacea but it started when I began to eat cleaner. It seems to be better now. It may be hormonal as well. My TOM isn't as crazy the last few months..
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    A lot of people go through a detox that comes out as acne. Its the body's way for getting rid of the bad things in your system. It;s been happening to me, Keep your skin clean and try to cut back on the make up or try a more natural make up. Mine starting to clear up (it's been about 2 months) But i had a lifetime of crap in me.
    Drinking water could help flush it out faster.

So...mysterious toxins built up in my intestines will expel themselves through my pores and somehow cause pimples if I eliminate tasty foods from my diet?

Gotcha.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some of the biggest factors for the clearing of my acne have been:

Water consumption
    Face washing (2 times a day minimum)
    Not touching my face (hands touch everything)
    Changing pillow cases and sheets frequently
  • sullycc
    sullycc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't affect acne, it's a myth!

Wait and see if it settles down, if not, go see a Doctor. It is the most physcologically crippling things that can happen, don't let it go on too long before you get help.

(Yes, I speak from experience)

I also recommend you have a look at www.acne.org

If you have any questions you want to ask then feel free.

I hope you get it sorted :smile:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, but maybe the clue lies in there. If you had dry patches I suggest try and add coconut oil or fish oil to your food. Your skin might be irritated if you don't eat enough fat for a longer period of time.

Just keep it up, my skin has never looked better since I've started eating healthier!

Edit: it may also be caused by other factors like stress. Make sure you're healthy mentally too!
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I suffered from acne for years, so you definitely my sympathies t's could be coincidence with regards to you clean eating. Though remember if you've gone from lots of junk to almost none. You body could simply be protesting. Our bodies are lazy buggers. They don't like change. Give it a couple of month or two. If there's no improvement go to your doctor's. They may be able to give something. In the mean time. Drink lots of water. Calm down on the make up and try mixing up your skincare routine. I suggest Liz Earle she is quite expensive but it's worked wonders for me. Good luck